Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Time for Gun Control in Michigan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Time for Gun Control in Michigan

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:11 pm

Sorry for the clickbait, it was just too tempting.

Now that the Democrats control all three, stronger background checks would be a nice start.

What other legislative activities would we like to see that the Republicans have been blocking for decades?

How about funding our roads?

How about funding our public education?

How about restructuring how HUD funds get channeled to house our citizens?

How about pursuing serious public transportation options?

There are all kinds of sensible things we could be doing to better our state and make it more attractive. What would you like to see first?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

km1125

Re: Time for Gun Control in Michigan

Post by km1125 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:10 pm

How about a 45 cent gas tax?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:00 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:10 pm
You want a gas hike? Or do you just get played by gop blowhard rhetoric.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:59 pm

How about putting the people caught carrying guns illegally in jail/prison for much longer terms? Like the guy in Farmington that just shot somebody last week. He had two priors for carrying illegal, twice as a felon, among other convictions, yet he was out on probation and able to shoot someone.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/loc ... gton-home/

Sentence 1
Offense:Robbery ArmedMinimum Sentence:4 years 6 months 0 days
MCL#:750.529 / 769.12Maximum Sentence:15 years 0 months
Court File#:13002420-01-FCDate of Offense:02/01/2013
County:WayneDate of Sentence:11/01/2013
Conviction Type:PleaDischarge Date:02/07/2020
Discharge Reason:Offender Discharge
Sentence 2
Offense:Weapons - Carrying ConcealedMinimum Sentence:0 years 9 months 0 days
MCL#:750.227Maximum Sentence:5 years 0 months
Court File#:05007341-01Date of Offense:07/13/2005
County:WayneDate of Sentence:02/13/2006
Conviction Type:PleaDischarge Date:05/16/2009
Discharge Reason:Offender Discharge
Sentence 3
Offense:Weapons - Carrying Concealed - AttemptMinimum Sentence:0 years 3 months 0 days
MCL#:750.227Maximum Sentence:2 years 6 months
Court File#:0505963-01Date of Offense:05/14/2005
County:WayneDate of Sentence:02/13/2006
Conviction Type:Plea

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:07 pm

Did they ever catch that geriatric psychopath who shot his friend in the face while duck hunting?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:10 pm

The gun problem has been created over years by Republicans. Let's start by limiting how many are in circulation.

― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:25 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:10 pm
The gun problem has been created over years by Republicans. Let's start by limiting how many are in circulation.
a good start would be removing them from the hands of felons. That would limit the REALLY important ones.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:27 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:07 pm
Did they ever catch that geriatric psychopath who shot his friend in the face while duck hunting?
Nah, they let him go so his daughter could go on to become a Trump hunter.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:06 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:00 pm
km1125 wrote:
When Whitmer was elected in 2018,one of her very first acts as Gov was to raise the gas tax .45cents/gallon..(thankfully it did not pass)
In earlier debates with Bill Shutte, he called her out telling us she had plans to slap a .20/cents/gallon tax on gas if she is elected, she of course denied that, and she wasn't lying...
It was .45cents/gallon she had in mind
I will always remember Gretchen as the Gov who when elected, her first act towards the citizens of Michigan was...
to take more $$ from them, instead of finding ways to help and benefit the people of Michigan...
Again, I await stupid replies...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:17 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:06 pm
TC Talks wrote:
km1125 wrote:
When Whitmer was elected in 2018,one of her very first acts as Gov was to raise the gas tax .45cents/gallon..(thankfully it did not pass)
In earlier debates with Bill Shutte, he called her out telling us she had plans to slap a .20/cents/gallon tax on gas if she is elected, she of course denied that, and she wasn't lying...
I will always remember Gretchen as the Gov who when elected, her first act towards the citizens of Michigan was...
to take more $$ from them, instead of finding ways to help and benefit the people of Michigan...
Roads don't build themselves. That was a campaign promise the now minority GOP blocked through out her first term...

Now that the oil companies are gouging us, it's not a practical funding avenue. Funny how we only remember SOME of what happened.

― Noam Chomsky

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:48 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:17 pm
lidoshuffle wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:06 pm
TC Talks wrote:
km1125 wrote:
Roads don't build themselves. That was a campaign promise the now minority GOP blocked through out her first term...

Now that the oil companies are gouging us, it's not a practical funding avenue. Funny how we only remember SOME of what happened.
I stand by my comment, again, her first act as Gov, dip her political hands into the bank accounts of Michigan residents, instead of tapping that billions state surplus , go ahead TC, keep blaming the party you disagree with politically for all of your life's negative issues....
Thanks for the stupid reply, you never fail to disappoint.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:42 pm

Enjoy our Democrat Governor, Senate and House. Did you realize the state just rewarded Whitmer by sending your GOP packing?

Always enjoy name calling along with the lack of historic perspective.

Let's get some sensible gun control.

― Noam Chomsky

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:49 am

Comments on the original post:

Gun control and background checks:
All for extensive background checks. Why not? An extended waiting period is fine with me. Look how long we have to wait on passports?
Don't see any reason for folks to wait a little longer to get a gun.

But just how do you propose what you call "gun control". I believe I have read there are 3 guns for every American. Sure it would of been nice if the good ol' USA would of gotten rigid many years ago like other countries. Saying "But Australia ... " or "But Canada ... " is a futile argument. The horse is out of the barn now. No use trying to close that gate. No use wah-wahing about what could of been. Or what politicians could of done in the past. The time has come for a constructive plan for what we have now. My personal opinion, no one has the right answer yet.
But I do like what someone else said, mandatory jail for anyone carrying a gun that they shouldn't have. That's not a bad start if you ask me.

There was a time when I would say "just arm everyone". But like I said before on here, those carrying are hiding behind the chips display instead of shooting back. Or posing with their gun thinking that's a deterrent, and being the first one shot. I don't carry. Never will. Just something I don't want to do.
I do however feel if someone chooses to carry in public, they take on a responsibly to engage for the greater good.
I'm not saying I'm right. Just how I feel.

As far as roads, they're getting enough money now. And there's enough road construction going on now. Let's finish what's currently going on before we add even more detours and lane closures. And let's get away from closing one lane for 20 miles, and they it takes two years for Two Men and a Truck to work their way down from one end to the other. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration. But look at road construction as you pass by. Do both sides really need to be down to one lane for miles and miles. And where's the workers? Yeah, there's a few. I've had old folks say when 75 was being built, they were averaging a mile every week of NEW construction. Now it takes 5 years to rebuilt? I dunno.

I gotta go do some work. Later on I'll post a long treatise about public transportation and education.
Last edited by Circle Seven on Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:07 pm

Circle Seven wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:49 am
... As far as roads, they're getting enough money know. And there's enough road construction going on now. Let's finish what's currently going on before we add even more detours and lane closures. And let's get away from closing one lane for 20 miles, and they it takes two years for Two Men and a Truck to work their way down from one end to the other. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration. But look at road construction as you pass by. Do both sides really need to be down to one lane for miles and miles. And where's the workers? Yeah, there's a few. I've had old folks say when 75 was being built, they were averaging a mile every week of NEW construction. Now it takes 5 years to rebuilt? I dunno. ...
Definitely rethink the BIG road-rebuilding projects. Instead of tearing up both I-75 and I-275 at the same time, only concentrate on ONE of them and give half that project to one company and half to the other. Finish in half the time then move over to the other big project. Maybe start at both ends so the company that's more efficient ends up getting a bigger share of the overall project.

I always wonder how much "man-hours" are wasted by all the commuters trying to slog their way though the construction zones because of the snail's pace they run at.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:14 pm

The governor doesn't project manage construction. DOT is designed to be outside the political influence in our state. MDOT brings projects to a committee and the funding is appropriated. That's the extent of how politicians influence in projects.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic