Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer announces Tax Cut

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Whitmer announces Tax Cut

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:26 pm

Adding pre-school is the biggest move, given the state of day care in the state. Pre-school will dramatically improve cognitive development and better people. It's amazing Michigan has waited so long. Tutoring help is also an interesting way to further education. Imagine college students getting financial support helping the next generation learn.

Who is going to complain about tax cuts...
With her party in control of the legislature and billions of dollars in the bank, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer laid out a plan to cut taxes while expanding social programs in the first State of the State address of her second term.

“We might not be able to solve inflation or supply chain issues on our own, but we must work together to lower costs and put Michiganders on the path to a brighter future,” Whitmer said.

She cast Democrats’ sweeping victory last November as direction from Michiganders to tackle pocketbook issues, reduce education costs and build the workforce, but also touched on the social issues that drove that election: abortion, civil rights, infrastructure and climate change and, on top of it all, called on the legislature to strike outdated laws from the books.

The largest of the proposals, to establish universal free preschool for all four-year-olds in Michigan, a significant expansion of early childhood education and another longtime policy aim for Whitmer.
The largest of the proposals, to establish universal free preschool for all four-year-olds in Michigan, a significant expansion of early childhood education and another longtime policy aim for Whitmer.

“Every parent knows an early start is critical to their child’s future,” she said. “It’s why we read, talk, and sing to our babies, worry about finding a great child care provider, and have wait lists for great preschools.”

It’s part of a broader series of educational spending Whitmer would like to see, which includes “investing in tutoring, after-school programs, and other learning supports gets children 1-on-1 time with a caring, qualified educator that they need to succeed.”

She called on the legislature to pass a law funding individualized tutoring by their spring break, the first week of April.
Mlive

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Whitmer announces Tax Cut

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:02 pm

Unfortunately, Medicaid has severely cut the amount of locations one can go for non emergency care, especially mental health. I like funding pre K, but mental healthcare needs to be expanded ASAP.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:05 pm

I'm just checking in to who is going to have a problem with this plan.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:21 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:05 pm
I believe Audiophile and his kids have never been to a school. He tends to object to education.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:31 pm

The pension tax repeal is an unnecessary handout and out of line with most other states.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:33 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:21 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
I believe Audiophile and his kids have never been to a school. He tends to object to education.
No school... Unless you count bible camp.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:33 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:31 pm
The pension tax repeal is an unnecessary handout and out of line with most other states.
Working class version of the inheritance tax... it should be eliminated.

― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:32 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:33 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:21 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
No school... Unless you count bible camp.
I have said on multiple occasions here that my kids go to public school.

They are heavily involved in after school activates and are straight A students too.

They have helped at Bible Camp and VBS in the summer.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:21 am

That's good to hear

― Noam Chomsky

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:31 am

All for the preschool.
The only caveat is who's teaching?
This would be nice if it was an extension of public education. The governor's intent is for the kids to be taught.

I have no doubt this has the potential to cause a groundswell of home daycares. Someone smells money, calls themselves a daycare, but has no clue (or no intention) how to teach kids, and is nothing more than a piss poor babysitter.

You have to admit this will happen. News reports of kids that were just ignored all day while Big Bertha lays on the couch with her nose in the phone, collecting a check from the state.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:32 am

Pre School is quite different than day care.

― Noam Chomsky

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:21 am

Round Six wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:31 am
All for the preschool.
The only caveat is who's teaching?
This would be nice if it was an extension of public education. The governor's intent is for the kids to be taught.

I have no doubt this has the potential to cause a groundswell of home daycares. Someone smells money, calls themselves a daycare, but has no clue (or no intention) how to teach kids, and is nothing more than a piss poor babysitter.

You have to admit this will happen. News reports of kids that were just ignored all day while Big Bertha lays on the couch with her nose in the phone, collecting a check from the state.
I don't doubt that bolded part will be implemented, at least to some degree.

Is this "pre-K" just going to be another year of indoctrination, or are there actually going to be useful goals? I don't have a problem with the concept, just perhaps the implementation.

If we're having all kinds of problems getting enough teachers for K-12, who's going to be handling those roles in the pre-K rooms?

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:47 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:32 am
Pre School is quite different than day care.
We are in agreement. Which is exactly why I said what I did.
Re-reading what I posted, do you see anything in your initial post that ensures what I pondered cannot happen?
Last edited by Round Six on Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:20 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
How about these tax cuts be implemented, immediately??
Not phased in over a few years....
not on hold while the legislature debates figures and amounts..
Do it, NOW, not later, right now...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:01 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:20 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
How about these tax cuts be implemented, immediately??
Not phased in over a few years....
not on hold while the legislature debates figures and amounts..
Do it, NOW, not later, right now...
How about we wait till your dead...

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic