Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What a circus (MI GOP Convention)...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

What a circus (MI GOP Convention)...

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:16 pm

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 907696001/

The contents of the news article say it all; I've really got nothing more to add.

For those of you who align with the Democrats - I offer my early congratulations. I think there is a strong probability the Governor, the AG and the Secretary of State will all win reelection.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Rate This

Re: What a circus (MI GOP Convention)...

Post by Rate This » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:29 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:16 pm
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 907696001/

The contents of the news article say it all; I've really got nothing more to add.

For those of you who align with the Democrats - I offer my early congratulations. I think there is a strong probability the Governor, the AG and the Secretary of State will all win reelection.
Thanks for the early congratulations as one of those aligned with the Democrats… I suspect you are right about the probable outcomes. The article is behind a paywall… any chance you can help us out?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:56 pm

Sure.

When co-chairman Ron Weiser opened the convention, he was greeted with vociferous booing.

Then, there was a dispute as to which slate of delegates is the duly nominated slate of delegates for Macomb County, which lasted about two hours. This is due to the fact there has been a power struggle as to who is the acting chair of the Macomb County GOP. A recent court ruling went in favor of the insurgent, knocking out the established chairman who Weiser wanted to retain power.

The guy who by court order is now the Macomb GOP chairman backs Ralph Rebandt for lieutenant governor and says most of his slate of delegates do as well.

For reasons I cannot comprehend, a vocal cohort does not want Shane Hernandez on the ticket.

The good news for Hernandez is he easily survived the challenge in a recorded vote, with 77 percent supporting him.

Karamo is now the official nominee for SOS and DePerno is now the official nominee for AG. Both very poor choices, in my opinion.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:06 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:56 pm
Sure.

When co-chairman Ron Weiser opened the convention, he was greeted with vociferous booing.

Then, there was a dispute as to which slate of delegates is the duly nominated slate of delegates for Macomb County, which lasted about two hours. This is due to the fact there has been a power struggle as to who is the acting chair of the Macomb County GOP. A recent court ruling went in favor of the insurgent, knocking out the established chairman who Weiser wanted to retain power.

The guy who by court order is now the Macomb GOP chairman backs Ralph Rebandt for lieutenant governor and says most of his slate of delegates do as well.

For reasons I cannot comprehend, a vocal cohort does not want Shane Hernandez on the ticket.

The good news for Hernandez is he easily survived the challenge in a recorded vote, with 77 percent supporting him.

Karamo is now the official nominee for SOS and DePerno is now the official nominee for AG. Both very poor choices, in my opinion.
Thanks MW! I really want to have a second functional party in the state… it’ll at least keep the Democrats afraid of competition. For such an evenly divided state Michigan seems to have an rather weak Republican Party especially fielding state level candidates…

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:29 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:06 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sure.

Thanks MW! I really want to have a second functional party in the state… it’ll at least keep the Democrats afraid of competition. For such an evenly divided state Michigan seems to have an rather weak Republican Party especially fielding state level candidates…
The democrats are not functional either.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:51 pm

Policy wise - I agree.

But in terms of political campaign savvy and party unity - they definitely have a leg up on the GOP in Michigan.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:17 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sure.

It couldn't be the guy's race, could it? Sounds like the Macomb GOP has infected the Michigan GOP. This is great news.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:17 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:29 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:06 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sure.

The democrats are not functional either.
We can at least hold primaries civilly and don't doubt election results.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:29 pm

Al Gore v. George W. Bush?

Granted, the margin was much tighter in that race than in 2020.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:19 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:29 pm
Al Gore v. George W. Bush?

Granted, the margin was much tighter in that race than in 2020.
That one also actually went to the wire, there was a legitimate recount etc… arguably they had a beef at least and we will never really know the full outcome because the recount was never completed. Way different situation.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:21 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:51 pm
Policy wise - I agree.

But in terms of political campaign savvy and party unity - they definitely have a leg up on the GOP in Michigan.
That’s kind of what I meant… we can debate policy or whatever endlessly… but these guys are disorganized and inept internally let alone the state level races against the other side. Randomly withholding your delegates to try give a nobody your delegates in a half baked effort to override the will of the Republican voters across the state who overwhelmingly didn’t want Ralph Rebrandt? That’s a clown show. 🤡

It seems to be the reason they rarely nominate viable candidates at the state level… they cannot get out of their own way.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:16 am

GOP did this stunt 12 years ago picking Cooper and he won Lt. Gov Brian Calley Synder's pick remained on the ticket. It was stupid then and is stupid now glad common sense from the convention voters picked Hernandez which should always be up to who is running for governor. I feel that if the GOP went with the rematch from 2018 GOP had a good chance of taking the AG office back, DePerno is going to lose in a landslide I'll be telling the grassroots I told you so and you blew it.

Why would Ron Weiser want to be Co-Chairman again of the Michigan GOP I thought he did a good job in the 2000's just kinda surprised he wanted to do the job again. Seems that they want someone to kiss the rings to Trump as chairman/chairwoman on the GOP side in Michigan I know Ron was a supporter of the Tea Party that was big in 2009 & 2010.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:58 am

Meanwhile in Traverse City, incumbent John Roth (R) failed to update his address and is likely to be ineligible to run in the new district he has chosen. This after winning the primary.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... ?gnt-cfr=1

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:51 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:58 am
Meanwhile in Traverse City, incumbent John Roth (R) failed to update his address and is likely to be ineligible to run in the new district he has chosen. This after winning the primary.

I would be shocked if someone up there had the balls to hold him accountable. Keep us posted.

Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:52 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:51 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:58 am

I would be shocked if someone up there had the balls to hold him accountable. Keep us posted.
If it’s made the news then they will probably be taking him behind the woodshed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic