Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A rare rebuke by the Detroit Free Press against a Democrat in prominent elected office!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

A rare rebuke by the Detroit Free Press against a Democrat in prominent elected office!

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:13 pm

The Freep's legal counsel has some harsh words for Secretary of State Benson:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/politi ... 337515001/

I share his view that this is an act of censorship by the Secretary of State and the beginning of what could be a "slippery slope."

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: A rare rebuke by the Detroit Free Press against a Democrat in prominent elected office!

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:15 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:13 pm
The Freep's legal counsel has some harsh words for Secretary of State Benson:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/politi ... 337515001/

I share his view that this is an act of censorship by the Secretary of State and the beginning of what could be a "slippery slope."
During legal proceedings, the SOS may need to tread lightly. I don't see what the issue is. I am more concerned about the invasion of privacy.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

craig11152

Re: A rare rebuke by the Detroit Free Press against a Democrat in prominent elected office!

Post by craig11152 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:09 am

Invasion of privacy with respect to ones driving record?
If that is what you mean why should there be that privacy?

I no longer directly engage trolls

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:41 am

Re: " the department "condemns the killing of Patrick Lyoya," "

It's disgusting that the department is taking a partisan position, via "leadership" from the Secretary, on a current event prior to an investigation actually being completed.

Perhaps the killing of Lyoya was completely justified, we just don't know yet.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:30 am

km1125 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:41 am
Re: " the department "condemns the killing of Patrick Lyoya," "

It's disgusting that the department is taking a partisan position, via "leadership" from the Secretary, on a current event prior to an investigation actually being completed.

Perhaps the killing of Lyoya was completely justified, we just don't know yet.
It was not justified.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:17 am

I am inclined to agree with Matt. The officer mishandled the situation. That isn't solely my opinion; that is the statement made by several experts who currently or have previously served in law enforcement (including a high ranking Detroit PD official who was interviewed on WDIV the day the video footage was released).

The odds of a man lying on his stomach, wrestling with the officer, being able to (a) successfully grab the tazer from the officer and then (b) successfully point the device backward, accurately aim and then actually taze the officer seem very low to me.

Unless Lyoya were double jointed, I don't know how (b) would even be able to occur. Seems to me Lyoya would need to be able to slide out from beneath the officer first; I did not see evidence that this was imminently occurring when the officer discharged his handgun.

While the officer had Lyoya pinned, at no point did the officer ever inform Lyoya that he would need to use lethal force if Lyoya failed to let go of the officer's tazer. When reviewing the video tape, I see no reason as to why the officer lacked time to provide that warning. I simply heard the officer repeatedly state "let go of the tazer."

Also, the tazer had already been deployed twice. Isn't there a finite number of times it can be discharged? I have no idea if the device was capable of being deployed again during the altercation or not.

Finally, even if one believes discharge by the officer of his firearm to strike Lyoya were necessary to prevent great bodily harm to the officer, why did the officer need to assassinate Lyoya by shooting him in the head? If the concern stemmed from risk of Lyoya grabbing the officer's tazer, why didn't the officer shoot Lyoya in his right shoulder? That would've immobilized Lyoya's right arm.

While I think the officer believed in the heat of the moment that his life was endangered, my belief is that point of view is likely unreasonable based on the video footage. The fact Lyoya was physically resisting arrest and did lay hands on the officer's tazer would probably make a first degree or second degree murder conviction difficult. I believe an indictment for either involuntary manslaughter, negligent homicide, or both should be brought against the officer. A second degree murder indictment may even be appropriate, but I think getting a conviction on a charge as serious as that one would be difficult. I do not believe the officer's actions rose to first degree murder.

Irrespective of my views above, I still completely agree with km1125 that it is completely inappropriate for a state government department that is completely uninvolved with the investigation of what occurred to preemptively editorialize - in an official capacity - what took place.

Once Lyoya started running, in my opinion, the officer should've called for backup, indicated the direction the suspect was running, and then should have begun interviewing the passenger in the car in an effort to ID Lyoya.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:40 am

While I would love to see Whitmer, Benson, and Nessel all booted from office, Benson's actions yesterday confirm my must go list looks like this:

1. Nessel
2. Benson
3. Whitmer

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:28 am

I cannot rank them in such an order until I know who the GOP nominee will be for each office. I will not vote for DePerno under any circumstance.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:29 am

Run from the cops and try to steal their weapon, win a stupid prize. Period. I don't care what race you are. I don't care what race the cop is. When you do things this stupid, you get whatever you have coming to you.

Maybe if Patrick had watched Chris Rock's PSA, he's still be alive today.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:45 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:28 am
I cannot rank them in such an order until I know who the GOP nominee will be for each office. I will not vote for DePerno under any circumstance.
The order to be replaced is independent of the opponent. Nessel needs to go.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:29 am

SOS I hope it isn't Trumps guy election fraud talking points from 2020 I'm so over it and I'd vote Benson again. As for AG anyone but Dana & DePerno I hope for a rematch of 2018 with Tom who this time can beat Dana. Governor James Craig is my number 1 and the best chance to beat Whitmer, Kevin Rinke is my number 2. The others I'm not crazy about who are running and I think are longshots at winning the nom.

I agree with MW on GR police shooting.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:12 am

Matt wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:30 am

It was not justified.
It somewhat mystifies me that some of the people that view the shooting of Ashli Babbitt (unarmed, climbing through a window and not attacking anyone) as justified because she was supposedly a "threat to our democracy," do not extend the same thought process to this police officer.

An attack on a police officer is an attack on civilized society in general as well as the current power structure. Allowing an assault on a police officer is akin to allowing an attack on us all. Is someone willing to assault a police officer not a danger the the general public?

As BMW stated. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You know that going in.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:54 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:12 am
Matt wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:30 am

It was not justified.
It somewhat mystifies me that some of the people that view the shooting of Ashli Babbitt (unarmed, climbing through a window and not attacking anyone) as justified because she was supposedly a "threat to our democracy," do not extend the same thought process to this police officer.

An attack on a police officer is an attack on civilized society in general as well as the current power structure. Allowing an assault on a police officer is akin to allowing an attack on us all. Is someone willing to assault a police officer not a danger the the general public?

As BMW stated. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You know that going in.
More whataboutism - neither killing was justified.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:03 pm

I agree with Matt.

Who the heck is suggesting Lyola was not a danger to the public? Some of us are simply suggesting his actions did not warrant being assassinated execution style.

The officer could have verbally warned Lyola that he was going to be shot if he did not let go of the tazer, and there was no justification - based on the publicly available evidence at the moment - for the officer to the hold his handgun to the guy's head. He could've shot Lyola in the shoulder.

The officer panicked and made a very poor decision, in my opinion.

Lyola was an absolute fool, undoubtedly. I suspect he was under the influence of drugs at the time. Had he simply obeyed the officer's instructions, he'd still be alive. It is difficult for me to have much sympathy for him. That does not negate the fact the officer probably acted in complete discord to his training and arguably committed a serious crime.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:47 pm

I can't argue with your logic MW. Especially since you assign some culpability to Mr. Lyola. I just think the same standard should apply to the officer that killed Ms. Babbit. The seeming lack of outrage over her death bothers me.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic