Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mike Duggan’s Land Value Tax plan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
km1125

Mike Duggan’s Land Value Tax plan

Post by km1125 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:46 pm

Good idea? Bad idea?

Sounds pretty good for a number of reasons. Don't think "developers" should be sitting on property while everyone else is spending to improve the area, only for those "developers" to reap the benefits of the improved area via the rising property values.

----------------------------
Legislature breaks for year without passing Detroit mayor’s tax plan
BY: KEN COLEMAN - NOVEMBER 13, 2023 5:13 AM

The Michigan Legislature broke Thursday for the rest of the calendar year without passing Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan’s Land Value Tax plan (LVT).

The LVT is “a way for Detroit voters to decide whether to cut homeowners’ taxes by an average of 17% and pay for it by increasing taxes on abandoned buildings, parking lots, scrap yards, and other similar properties,” according to the city of Detroit website.

“We were in constant touch with the speaker’s office,” John Roach, Duggan’s spokesman, told the Advance on Friday “There was no time urgency to the LVT bill, since spring passage gives us plenty of time to put it on the November ballot. In light of the very few legislative days, the speaker proposed to take the LVT up first thing in January. We were fully agreeable to that timetable.”

The House failed in attempts last month to pass the legislation. Amber McCann, spokeswoman for House Speaker Joe Tate (D-Detroit), told the Advance on Thursday no more votes would be held this year on the plan, House Bills 4966–4970.

Under the proposed plan, 97% of Detroit homeowners would get a permanent property tax cut starting in 2025, if the state and local officials approve the legislation. The plan would then go to Detroit voters for approval.

Taxes on vacant land, however, would more than double from 85 mills to 189 mills to punish property owners who have allowed it to fall into disrepair, creating eyesores in Detroit neighborhoods.

“With this proposal Detroit will for the first time in decades have a property tax rate that’s comparable to Southfield, Warren, Grosse Pointe, Ferndale, Oak Park, and our neighbors. That is what we are trying to achieve,” said Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan.

State Rep. Stephanie Young (D-Detroit), the lead sponsor of the main bill, House Bill 4966, said the legislation will help homeowners realize savings. Her colleagues, Reps. Karen Whitsett (D-Detroit), Alabas Farhat (D-Dearborn) and Tyrone Carter (D-Detroit) are also sponsors of the package.

“We’re just trying to do something that hasn’t been done,” Young said during an August press conference in Detroit where the legislation was announced.

However, the Detroit-based Coalition for Property Tax Justice does not support the LVT.

It “does nothing about the city of Detroit’s systemic and illegally inflated property tax assessments,” the coalition has stated and its implementation would “dramatically increase the workload of the already overburdened Assessment Division, making illegal property tax assessments more likely.”

“Mayor Duggan must prioritize stopping the illegally inflated property taxes that still affect the city’s lowest valued homes,” said Bernadette Atuahene, a University of Wisconsin property law professor and member of the Coalition for Property Tax Justice. “The city of Detroit has overtaxed homeowners by $600 million and it’s time to get to the root of the problem. That’s what Detroit homeowners want and need.”

https://michiganadvance.com/2023/11/13/ ... -tax-plan/

TC Talks

Re: Mike Duggan’s Land Value Tax plan

Post by TC Talks » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:47 pm

Something needs to motivate commercial slumlords to redevelop or sell...
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:25 pm

Capitalism, bayyyybeeeeee!
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:46 am

Great topic, km1125.

The mayor is correct in seeking solutions to reduce property tax burden of homeowners. He is also correct that slumlords are an issue. However, I would probably be a "no" vote on this legislation.

Increasing millage rates for vacant land is not going to magically spur development or cause vacant land owners to take better care of their property, as the mayor wrongly suggests. Vertical development requires market demand and access to capital. This proposal does neither. Want residents and business to stay or move into the city? Address the rise in crime. The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office is ridiculously underfunded.

This legislation as drafted would likely cause an increase in vacant land parcels falling into property tax forfeiture. The Detroit Land Bank would become well stocked if it isn't already.

Therefore, as a better solution, I would suggest stop handing out crony capitalism tax breaks to billionaires, persuade the legislature to permit a city sales tax in the entertainment district (I would suggest 2 or 3%), work with the county and state to increase funding for the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office, increase and actually enforce financial penalties for slumlords who allow their property to fall into disrepair. Then, reduce tax rates for homeowners.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:57 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:25 pm
Capitalism, bayyyybeeeeee!
That is why so many americas risk their lives trying to sail to Cuba....or am I mixed up?
I no longer directly engage trolls

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:18 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:46 am
Therefore, as a better solution, I would suggest stop handing out crony capitalism tax breaks to billionaires, persuade the legislature to permit a city sales tax in the entertainment district (I would suggest 2 or 3%), work with the county and state to increase funding for the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office, increase and actually enforce financial penalties for slumlords who allow their property to fall into disrepair. Then, reduce tax rates for homeowners.
Were your privy to Snyder's Detroit deal making?

In a nutshell, many slumlords lack the skills to work the state programs such as Brownfield or Mi EDC programs.

Code enforcement isn't handled by the prosecutor, but code enforcement and city attorney.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:10 pm

I said prosecutor's office funding needs to be increased because criminals are being under-prosecuted. This situation deters (desirable) people and businesses from moving into the city.

I am fully aware property blight is a civil infraction, not a criminal matter.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:15 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:10 pm
I said prosecutor's office funding needs to be increased because criminals are being under-prosecuted. This situation deters (desirable) people and businesses from moving into the city.

Sorry for misunderstanding. Building in the exurbs would be safe and cheaper. I don't think that's a prospect for Detroit development.
― Noam Chomsky

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:29 am

As I read all this, I'm curious why Duggan needs Lansing's permission to raise taxes. In the 'burb I live in, we have an assessor we elect every 4 years. Does every city and township ask Lansing before taxes go up?

I dunno. Is Detroit in some sort of receivership or special condition where they need permission while other municipalities don't?
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:37 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:10 pm

I definitely agree that lowering and controlling crime would be a h-u-g-e step in getting more folks to invest and locate within the city boundaries.

But are they really underfunded? Is/would it be just throwing money at a problem? Are there other issues that need to be addressed rather than just the budget?
Round Six wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:29 am
As I read all this, I'm curious why Duggan needs Lansing's permission to raise taxes. In the 'burb I live in, we have an assessor we elect every 4 years. Does every city and township ask Lansing before taxes go up?

I dunno. Is Detroit in some sort of receivership or special condition where they need permission while other municipalities don't?
I don't know all the ins-and-outs of it, but the state definitely has oversight to local taxation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic