Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Unlock Michigan's next target: 1978 health law

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Unlock Michigan's next target: 1978 health law

Post by bmw » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:55 am

GOOD.
The advocacy group that successfully campaigned to rein in Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s emergency powers is shifting its sights to other public health orders.

Unlock Michigan, which scored a victory on July 21 when the Legislature repealed a 1945 law used by Whitmer to impose COVID-19 restrictions, now wants to place limits on a 1978 public health law that gives local health boards and the state department of health similar emergency powers.

“All we want to do is make sure that no governor gets to govern by decree, with no accountability, again,” Fred Wszolek, spokesperson for Unlock Michigan, told Bridge Michigan.

Unlock Michigan organizers say they’ll start collecting signatures in the next few weeks.

Their proposal would limit health orders to 28 days. After that, lawmakers would have to approve limits like crowd sizes, mask requirements, curfews and limits on businesses and schools.
And I especially agree with this point, which I've made several times in here before - "Emergencies don't last forever … After a while it just becomes an issue you have to manage."

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-healt ... lth-orders

jadednihilist

Re: Unlock Michigan's next target: 1978 health law

Post by jadednihilist » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:47 pm

I'm conflicted. I am overall uncomfortable with having the balance of power being so heavily tilted in favor of the executive branch. However, in true emergencies, I do believe that there needs to be a framework for swift ad hoc actions to account for acute problems that are difficult to anticipate. A divided and gridlocked government would not have the resources to adequately address future emergencies.

That said, I do think that the laws as currently written do provide vague criteria for what constitutes an emergency that can be easily exploited and abused by any governor. I would be in favor of refining these laws in a way that constrains opportunities for nefarious executive overreach.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

audiophile

Re: Unlock Michigan's next target: 1978 health law

Post by audiophile » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:11 pm

Whitmer would be wise to sign law consenting to these adjustments, because she looks bad when they bypass her.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic