Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Governor Whitmer signs gun violence bills

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
km1125

Re: Governor Whitmer signs gun violence bills

Post by km1125 » Wed May 24, 2023 8:19 am

MasterB wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 1:04 am
I don't see this law helping to end gun violence in my opinion use the existing laws that are on the books.
it won't, and it wouldn't have helped in EITHER of the cases she cited when signing it into law. The MSU shooting likely would have been prevented if the local prosecutor didn't dismiss the prior gun charge against the shooter, as he should have been facing a felony charge on that. In Oxford, the parents obviously didn't (couldn't?) recognize their kid had problems and would not have used something like this legislation to prevent their kid from obtaining a weapon....they went as far as BUYING the weapon FOR him as a present!!

Maybe is we stopped normalizing aberrant behaviors in kids he might have stood out as a threat and got the treatment he really needed.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:06 pm

I'd love to know why this guy with a history of violent offenses is only going back to prison for five years.

Should be at least triple that, in my estimation:
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 279889007/

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:58 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:06 pm
I'd love to know why this guy with a history of violent offenses is only going back to prison for five years.

Should be at least triple that, in my estimation:
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 279889007/
Yea, I'm confused. Sounds like there should have been at least SIX charges against him for that one incident!!

The reporter writes he "wasn't supposed to have a gun on him", but in reality he wasn't supposed to even OWN a gun!! If it was his gun, how did he obtain it? If it wasn't his, whose was it? And there should also have been brandishing charges based on each person who was downstream of the barrel that evening.

But, in keeping with the OP... does Whitmer's new laws prevent situations like this?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:49 pm

Don't worry, guys. If it was me, I would have had the book thrown at me.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:52 am

km1125 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:58 pm

But, in keeping with the OP... does Whitmer's new laws prevent situations like this?
No. But, it makes the uniformed feel better and Whitmer is able to say she's done something to curb gun violence.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic