Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another stupid veto by Whitmer

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Another stupid veto by Whitmer

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:50 pm

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 119033386/

Keeping the existing law - and punishments - in place with regard to feeding of birds in deer & elk habitat is absurd.

Right now, first violations can be prosecuted as misdemeanors and subsequent violations can be prosecuted as felonies! That's right, in Michigan, people can technically be sent to jail for feeding birds.

The DNR recommendations are hilarious. In August, I witnessed two big bucks stand at the same type of tube-style suet feeder they recommend, munching on its morsels for 20 minutes straight.

Oh, and I live in a densely populated suburb of Detroit. There are plenty of deer roaming from time to time in Royal Oak, Birmingham, Southfield and Beverly Hills. There are even more in Farmington Hills. Does this mean most bird feeders in my neck of the woods are criminally placed?

Representative Borton's bill was sensible and should have been signed into law!

Matt

Re: Another stupid veto by Whitmer

Post by Matt » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:36 pm

I almost posted this earlier, but the following passage prevented me from doing so:
More than a decade before becoming a lawmaker, Borton was accused of not doing enough to keep deer from his feeders in Otsego County. He said the case was dismissed.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:03 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:50 pm
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 119033386/

Keeping the existing law - and punishments - in place with regard to feeding of birds in deer & elk habitat is absurd.

Right now, first violations can be prosecuted as misdemeanors and subsequent violations can be prosecuted as felonies! That's right, in Michigan, people can technically be sent to jail for feeding birds.

The DNR recommendations are hilarious. In August, I witnessed two big bucks stand at the same type of tube-style suet feeder they recommend, munching on its morsels for 20 minutes straight.

Oh, and I live in a densely populated suburb of Detroit. There are plenty of deer roaming from time to time in Royal Oak, Birmingham, Southfield and Beverly Hills. There are even more in Farmington Hills. Does this mean most bird feeders in my neck of the woods are criminally placed?

Representative Borton's bill was sensible and should have been signed into law!
There have been incidents of deer eating poison near bird feeders. I agree with the governor.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:11 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:03 pm

There have been incidents of deer eating poison near bird feeders. I agree with the governor.
That bill had nothing to do with poisoning deer, purposely or not. :rollin

To me, the biggest flaw was the way too generous 300 foot stipulation. Pretty tough to justify that you're just watching birds at a feeder that's a football field away from your residence. 2 gallons at any one time is also an absurd amount of feed to have out at any one time for songbirds.

As long as CWD continues to show up in deer, feeding restrictions should be in place. There might need to be an adjustment to the penalties for violators of feeding/baiting restrictions, but this bill wasn't the right solution.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:57 am

I agree the 300 foot distance (almost half a city block) could have been shortened. Many people who live in rural areas do have very big yards, but not quite that big. 150 feet would have been better.

I still think it is moronic to an epic degree that people can be criminally prosecuted for feeding birds because of unintended consequences to deer. On the whole, the bill was much better than current law.

Deer are usually unfazed by stationary structures. I saw two big bucks feeding in August less than 25 feet from a house. In June around 12PM on a Saturday, I saw a doe walk directly in front of my front porch to munch on hostas. I've had fawns run up to my back patio due to curiosity a few years back.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic