Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer repeals right-to-work, reinstates prevailing wage in Michigan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Whitmer repeals right-to-work, reinstates prevailing wage in Michigan

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:36 am

keto wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:28 am
Rate This wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:15 am
keto wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:11 am
Rate This wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:38 am
Taco wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:32 am
A uniform you are required to wear is completely different than taking additional money from your pay check without your consent and forcing you to join an organization you are against and or want no part of.
This is more like applying at Hooters or Twin Peaks then complaining that you have to wear revealing tank tops or shorts. You knew it when you walked into the place to apply. Get real
Then don’t work there.
Or, better yet, don’t force people to do what they don’t want to.
Or best yet… avoid the problem in the first place. Nobody held a gun to their head and told them to work there. But it’s a condition of employment.
Let's say a majority of your coworkers voted that a portion of every check you receive goes to the Catholic Church, or the Chamber of Commerce, or another private entity. Oh, and if you don't pay, you're fired. The union is no different.
Then petition for it to go the other way and win. Problem solved.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:46 pm

Q: Why should I, as a condition of employment, be compelled to join the Union?

A: Because, in a legally binding contract, the employer an Union agreed that all employees shall become members of the Union.

Q: Why should I have to pay Union dues if I don’t want to?

A: Because, in the legally binding contract, the employer agreed to deduct Union dues from the pay of all employees

Q: Why should I have to work the hours of work as set out in the contract? I don’t like shift work

A: Because, in the legally binding contract, the parties agreed to those hours of work.

Q: Why should I have to accept the rate of pay set out in the collective agreement? I think I’m worth more

A: Because, in a legally binding contract, the parties agreed to those rates of pay.

Q: What can I do if I don’t like the rate of pay?

A: You can quit your job and go somewhere else

Q: What can I do if I don’t like the hours of work?

A: You can quit your job and go somewhere else with more favourable working hours

Q: What if I don’t like being forced to join a Union and to pay dues?

A: If the employer didn’t advise you of that before they hired you, quit your job immediately, lawyer up and sue the employer for misrepresentation.

If they did advise you, then why the Hell did you take the job? quit your whining.
Last edited by Turkeytop on Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:14 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:46 pm
Q: Why should I, as a condition of employment, be compelled to join the Union?

A: Because, in a legally binding contract, the employer an Union agreed that all employees shall become members of the Union.

Q: Why should I have to pay Union dues if I don’t want to?

A: Because, in the legally binding contract, the employer agreed to deduct Union dues from the pay of all employees

Q: Why should I have to work the hours of work as set out in the contract? I don’t like shift work

A: Because, in the legally binding contract, the parties agreed to those hours of work.

Q: Why should I have to accept the rate of pay set out in the collective agreement? I think I’m worth more

A: Because, in a legally binding contract, the parties agreed to those rates of pay.

Q: What can I do if I don’t like the rate of pay?

A: You can quit your job and go somewhere else

Q: What can I do if I don’t like the hours of work?

A: You can quit your job and go somewhere else with more favourable working hours

Q: What if I don’t like being forced to jpin a Union and to pay dues?

A: If the employer didn’t advise you of that before they hired you, quit your job immediately, lawyer up and sue the employer for misrepresentation.

If they did advise you, the why the Hell did you take the job? quit your whining.
Nice nat swatting...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Taco

Post by Taco » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:44 pm

Union dues are a ransom...you either pay up or you can't work here. Lame-o. People should be able to work anywhere they want without being discriminated against for any reason, including refusal to join a union.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Taco

Post by Taco » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:27 pm

I was just now thinking about those who are working in a unionized business that chose not to be part of the union during the old law. These people will now lose their jobs if they don't accept the new law. I find it unlikely that they'd be grandfathered in. Would be a terrible shame, especially if they'd been with the company for some time.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:18 pm

Taco wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:27 pm
I was just now thinking about those who are working in a unionized business that chose not to be part of the union during the old law. These people will now lose their jobs if they don't accept the new law. I find it unlikely that they'd be grandfathered in. Would be a terrible shame, especially if they'd been with the company for some time.
Here’s the fundamental problem with the old law and it was put there by Republican lawmakers to drain the unions:
You can choose to not be in the Union and not pay dues. Great. Fine. But the Union had to represent you anyways. Effectively you got the Union benefits for free by not joining. That ain’t right.

You can not join and that’s great but if something goes sideways you’re on your own Jack. That’s the way it should be.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:30 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:18 pm
...But the Union had to represent you anyways. Effectively you got the Union benefits for free by not joining. That ain’t right.
Are you sure it went that far? I thought it only went as far as you were covered by the protections contained in any union-employer contract; I wasn't aware that you got representation as well.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:32 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:30 pm
Rate This wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:18 pm
...But the Union had to represent you anyways. Effectively you got the Union benefits for free by not joining. That ain’t right.
Are you sure it went that far? I thought it only went as far as you were covered by the protections contained in any union-employer contract; I wasn't aware that you got representation as well.
Everything I can find indicates that those who opted out of the dues were still fully covered under the union contract. This included representation.

Representation is probably the single most important thing the union provides. It’s like an insurance policy. Well worth a pittance in dues.

If I’m not mistaken you got the benefits without the costs. Dues are how the union funds the representation so if you wanted to hurt them this would be an easy way to do it.
Last edited by Rate This on Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:41 pm

Yes. The Union even has to fight your grievance for you when you f**k up.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:36 pm

Taco wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:44 pm
People should be able to work anywhere they want without being discriminated against for any reason, including refusal to join a union.
That's right. And why should they discriminate against me just because I refuse to work Tuesdays. That's so unfair.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:06 pm

Again, she shows that she's only pro choice when it comes to killing babies.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:14 pm

keto wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:17 pm
Bryce wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:06 pm
Again, she shows that she's only pro choice when it comes to killing babies.
The decision of whether to kill one’s kids is an important one, and one that should only be made between the mother and her physician.
You’re only able to keep a straight face for like 4 days? Pathetic.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:56 pm

I have mixed feelings about Unions, The UFCW was pretty useless, I had to join them when I worked at Kroger and the now defunct Foodtown chain (SE MI/NW OH). They just took your money. However, I know that's not how all unions are.

In my view however, Gov.Whitmer did the right thing. I don't like the idea of getting something for nothing, meaning people who opt out still get the benefits of the union without paying, that's being a freeloader. It's like bumbing cigarettes off people instead of buying your own (I don't smoke btw). If you don't want to be in a Union, then don't apply for a job in a Union shop. There problem solved, pay me now and thank me later :)

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:29 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:56 pm
I have mixed feelings about Unions, The UFCW was pretty useless, I had to join them when I worked at Kroger and the now defunct Foodtown chain (SE MI/NW OH). They just took your money. However, I know that's not how all unions are.

In my view however, Gov.Whitmer did the right thing. I don't like the idea of getting something for nothing, meaning people who opt out still get the benefits of the union without paying, that's being a freeloader. It's like bumbing cigarettes off people instead of buying your own (I don't smoke btw). If you don't want to be in a Union, then don't apply for a job in a Union shop. There problem solved, pay me now and thank me later :)
A Union is only as good as its members want to make it. Members need to get involved and participate in their Union.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:28 pm

Fair point, I think the trouble in retail is you have such high turnover that people stay 2 years maybe and move on. So not many bother with it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic