Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

11 of the 100 most dangerous cities in the US are in Michigan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

11 of the 100 most dangerous cities in the US are in Michigan

Post by bmw » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:42 am

I had no idea Saginaw ranked #3 in the nation and #1 in Michigan, at least per-capita.

#3 Saginaw
#4 Detroit
#16 Lansing
#18 Kalamazoo
#27 Pontiac
#32 Flint
#38 Inkster
#41 Jackson
#59 Battle Creek
#71 Romulus
#100 Bay City

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/top100dangerous

Now, Michigan is only the 10th most populated state in the country, yet ranks #1 by a mile in state with the most crime-ridden cities. Next closest are North Carolina and California at 7 cities each.

I had no idea it was THAT bad here. And LOL @ Bay City making the list...that one shocked me.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: 11 of the 100 most dangerous cities in the US are in Michigan

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:04 am

Lansing and Kalamazoo more dangerous than Pontiac, Flint, and Inkster? Saginaw more dangerous than all of the above + Detroit? Sorry, not buying it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:13 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:04 am
Lansing and Kalamazoo more dangerous than Pontiac, Flint, and Inkster? Saginaw more dangerous than all of the above + Detroit? Sorry, not buying it.
I spend a fair amount of time in three of the above named cities. I can't argue against the Saginaw point. It's off the hook bad there. I feel MUCH safer in many parts of Detroit than in most of the City of Saginaw. Pretty much the entire city of Saginaw, minus a small section of Old Town, is as dangerous as the bad parts of Detroit.

Back in 2010, Saginaw was listed as the most violent city in the U.S. by the FBI.

FBI stats designate Saginaw the most violent city per capita in America
https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/2010 ... aw_th.html

Christ, the old WSAM/WKCQ studios look like they're located in the middle of a war zone, razor wire and all. The gas station at the corner of Genesse and Holland, a stones throw away, has had three shootings in the past year.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:28 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:13 pm
Christ, the old WSAM/WKCQ studios look like they're located in the middle of a war zone, razor wire and all. The gas station at the corner of Genesse and Holland, a stones throw away, has had three shootings in the past year.
Um, KCQ, WSAM/WSAG and Joe FM are still located there at 2000 Whitter in Saginaw. The barbed wire fencing has been up there since ar least the 80’s

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:33 pm

Realist wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:28 pm
Bryce wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:13 pm
Um, KCQ, WSAM/WSAG and Joe FM are still located there at 2000 Whitter in Saginaw. The barbed wire fencing has been up there since ar least the 80’s
Didn't say they weren't still there. But they are OLD. How many stations do you know of that feel the need for razor wire fencing?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:51 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
I went through Saginaw to get to my AirBNB in Freeland. I felt the area near the Fashion Square Mall was okay, but my drive through the downtown area was quite scary. I say that as someone who drove to downtown Detroit for almost 2 years for work. This seemed worse. The roads are horrible with the worst potholes and confusing to an out of towner.

I have to argue that Flint is worse though.

Perhaps, I am biased because I know which areas to avoid in Detroit when I do drive there though.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:55 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:42 am
I had no idea Saginaw ranked #3 in the nation and #1 in Michigan, at least per-capita.
I can't really argue much on this list, especially since it is per-capita, but it is surprising to see Saginaw so high.

For S&G I put my own thoughts together on this

Detroit
Pontiac
Flint
Saginaw
Inkster
Lansing
Kalamazoo
Battle Creek
Jackson
Romulus
Bay City

My opinion doesn't really matter though, lol, as they have pulled the data from the FBI. Still, my windows are going to be tighter when driving down Woodward in Detroit than Telegraph in Pontiac or Dort in Flint. I will say this though, Inkster is a real nasty area, they have some pretty seedy strip clubs there that basically exist to function as brothels and that kinda thing attracts violence so I am surprised they aren't ranked higher.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:58 am

Neckbeard wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:55 am
bmw wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:42 am
I can't really argue much on this list, especially since it is per-capita, but it is surprising to see Saginaw so high.

For S&G I put my own thoughts together on this

Detroit
Pontiac
Flint
Saginaw
Inkster
Lansing
Kalamazoo
Battle Creek
Jackson
Romulus
Bay City

My opinion doesn't really matter though, lol, as they have pulled the data from the FBI. Still, my windows are going to be tighter when driving down Woodward in Detroit than Telegraph in Pontiac or Dort in Flint. I will say this though, Inkster is a real nasty area, they have some pretty seedy strip clubs there that basically exist to function as brothels and that kinda thing attracts violence so I am surprised they aren't ranked higher.
Neither Woodward going into Detroit or Pontiac is as bad they were. Woodward is about 20 times better between 75 and Midtown than it was even just 9 years ago. Pontiac has gotten better since their finances improved a couple years ago. They also have Oakland County doing traffic stops which makes sense being they go to and from the Oakland County jail and courthouse all day. In my opinion, it never was logical for Pontiac to have its own department.

I agree with you on Inkster.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:48 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:51 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
I went through Saginaw to get to my AirBNB in Freeland. I felt the area near the Fashion Square Mall was okay, but my drive through the downtown area was quite scary. I say that as someone who drove to downtown Detroit for almost 2 years for work. This seemed worse. The roads are horrible with the worst potholes and confusing to an out of towner.

I have to argue that Flint is worse though.

Perhaps, I am biased because I know which areas to avoid in Detroit when I do drive there though.
Fashion Square Mall is in Saginaw Township, nowhere near the actual city.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:38 am

Why did Romulus end up on this list? I rarely hear anything crazy happen there…

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:47 am

Rate This wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:38 am
Looks like spillover from Inkster as the dangerous part of Romulus is on the far east side.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/mi/romulus/crime

You can click on the links for any of those cities and pull up a safety map.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:18 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:47 am
Rate This wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:38 am
Looks like spillover from Inkster as the dangerous part of Romulus is on the far east side.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/mi/romulus/crime

You can click on the links for any of those cities and pull up a safety map.
My neighborhood winds up being 5th safest out of 6 in Wayne. Oddly across the road is 2nd safest and I couldn’t tell you what the difference is…

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:06 pm

What are they using, City Limits, Zip Code Area Limits, Metropolitan Area Limits, or what? Otherwise, it is difficult to explain the relative rankings.

And where is Lightfoot's Chicago? It usually is near the top of most lists of this type.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:58 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:06 pm
What are they using, City Limits, Zip Code Area Limits, Metropolitan Area Limits, or what? Otherwise, it is difficult to explain the relative rankings.

And where is Lightfoot's Chicago? It usually is near the top of most lists of this type.
I'm guessing they use city limits for these stats, just based on what I saw pulling up a few.

Chicago doesn't even show up in the top 100, nor does any other large city, save for Detroit and St Louis. I think the large cities are diluted with the larger populations. If they did the stats on crimes per mile or sqft rather than population, the list would look much different.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:04 pm

km1125 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:58 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:06 pm

I'm guessing they use city limits for these stats, just based on what I saw pulling up a few.

Chicago doesn't even show up in the top 100, nor does any other large city, save for Detroit and St Louis. I think the large cities are diluted with the larger populations. If they did the stats on crimes per mile or sqft rather than population, the list would look much different.
Per capita remains the standard. And even with an uptick crime is way way way down from its early 1990’s peak.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic