Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Digital license plates?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Digital license plates?

Post by bmw » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:45 am

I've never heard of such a thing, nor did I know that Michigan was 1 of 3 states where they are legal.
The plates, which resemble tablets. connect to an app that offers registration renewal, vehicle location services and security features — such as reporting a vehicle stolen. They are the same shape and size as traditional license plates, and give users the option to change the plate's background color by toggling between a light or dark mode. Motorists can also personalize a banner message on the plate...

Reviver's digital license plates cost as little as $19.95 per month, or about $960 for four years, according to the company. Installation fees are $99. Digital plates are also legal in Michigan and Arizona, while a handful of other states are in various stages of approving the devices.
Would you pay $20/month for one of these? I sure wouldn't. And I have yet to see one on a Michigan car. Has anybody else seen these on the road yet?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/digital-li ... alifornia/

Rate This

Re: Digital license plates?

Post by Rate This » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:55 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:45 am
I've never heard of such a thing, nor did I know that Michigan was 1 of 3 states where they are legal.
The plates, which resemble tablets. connect to an app that offers registration renewal, vehicle location services and security features — such as reporting a vehicle stolen. They are the same shape and size as traditional license plates, and give users the option to change the plate's background color by toggling between a light or dark mode. Motorists can also personalize a banner message on the plate...

Reviver's digital license plates cost as little as $19.95 per month, or about $960 for four years, according to the company. Installation fees are $99. Digital plates are also legal in Michigan and Arizona, while a handful of other states are in various stages of approving the devices.
Would you pay $20/month for one of these? I sure wouldn't. And I have yet to see one on a Michigan car. Has anybody else seen these on the road yet?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/digital-li ... alifornia/

By benefit of seeing a zillion cars driving the bus I have seen maybe a dozen or a little more. My biggest complaint is they are in black and white… it really takes away from the way some of our plates look.
Last edited by Rate This on Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:56 am

I knew they were out there, but I haven't seen one yet.

I think it's absurd to pay $20/mo... or really anything for that kind of "capability".

Really seems like it'd be ripe for hacking opportunities too.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:10 pm

I think it is absurd even if it were free. Is it really necessary to digitize, of all things, the numbers on your license plate? This seems like technology for the sake of technology. Also ridiculous that the company that makes these things has its website URL as an advertisement right on the bottom of the plate.

kager

Post by kager » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:21 pm

They may be legal here, but I see MI roads and wx de-lammin' 'em in between RT posts...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:27 pm

Not sure how these work but is it hypothetically possible somebody could hack something, change the plate, commit a crime of some sort then change the plate back? A digital version of stealing a plate?

To answer the question I might pay $20 a year but not $20 a month.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Taco

Post by Taco » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:10 pm

I could see a lot of benefits of this. Too often I see beat up plates that peeled and you can hardly read the plates. For some reason people choose not to replace them. But I think for these digital plates it would depend on how well they hold up in the harsh winters.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:13 pm

Taco wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:10 pm
I could see a lot of benefits of this. Too often I see beat up plates that peeled and you can hardly read the plates. For some reason people choose not to replace them. But I think for these digital plates it would depend on how well they hold up in the harsh winters.
Michigan makes you change your plates every few years these days. But it might be 10 years.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Taco

Post by Taco » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:15 pm

One of the two but I do see a lot of beat up plates out there and I'm pretty sure you could be pulled over for that if law enforcement so chooses.
Michigan makes you change your plates every few years these days. But it might be 10 years.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:54 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:13 pm
Taco wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's not true as I've seen the random Great Lakes Splendor plates, and those have been gone for a long time.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:55 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:54 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Taco wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's not true as I've seen the random Great Lakes Splendor plates, and those have been gone for a long time.
It’s supposed to be every 10 years… maybe they grandfathered some in? How do they get the old 76 plates driving around still or other old plate correct for the vehicle?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:23 pm

I'm against it.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:44 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:23 pm
I'm against it.
You heard it here folks...

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:04 am

With the advent of something like this, can we make our own plates?
Some art work, pictures of loved ones on one side like college/wildlife/etc. plates have.
As long as the letters and numbers are a certain height and width, and they are the ones registered to the car you're driving.
And you put on the actual renewal sticker they give you on it.
Wonder if it would be legal? Interesting. A little artistic ability?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:10 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:55 pm
Matt wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:54 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Taco wrote:
It’s supposed to be every 10 years… maybe they grandfathered some in? How do they get the old 76 plates driving around still or other old plate correct for the vehicle?
I'm not sure how often they obsolete new plates, but if they're over so many years (20?) you can register the plate as a historical plate for a classic car. I have a friend who had a 1963 and he had a year-correct plate on his car. By now I'm sure that would apply to a 1976 plate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic