Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

For all you rubes that thought an "independent" commission was needed

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Re: For all you rubes that thought an "independent" commission was needed

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:40 am

Joie Vivre wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:20 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:01 am
Regardless, I think the districting committee got it right. I see most counties staying together and much less irregular patterning.
Debbie Dingall is moving to Ann Arbor. She keeps most of her current constituents, but loses her home town of Dearborn. Her new district will stretch from towns along the Detroit River west to include all of Washtenaw County.
Good - we could have done far worse than Dingell. She's a moderate that seems likely to work with the new Republican majority in 2023.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 15716

Post by Deleted User 15716 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:49 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:40 am
Good - we could have done far worse than Dingell. She's a moderate that seems likely to work with the new Republican majority in 2023.
She's all right. But she did screw Chris out of what should of been his job.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:51 am

Joie Vivre wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:49 am
Matt wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:40 am
She's all right. But she did screw Chris out of what should of been his job.
Christopher Taylor?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:41 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:19 am
Some more info:
-Benton Harbor and St. Joe are part of the same district as Kalamazoo, BC and Holland. Stevensville and points south are part of the southern border district.
-Fillmore St. is the dividing line in most of Ottawa County. Thus, the GVSU campus and most of Allendale Twp. will be in the same district as Grand Rapids, as I suspected. Georgetown Twp. will be split between two districts, with Cottonwood Dr. serving as the boundary. Nearly all households there will be in the Holland district; a very small number (near the Jenison airport) will be in the GR district.
Actually, the GVSU campus is split into two districts. The vast majority of the campus and most of the off-campus apartments will be in the third district, while the South Apartments and Campus View (off-campus) will be in the fourth district.

The State House and Senate maps are very interesting!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:09 pm

She is a good person who wishes to do well by her constituents, but her voting record and espoused views are certainly left of center on a very consistent basis. "Moderate" is not an adjective I would choose, personally.

One liberal think tank assigns her a lifetime "progressive score" of 96.91, which places her in 56th place among the existing members of the House of Representatives. In fact, that is a higher lifetime voting progressive score than that of Nancy Pelosi!

https://progressivepunch.org/scores.htm?house=house

Here is an interesting scatterplot that plots all members of Congress by leadership ability as well as by ideology:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/member ... ell/412637

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:28 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:09 pm
She is a good person who wishes to do well by her constituents, but her voting record and espoused views are certainly left of center on a very consistent basis. "Moderate" is not an adjective I would choose, personally.

One liberal think tank assigns her a lifetime "progressive score" of 96.91, which places her in 56th place among the existing members of the House of Representatives. In fact, that is a higher lifetime voting progressive score than that of Nancy Pelosi!

Here is an interesting scatterplot that plots all members of Congress by leadership ability as well as by ideology:

We could do worse in this district.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:49 am

I agree with you on that point.

As long as she wishes to be a member of Congress, she likely will always have a seat, much like her late husband or anyone from the family of Sander Levin & Carl Levin.

On strictly local issues (Great Lakes funding, for example), she can prove to be an asset. On national sociopolitical issues, her views and voting track record are definitely not my cup of tea.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:11 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:09 pm

Good people there are a smaller than average group. You could have an Gaetz or Boebert or Greene style representative that gets headlines or even an AOC… any of those would be worse by multitudes and I would question strongly how “nice” they are.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:41 pm

I decided to look at the scatterplot placement of a handful of other congresspersons from Michigan's delegation.

The one that I found most intriguing was that of Pete Meijer. He hasn't been in Congress for long; only about a year. However, for the moment, he is damn near dead center on the ideological scale.

The other thing I found interesting is that there are a lot more Republicans in the middle two deciles than Democrats.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/member ... jer/456826

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:49 pm

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:46 pm

Gee, I wonder why they are upset?

I think these politicians are much more concerned about preserving their existing seats and minimizing competition for office than the well being of their constituents.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:28 am

I hope that lawsuit doesn't get far and the Michigan Supreme court throws the case out.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:35 am

MasterB wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:28 am
I hope that lawsuit doesn't get far and the Michigan Supreme court throws the case out.
They will uphold the maps. Everything was done in a bipartisan way in accordance with a vote of the people.
Last edited by MotorCityRadioFreak on Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:57 pm

Matt's earlier remarks about Dingell and potentially "doing a lot worse" than her have suddenly hit home for me.

Why, you ask?

I live (barely) in the new 12th district. Guess who decided today to run for reelection in the 12th? (Yup, Rashida Tlaib).

Dammit, Brenda Lawrence...I wish you would've run again!

I can only hope R.T. will face stiff primary competition.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:59 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:57 pm
Matt's earlier remarks about Dingell and potentially "doing a lot worse" than her have suddenly hit home for me.

Why, you ask?

I live (barely) in the new 12th district. Guess who decided today to run for reelection in the 12th? (Yup, Rashida Tlaib).

Dammit, Brenda Lawrence...I wish you would've run again!

I can only hope R.T. will face stiff primary competition.
Last edited by MotorCityRadioFreak on Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic