Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The latest episode of stupidity from Dana Nessel...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

The latest episode of stupidity from Dana Nessel...

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:11 pm

Too bad her likely opponent is even more unfit for office than she is:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 585861002/

Ben Zonia

Re: The latest episode of stupidity from Dana Nessel...

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:30 am

The USPS has said that they were going to slow down First Class Delivery. Wait till the lithium batteries in the trucks run down on the road, can't be charged, or catch fire and potentially burn other trucks, and reduce the fleet. There are also problems getting and keeping postal workers. Some are offered jobs, and then they don't take them, or they just don't show up the first day. Result of all this-massive slowdowns. A Postal Worker told us that Overnight now means Two Days, and Two Day Delivery now means three or four days.

Keep in mind all the toxic materials used in them and in the manufacturing of electric vehicles, and the energy needed to charge them. People who take decent "Science" courses will know about the Laws of Thermodynamics, and know that there is no free ride for energy production, or free anything.

If you want to send a nice color copy of something to someone, or don't have a landline compatible with FAX, just scan your document or other things to hard drive or memory card, and send it as an attached file to an email. Limit the size of attachments. Pick medium, or keep the file size below 1 MB, so we don't then overrun the email servers and internet.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:00 pm

I don't quite get the back story for the big push for electric vehicles. Yeah, you're burning less fossil fuel. But the cost and toxic footprint of doing so doesn't seem to make it a wise route?

Paying as much for just the battery as you would for a good used car? Not exactly looking out for the common man if you ask me.

Are we running out of oil? No.

Is oil going to become too cost prohibitive that electric is better on the wallet? I just don't see that happening.

Pollution in the air, or toxic used batteries starting to stack up like cordwood with nowhere to put them. Choose wisely, grasshopper.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:07 pm

Nessel shouldn't have ANY say in this decision. This is just her using her office to promote her political agenda. She should be removed and disbarred because of crap like this.

That said, if there was ANYWHERE that the economic case could be made for battery-electric vehicles, it should be the bulk of the USPS fleet. If there isn't/wasn't an overwhelming advantage to use those vehicles vs ICE vehicles then there isn't an economic argument to use them anywhere.

The USPS vehicles
  • Are typically low-speed vehicles
    Do a lot of start-stop driving which takes advantage of regeneration to charge batteries.
    Return to "base" every single day (where they could be recharged)
    Have very short daily distance (90% drive less than 40mi/day, which means they could use a relatively small battery)
    Have a very long life-cycle (current fleet ave >20 years)
If someone was trying to cut costs for the USPS and can't do it by replacing the fleet with electric vehicles, than no one should be able to make an economic argument that they are better. Unless, of course, someone else is paying a chunk of the acquisition costs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic