Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

IHME projects 6.4 million Michiganders will get Covid between now and end of March

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

IHME projects 6.4 million Michiganders will get Covid between now and end of March

Post by bmw » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:22 am

No, that is not a typo. Literally 2 out of every 3 residents in the state of Michigan are projected to get Covid within the next 100 days.

Looks like the current projections for Omicron are for it to literally spread like wildfire. The IHME projects that nearly 2/3 of Michigan's population will get Covid between now and April 1, 2022.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-s ... infections

Daily infections projected to peak at over 100,000 PER DAY in the state.

National peak at near 3 million per day.

The good news is the same projections suggest that the hospitalization rate (nationally), at least per case, will be down 80%, as cases are projected to peak at 5x higher than they were a year ago but hospital resources projected to peak at the same 1x level.

If this doesn't get us to herd immunity, nothing will.

Matt

Re: IHME projects 6.4 million Michiganders will get Covid between now and end of March

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:41 am

Herd immunity isn't a thing with this. It is endemic as I've believed for awhile.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

bmw

Re: IHME projects 6.4 million Michiganders will get Covid between now and end of March

Post by bmw » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:10 am

It will be if and when you infect 2/3 of a population within 100 days. This is more immunity in a short time than you could have ever hoped to achieve with a vaccine. And with the 80% projected reduction in hospitalizations, this in all honesty could end up being the mutation that (relatively) safely puts a quick end to this pandemic before another mutation can even emerge.

Help me understand why you don't believe natural immunity is a thing. When you catch the virus, your body creates antibodies to fight it. It is the same type of antibody response you would get with a live vaccine.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:19 am

I don't think this thing is going to go away. We need it weakened to the point where it's a nuisance like a common cold. We need to end the stigma, and we need to resume our lives.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:43 am

Well, projections are 80% reduced hospitalizations. I'd say that's a good start.

As to natural immunity - the problem with trying to reach herd immunity with pre-Omicron variants has been that while it spread fast, it never spread fast enough, and because the efficacy of natural immunity from people who got Covid in 2020 is waning as well as the efficacy from early vaccinators having waned much faster than predicted, and before herd immunity thresholds were ever reached, we were never able to break the cycle.

But Omicron is a different story entirely (potentially). We're talking not only a 5x acceleration in spread, but a number of infections so high that if we do indeed reach 2/3 natural immunity in 100 days, the efficacy of that immunity will still be high come spring. The entire group will have recent immunity - you won't have a situation where some of the immunity was acquired a year ago. Add that to the people in the other 1/3 who got Delta over the past few months, and you're probably at 75-80% of the population having high-efficacy natural immunity come spring. And because Omicron is SO contagious, I also gotta believe that it would be difficult for any other mutations to take hold.

My hope is that Omicron completely burns itself out before another mutation has a chance to take hold.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:07 pm

Hope all you want, you're celebrating the death of your fellow citizens.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 15716

Post by Deleted User 15716 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:06 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:19 am
I don't think this thing is going to go away. We need it weakened to the point where it's a nuisance like a common cold. We need to end the stigma, and we need to resume our lives.
Exactly. It will become just as common to catch Covid as it is to catch the flu.
And become just as routine to treat as the flu is now. Like I said in another thread, I believe everyone will have it to some degree. Like the flu, it won't influence young and healthy people that much. And like the flu, many will not realize they even had it until it passes.

Unfortunately, it will throw a curveball to many seniors and those with pre-existing respiratory issues. Just like the flu.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic