Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another nuclear plant closes: Get ready for electricity shortages

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Another nuclear plant closes: Get ready for electricity shortages

Post by audiophile » Mon May 30, 2022 8:26 am

Does anyone else think they creating a crisis as an excuse to increase electric prices?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAXRrvY

Electric cars are great in theory, but the grid won't support it for many decades.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 15783

Re: Another nuclear plant closes: Get ready for electricity shortages

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Mon May 30, 2022 11:02 am

audiophile wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 8:26 am
Does anyone else think they creating a crisis as an excuse to increase electric prices?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAXRrvY

Electric cars are great in theory, but the grid won't support it for many decades.
"... last month the town board in Fulton Township voted unanimously to reject a project proposed by Chicago-based Invenergy that would put several dozen wind turbines in and around the township ... "

Curious if voters would of rejected it if Invenergy would of said they were putting free wireless WiFi for area residents on top of the windmills?

About 10 years ago, Ida Michigan residents were opposed to a proposed cell phone tower. Until the cellphone company did just what I said. Lo and behold no one in Ida had a problem with the proposed tower anymore.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 30, 2022 8:07 pm

Palisades reportedly closed because it was in need of cost prohibitive maintenance. Consumers dumped the facility years ago, probably because they saw the writing on the wall.

Federal tax dollars would've been needed on a pretty big scale to keep it open, it appears. Would that have been a wise investment? Time will tell, I guess.

If I'm not mistaken, the coal fired plant at Port Sheldon is scheduled for decommissioning, too.

Edit: Port Sheldon is closing in 2025.

https://www.hollandsentinel.com/story/n ... 839793002/

I agree that the grid is nowhere near ready of supporting a rapid conversion to PHEVs. The conversion to PHEVs will be gradual, so it's probably a moot point. I think hybrids with regenerative braking will have a longer shelf life than some auto analysts assumed.

Communities where these closing plants are located are going to lose a ton of property tax revenue.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 30, 2022 9:12 pm

We should end all subsidies for petroleum and coal and shift to more sustainable fuels.

Electric cars will need energy, but trying to hang on to petroleum is like trying to legislate just for Christians. Both are no longer our future.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 8:07 pm
Palisades reportedly closed because it was in need of cost prohibitive maintenance. Consumers dumped the facility years ago, probably because they saw the writing on the wall.

Federal tax dollars would've been needed on a pretty big scale to keep it open, it appears. Would that have been a wise investment? Time will tell, I guess.

If I'm not mistaken, the coal fired plant at Port Sheldon is scheduled for decommissioning, too.

Edit: Port Sheldon is closing in 2025.

https://www.hollandsentinel.com/story/n ... 839793002/

I agree that the grid is nowhere near ready of supporting a rapid conversion to PHEVs. The conversion to PHEVs will be gradual, so it's probably a moot point. I think hybrids with regenerative braking will have a longer shelf life than some auto analysts assumed.

Communities where these closing plants are located are going to lose a ton of property tax revenue.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon May 30, 2022 10:32 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:12 pm
but trying to hang on to petroleum is like trying to legislate just for Christians. Both are no longer our future.
:roll:

What does religion have to do with this topic, other than you finding a way to spew your anti-Christian hatred?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue May 31, 2022 3:28 am

I don't quite understand the push for getting rid of nuclear. Wind and solar have not proven completely reliable YET. We also have idiotic companies like Power Home Solar ripping people off(check out Fox 2's exposee). How are we going to continue powering more and more of those cars? Plus, have you guys checked out how toxic those batteries are? It's going to be a big strain on landfills and also cause run off. Obviously, I hope we can come up with energy efficient processes, but I do feel that we are destined to put too much strain on our grids. I believe more attention should have been given years ago to hydrogen cars.

The other area that people are ignoring is that cities are abandoning recycling programs because they are not paying out as much any more. We are putting more plastic in the ocean. That is truly disturbing.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Tue May 31, 2022 10:43 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 3:28 am
I don't quite understand the push for getting rid of nuclear. Wind and solar have not proven completely reliable YET. We also have idiotic companies like Power Home Solar ripping people off(check out Fox 2's exposee). How are we going to continue powering more and more of those cars? Plus, have you guys checked out how toxic those batteries are? It's going to be a big strain on landfills and also cause run off. Obviously, I hope we can come up with energy efficient processes, but I do feel that we are destined to put too much strain on our grids. I believe more attention should have been given years ago to hydrogen cars.

The other area that people are ignoring is that cities are abandoning recycling programs because they are not paying out as much any more. We are putting more plastic in the ocean. That is truly disturbing.
I agree with everything you say. Like you said, wind and solar depends on what the weather will be. Hopefully the power companies that run those don't depend on the TV weather people to forecast their power output for the next 5 days.

Interesting article about recycling plastics just came across my newsfeed this morning. To summarize, the article says it's a waste of time and resources to recycle plastics. Just way too many variables in the process to make it anywhere near cost effective. Also says making products from new plastic is cheaper than making them from recycled plastic. Recycling paper and glass and other things is a great idea according to the article. Plastic not so much. The writer's solution is to legislate the elimination of single use plastics.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... al/661141/

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue May 31, 2022 12:09 pm

In The Bleachers wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 10:43 am
Interesting article about recycling plastics just came across my newsfeed this morning. To summarize, the article says it's a waste of time and resources to recycle plastics. Just way too many variables in the process to make it anywhere near cost effective. Also says making products from new plastic is cheaper than making them from recycled plastic. Recycling paper and glass and other things is a great idea according to the article. Plastic not so much. The writer's solution is to legislate the elimination of single use plastics.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... al/661141/
Unfortunately, the website for the article above doesn't display correctly for me, so I can't read it. So I'll just comment on the summary above.

For those totally fiscally minded, this makes sense, assuming it's true. But I'm not sure "cost effective" is the relevant question. For those who feel the planet is in a crisis, this sounds like "continuing to destroy the planet is cheaper than to clean up the past damage we did for cheaper."

Forgive me for using a simple cartoon to illustrate my point, but the cartoon says "Yes, the planet got destroyed, but for a beautiful moment in time, we created a lot of value for shareholders." Some may disagree we're in a crisis, and carry on as usual. Even though the questions about plastics suggest cleaner manufacturing and recycling is more expensive in the article, I support putting the situation in perspective and continue to invest in cleaning up the damage we've done, even if it's more expensive, and that goes beyond plastics. If that means drastically cutting down on plastic manufacturing in general, and replacing with materials that recycle better, I would support that.

This board has members who are better with finances than I, so I defer to their analysis for that, but whether or not it's "cheap", doing nothing to improve the plastics situation is not an option, in my opinion. I don't want to shit where I eat. I'm not going to eat dinner at a restaurant in their toilet for a discount.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:41 pm

The sticking point with recycled plastics is what it will be used for. There tend to be limited areas it can be used when it comes to food packaging. Virgin is preferred but sometimes up to 20 t0 25% recycled can be mixed in with virgin to make the product. Some national companies who use bottles won't let more than 15% used and only virgin on some other selected products.
The PET used in bottles won't work for that backyard swing set hence the conundrum using rather then burying it.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:45 am

And look what happened to the proposed Midland nuclear plant. Some wacky environmentalists complained so loud that the nuclear part was abandoned, and it was completed as a gas-fired 'co-generation' plant with Dow.

Nuclear plants may be the way to go, but they are way so expensive to build that few organizations have the money to build them now.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:14 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 8:07 pm

They're getting some federal tax dollars. $1,500,000,000.00 worth.

https://www.newsmax.com/us/holtec-michi ... d/1151661/
After interest rose from the administration of President Joe Biden in low-carbon power from nuclear energy, Holtec filed in October with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission to reopen the 800-megawatt plant, while also applying for an LPO loan.

The Biden administration believes nuclear power is essential in the fight against climate change and for its goals to decarbonize the grid by 2035 and the economy by 2050. Nuclear plants are also a source of some of the highest-paying union jobs in the energy industry.

The LPO office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Bloomberg first reported the administration was poised to loan the company $1.5 billion as soon as next month, citing sources.
Holy shit that's a lot of money :o

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:12 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:14 am
Holy shit that's a lot of money :o
Kinda like wind farms... if someone else is paying the costs, anything can be made to work.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic