Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer repeals right-to-work, reinstates prevailing wage in Michigan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Whitmer repeals right-to-work, reinstates prevailing wage in Michigan

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:30 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:28 pm
Fair point, I think the trouble in retail is you have such high turnover that people stay 2 years maybe and move on. So not many bother with it.
That and until recently the upward mobility and strong bargaining position for better wages and benefits wasn’t there in that sector. Stores do need to keep costs down and it’s a low margin thing.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:50 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:30 pm
Riff Raff wrote:
Fair point, I think the trouble in retail is you have such high turnover that people stay 2 years maybe and move on. So not many bother with it.
That and until recently the upward mobility and strong bargaining position for better wages and benefits wasn’t there in that sector. Stores do need to keep costs down and it’s a low margin thing.
Both bring up good points. Some kid in high school isn't going to make a career at the Meijer. Union dues coming out of a low paying job can be a bit of "sticker shock". I'm sure Riff Raff knows what I mean.

And going along with what Rate says, how can Meijer and Kroger compete with Walmart? This coming February, the UFCW contract is coming up. Don't be surprised if those who had to join hold out for a healthy wage increase.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:12 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:29 pm
Riff Raff wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:56 pm
I have mixed feelings about Unions, The UFCW was pretty useless, I had to join them when I worked at Kroger and the now defunct Foodtown chain (SE MI/NW OH). They just took your money. However, I know that's not how all unions are.

In my view however, Gov.Whitmer did the right thing. I don't like the idea of getting something for nothing, meaning people who opt out still get the benefits of the union without paying, that's being a freeloader. It's like bumbing cigarettes off people instead of buying your own (I don't smoke btw). If you don't want to be in a Union, then don't apply for a job in a Union shop. There problem solved, pay me now and thank me later :)
A Union is only as good as its members want to make it. Members need to get involved and participate in their Union.
That's most of the problem! These folks can't be motivated enough to fight for themselves, why would you expect they're going to be motivated to work for a "bigger cause"??

Taco

Post by Taco » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:13 am

Not wanting to work Tuesdays is completely different. The difference is that your pay check isn't getting raped of union dues.
Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:36 pm
Taco wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:44 pm
People should be able to work anywhere they want without being discriminated against for any reason, including refusal to join a union.
That's right. And why should they discriminate against me just because I refuse to work Tuesdays. That's so unfair.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:27 am

Taco wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:13 am
Not wanting to work Tuesdays is completely different. The difference is that your pay check isn't getting raped of union dues.
Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:36 pm
Taco wrote:
People should be able to work anywhere they want without being discriminated against for any reason, including refusal to join a union.
That's right. And why should they discriminate against me just because I refuse to work Tuesdays. That's so unfair.
But just because the Company and the Union agreed that Tuesday is a work day, why shoulld I have to accept that?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:05 pm

Round Six wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:50 am
Rate This wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:30 pm
Riff Raff wrote:
Both bring up good points. Some kid in high school isn't going to make a career at the Meijer. Union dues coming out of a low paying job can be a bit of "sticker shock". I'm sure Riff Raff knows what I mean.

And going along with what Rate says, how can Meijer and Kroger compete with Walmart? This coming February, the UFCW contract is coming up. Don't be surprised if those who had to join hold out for a healthy wage increase.
Right and yes, I remember working those jobs when I was late in high school and into my very early 20s. I'm not sure how long those contracts last but yeah for sure.

I've worked for the same company for about 19 years, we are NON union but we did have a drive once and it failed. I have mixed feelings about having a union at my work. Still, even though the drive failed some good came out of it.

One of the managers that IMO caused the whole thing to happen, quietly disappeared, which was satisfying.

So like a lot of things in life, it's a mixed bag IMO

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:17 pm

Recently started a job making 22.55 an hour at Saralee frozen Bakery in Traverse City which is unionized.During a week long orientation,union reps said they negotiated a new contract with the plant that just kicked in on December 5th 2022.My questions are, will I have to eventually pay union dues or a fee? Join the Union itself?If so when and for possibly how much?or am I Grandfatherd in?

Little side bits,Worked in restaurants for 35+ years,my last job for over 12..Really loved my craft but decided to leave because I disliked dealing with the very high substance abuse which became very chronic.Saralee does mandatory preemployment drug testing.

Also currently unemployed at the moment until April 24th as they are doing no food production this week and greatly reducing production for the next 3 weeks in order to get their inventory at a proper level.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:53 pm

Taco wrote:
Union dues are a ransom...you either pay up or you can't work here. Lame-o. People should be able to work anywhere they want without being discriminated against for any reason, including refusal to join a union.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:08 pm

ADD in TC wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:17 pm
Recently started a job making 22.55 an hour at Saralee frozen Bakery in Traverse City which is unionized.During a week long orientation,union reps said they negotiated a new contract with the plant that just kicked in on December 5th 2022.My questions are, will I have to eventually pay union dues or a fee? Join the Union itself?If so when and for possibly how much?or am I Grandfatherd in?
Looks like this new law takes effect on March 30Th 2024,,and yes I will have to pay union dues or a fee to stay employed.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:38 pm

ADD in TC wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:08 pm
ADD in TC wrote:
Looks like this new law takes effect on March 30Th 2024,,and yes I will have to pay union dues or a fee to stay employed.
Where else you gonna make pie money in TC without a Union Contract?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:29 am

ADD in TC wrote:

Don't wait til next year. Start now. It's the best investment you'll ever make.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:32 am

ADD in TC wrote:
ADD in TC wrote:
With any luck, we'll have a constitutional amendment enshrining worker freedom (RTW) in the state constitution and you won't ever have to join IF you don't want to.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Taco

Post by Taco » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:14 am

If the new law takes effect next year, that will give those in a union workplace who aren't union members time to evaluate their situation and even perhaps time to look for a new job.

Just for the record, I am not anti-union, they do serve a purpose. I am just against a "forced joining" of them as a condition of employment. Workers have rights too and these laws take away those rights. But these days I don't think unions are as important as they once were.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:52 am

I'll preface this by saying if you work at a place that has a union, join it. And like Turkey says, be vocal.

One thing you may find out by being a vocal member and pain in the butt towards your union reps, is that it won't take long to become a union official. And now you're not on the shop floor anymore doing the grunt work.

Show up every month at the monthly meetings, and stand up and say something. Don't matter what. Get recognized. If you have a problem with the company, leapfrog the shop steward, and pester the people at the hall. Hang out at the hall even when there are no meetings. Someone walks in with a problem, offer to help them even if you're not a union officer.

When the elections come up, run for office. It's the people everyone knows their name that get elected. And now you're getting paid more to not be on the shop floor.

Like I said in an earlier post, the thing with paying dues is it can be an appreciable amount of money if you are working somewhere that don't pay all that much.

For those on here that work for the UAW or USW or other high paying jobs getting lots of hours, the dues is a miniscule amount coming out.

When your only making $13 an hour, and are lucky to get 20 hours a week, some people have a hard time choosing to have two hours a month to come out of their cheque.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:15 pm

Good advice. If I am ever in that situation, I will remember to do that.

As I mentioned, I work in a non-union Warehouse. Now, I've stated my view on Unions and said I see drawbacks and plus's. On a personal note, if my place did have one, I would have filed a grievance this week after being reprehended for some un-written rule/loophole that has not been enforced in years, sort of a gray area kind of thing. In any event, it's some manager who ate a big breakfast and wants to prove himself to the big boss's.

I went to one of the higher ups and challenged it, waiting for a response. In the meantime, it was announced that they are enforcing this rule now. In a case like this, I can see how a union would be a good thing, when some punk Schmuck boss wants to prove to everyone that his s--t doesn't stink.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic