Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Wild Wild West of Metro Detroit

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bobbert

Wild Wild West of Metro Detroit

Post by Bobbert » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:54 am

On Sunday, I finished reading another Louis L'Amour western. Like most of his westerns, the plot revolved around the growing western civilization trying to hold its own against lawlessness.

On Monday, I picked up a copy of the Detroit News and saw two big stories that showed that lawlessness still controls parts of the Metro area. These stories brought back memories of the 1980s, when wild stories about drug-dealing gangs filled the newspapers.

(I don't know if these stories are available to non-subscribers, so I'll give some quotations.)

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 543099001/

Russian weapons fuel Pontiac gang war, feds say

Detroit — Russian weaponry is helping fuel gun violence in Pontiac, where rappers and rival gang members are accused of waging a war that has led to more than 40 shootings since July and the killing of a 7-year-old girl on the drive home from school.

Court records, transcripts and interviews reveal an ongoing investigation stretching from Russia to Metro Detroit has led to state and federal charges against at least 40 people since October, including members and associates of the R Block and 4-Block gangs on the city’s east side. So far, 14 people arrested by Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents and Oakland County Sheriff’s deputies are facing charges that include homicide or assault with intent to murder.

https://www.detroitnews.com/in-depth/ne ... 551935001/

Social media is fueling Detroit's drifting, drag racing problem

Detroit — When James White assumed command as the city's 43rd police chief a year ago, he said one of his top priorities would be to address the growing drag racing and drifting problem.

Following the announcement, some pundits and social media commentators questioned why the new chief would focus on traffic issues in a city that's perennially among the nation's most violent — but Detroit residents like Eloise Forehand welcomed the crackdown.

"(Drifters) go round and round squealing those tires; oh, my God, you can't even hear the TV they make so much noise," said Forehand, a 64-year-old east side resident. "When the police come, they'll leave for a while — but then they come right back again.

km1125

Re: Wild Wild West of Metro Detroit

Post by km1125 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:16 pm

Good post and I agree. You can add the story from yesterday (or was it Sunday?) where the guy tried to get into a gas station pointing a handgun at another guy holding a baby (or similar incidents).

I would hardly consider what goes on with the drifting and drag racing in Detroit to be "traffic issues"

And I wonder what the actions of the County Prosecutor in Oakland might have on the increasing violent county activity. I have not really dug into this, but I wonder how hard she might (or might not) be pushing convictions.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:44 am

Gang violence in general - or at least the affiliation of violent thugs with gangs - seems to be vastly underreported.

Social media outlets need to start being held accountable for facilitation of criminal activity, in my opinion.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:59 pm

One good thing about that: If the Russian weapons are in Pontiac, at least they are not in Russia fighting the Ukrainians.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic