Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer travels out of state but....

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
lidoshuffle

Whitmer travels out of state but....

Post by lidoshuffle » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:14 pm

She is in DC, whoopin it up at the Dems biggest party in years, (I bet she gets to actually sit down at an indoor dining facility and enjoy a nice dinner), yet she tells all of us "I encourage you all no Thanksgiving travel anywhere, no Christmas travel anywhere, no you cannot go out New Years' Eve and celebrate as I have closed all indoor dining and bars that you could celebrate inside, because we're saving lives"!! But I get to party it up with my fellow Dems..."whooopeeee we won we won"!! Hypocrisy at it's finest from the Dems/Libs/Left, I await stupid replies in defending her actions...

fuzzpower

Re: Whitmer travels out of state but....

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:14 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:14 pm
She is in DC, whoopin it up at the Dems biggest party in years, (I bet she gets to actually sit down at an indoor dining facility and enjoy a nice dinner), yet she tells all of us "I encourage you all no Thanksgiving travel anywhere, no Christmas travel anywhere, no you cannot go out New Years' Eve and celebrate as I have closed all indoor dining and bars that you could celebrate inside, because we're saving lives"!! But I get to party it up with my fellow Dems..."whooopeeee we won we won"!! Hypocrisy at it's finest from the Dems/Libs/Left, I await stupid replies in defending her actions...
She’s always played politics. Notice how now indoor dining can soon reopen? If Trump won, the ban would likely continue.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:38 pm

I've had to travel during covid too. Sometimes it's part of the job.

But I've done plenty of testing and just like her I've been fortunate to not capture the virus by using face masks and keeping my distance from other people.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:42 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:38 pm

But I've done plenty of testing and just like her I've been fortunate to not capture the virus by using face masks and keeping my distance from other people.
I’ve travelled too, mostly for leisure, but I don’t go around telling others not to. It’s not in her job description to attend the inauguration, that is why she is a hypocrite and should be called out as such. Besides, it’s a waste of taxpayer money.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:08 pm

So how would you be at public policy? Our covid rates are way down since Christmas and New year's

Or are you one of those types that just doesn't care what happens to others around you?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:03 pm

The messaging is indeed mixed, but Whitmer has maintained close ties to the Biden campaign since her endorsement back in the primaries. She co-chaired Biden's campaign through the general election and now co-chairs the Inaugural Committee. It's unlikely the trip is being funded on public money, but through inaugural funds instead. It's interesting to note that for Bush, Obama, and Trump, most of the co-chairs were large donors and fundraiser for their campaign. Biden's inaugural co-chairs all hold, or have held elected office and no billionaires.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 855393001/

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:42 pm

I believe in freedom. If you are in fear, don’t go to a restaurant, theater, etc. Those who aren’t, let them decide. I know you hate freedom and want communism and a dictatorship, but I don’t. Whitmer could communicate to Biden and staffers by phone, email, Zoom, social media, etc. It’s not 1900 where your only means of communication are in person, mail, and telegram (plus perhaps a phone if your area was connected). As governor, she should be setting an example, not being a hypocrite like she has several times. If these were Republicans or Libertarians, you would be calling them out, admit it.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:23 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:42 pm
I believe in freedom. If you are in fear, don’t go to a restaurant, theater, etc. Those who aren’t, let them decide. I know you hate freedom and want communism and a dictatorship, but I don’t. Whitmer could communicate to Biden and staffers by phone, email, Zoom, social media, etc. It’s not 1900 where your only means of communication are in person, mail, and telegram (plus perhaps a phone if your area was connected). As governor, she should be setting an example, not being a hypocrite like she has several times. If these were Republicans or Libertarians, you would be calling them out, admit it.
I think it's fair to say that COVID-19 management has been a complete catastrophe in the US, and Michigan is without exception. I wouldn't say the failures are strictly along partisan lines. California has enacted inconsistent, but harsh draconian measures, and the infection rate continues to skyrocket. We have failed at every step of managing this pandemic, including vaccine distribution. The distribution of unemployment funds has also been an abysmal failure.

I have been quite frustrated with elected officials ignoring their COVID guidelines and mandates. Whitmer's husband driving up to TC was a slap in the face to all of us, especially those who lost loved ones to this virus. The same is true for Gavin Newsom, Nancy Pelosi, Jared Polis, and the Mayor of Austin. I feel, however, in this particular instance that flying to DC is arguably justifiable. You can't really Zoom your way into a Presidential Inauguration you're co-chairing, as long as significantly interferes with her duties as Governor. It doesn't seem like there's really any pressing legislation to sign in the short-term (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(qkyk1n ... 26-002.pdf; Happy Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated Founders Day, everyone!).

That said, and where we likely find disagreement, is that I believe that we need COVID-19 infection mitigation policies for the sake of our health care system. However, these policies need to balance out the economic hardship they impose onto workers and business owners. This is where the federal government has failed us, since state revenues alone can in no way cover these costs. I desire individual freedoms as much as anyone, but I also recognize that my freedom ends where yours begins -- and so I should not have the freedom to recklessly roll the dice by infecting you with a potentially deadly disease. The sooner we control the virus, the sooner our economy recovers and our lives can go back to normal. Conversely, the longer this drags on, the farther we fall.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:58 am

jadednihilist wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:23 am
fuzzpower wrote:
I think it's fair to say that COVID-19 management has been a complete catastrophe in the US, and Michigan is without exception. I wouldn't say the failures are strictly along partisan lines. California has enacted inconsistent, but harsh draconian measures, and the infection rate continues to skyrocket. We have failed at every step of managing this pandemic, including vaccine distribution. The distribution of unemployment funds has also been an abysmal failure.

I have been quite frustrated with elected officials ignoring their COVID guidelines and mandates. Whitmer's husband driving up to TC was a slap in the face to all of us, especially those who lost loved ones to this virus. The same is true for Gavin Newsom, Nancy Pelosi, Jared Polis, and the Mayor of Austin. I feel, however, in this particular instance that flying to DC is arguably justifiable. You can't really Zoom your way into a Presidential Inauguration you're co-chairing, as long as significantly interferes with her duties as Governor. It doesn't seem like there's really any pressing legislation to sign in the short-term (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(qkyk1n ... 26-002.pdf; Happy Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated Founders Day, everyone!).

That said, and where we likely find disagreement, is that I believe that we need COVID-19 infection mitigation policies for the sake of our health care system. However, these policies need to balance out the economic hardship they impose onto workers and business owners. This is where the federal government has failed us, since state revenues alone can in no way cover these costs. I desire individual freedoms as much as anyone, but I also recognize that my freedom ends where yours begins -- and so I should not have the freedom to recklessly roll the dice by infecting you with a potentially deadly disease. The sooner we control the virus, the sooner our economy recovers and our lives can go back to normal. Conversely, the longer this drags on, the farther we fall.
The flu kills too, so does even the common cold. Should we ban people from leaving their house if they have those illnesses? Again, if you are afraid, stay home. Let the rest of us live and make a living. Why should the feds bail out incompetent states?

Whitmer is a hypocrite here, plain and simple.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:45 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:58 am
jadednihilist wrote:
fuzzpower wrote:

The flu kills too, so does even the common cold. Should we ban people from leaving their house if they have those illnesses? Again, if you are afraid, stay home. Let the rest of us live and make a living. Why should the feds bail out incompetent states?

The common cold and the flu don’t kill at nearly this rate. They also don’t cause dozens of irreparable side effects.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:18 am

fuzzpower wrote:
jadednihilist wrote:
fuzzpower wrote:

Ding!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:51 am

TC Talks wrote:

You said something in another thread (sorry I'm not going to search it out) about how you think red states may be getting more of the vaccine than blue states. And you'll know next week. I'm very interested in what you find out. What thread was that so I know where to look?

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:19 am

fuzzpower wrote:

The degrees of which the flu (in our lifetimes) and the common cold kill don't even compare to the number of deaths from COVID-19, per CDC data. The flu kills an estimated 30 to 60 thousand people per year. COVID-19, as of yesterday has killed over 400,000 people since March. As of right now COVID-19 is the third leading cause of death aside from heart disease (655,000) and all types of cancer (599,000). The concern with COVID-19 isn't so much the impact on any given random individual, although it should be, because there's still a decent chance of requiring hospitalization (10-20%) and the potential for long-term adverse side effects post illness. Instead, the concern and the crisis imposed by COVID-19 is systemic. We don't have the capacity to treat the serious cases of COVID-19 resulting from unmitigated spread in our hospitals (https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/covid19/report ... mpact.html). And COVID-19 isn't the only thing out health care system cares about. People still have heart attacks, cancers, accidents, and other illnesses that require hospitalization. These people suffer too if we do nothing.

The feds bail out incompetent states all of the time. That's partially why we adopted the Constitution and quickly dumped the Articles of Confederation.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:50 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:51 am
TC Talks wrote:

You said something in another thread (sorry I'm not going to search it out) about how you think red states may be getting more of the vaccine than blue states. And you'll know next week. I'm very interested in what you find out. What thread was that so I know where to look?
I have a good reason, based on a conversation with someone who is involved, that the methodology for distribution so far favors some Red States. Take a look at vaccination rates (in percentage and total number) and you will see this trend emerge.

In part, it has to do with the quality of the communication between the HHS and the states about delivery.

That being said, I am very disappointed by the collapse of Michigan's distribution plan. I think Whitmer has been very weak in ensuring the process has been smooth. Her adminstration is blaming the federal issues, but it's more than that.

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:09 am

Thanks for the reply TC.
(do a spell check of your signature).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic