Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Report: Rick Snyder to be indicted

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Re: Report: Rick Snyder to be indicted

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:00 pm

Snyder is getting charged with two misdemeanors so that restitution can be personally sought from him: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 153355001/

This is extortion, and by authorizing these charges, Dana Nessel proves she's a political hack unworthy of the office she holds. It also seems shortsighted as it sets a precedent for damages related to the covid shutdowns once her and Whitmer are out of office.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:14 pm

I am happy that he is being held accountable for the role he had. You can't have leaders knowingly allowing a health crisis to occur. He did.

Basically, you want to hold SOME elected officials held to an impossible standard, and others to simply walk away from their responsibilities.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:08 pm

He pushed the EFM's and reaps the results of their action. Shoot Me and he had ignored the calls to investigate the water. Now, the people of Flint will get some justice. Too bad the damage to the brain cells of the children has been well under way for the last 5 years.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15475

Post by Deleted User 15475 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:28 am

I've been waiting quite sometime to see the "One tough nerd" finally getting charged with neglect. Long overdue.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:03 am

I am disappointed that Dennis Muchmore isn't on the list. More than Snyder, he was the person behind the entire plan.
I disagree.

The most glaring criminal acts was the distortion of the water quality testing data. THAT was the handiwork of various MDEQ officials and perhaps certain Flint Water Dept. officials. Those individuals need to be charged with felonies. (Schuette made such charges but Nessel threw those cases into the trash can.)

Muchmore's "offense" was being gullible in relying on the representations given to him by certain MDEQ personnel.

The fact Snyder is only being charged with a misdemeanor suggests to me the evidence against him, to the extent any exists, is probably flimsy. So, right off the bat, I'm skeptical about the AG's motives. We'll see what we learn later today, I guess.
It is therefore unfair and inaccurate to point a finger at Flint and repeatedly use the word “poisoned.”
I agree with the above statement based on the scientific evidence.

That said, scores of Flint households still endured hardship due to governmental failures.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:00 am

I think the focus on Snyder has more to do with how he handled the reports of Legionnaires disease and not the Flint lead poisoning situation.

As it turns out, I know the lead special prosecutor for the state. Snyder better have a good lawyer because she wins. She also has a reputation of only placing charges she knows she can win.

There seems to be a double standard that we want to hold our elected officials accountable unless they are Republicans. Snyder was responsible and if it's a misdemeanor he should be held accountable.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:51 am

km1125 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:20 pm
A good article from that great right-wing bastion: MOTHER JONES:

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/ ... and-flint/

Finally: Experts Explain the Truth About Lead and Flint
KEVIN DRUM

Someone with real expertise in the field of lead poisoning has finally worked up the courage to tell the truth in public about the lead in Flint’s water:

Words are toxic, too. Labeling Flint’s children as “poisoned,” as many journalists and activists have done since the city’s water was found to be contaminated with lead in 2014, unjustly stigmatizes their generation.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now considers a blood lead level in children of 5 micrograms per deciliter and higher to be a “reference level.” This measure is intended to identify children at higher risk and set off communitywide prevention activities. It does not suggest that a child needs medical treatment. In fact, the C.D.C. recommends medical treatment only for blood lead levels at or above 45 micrograms per deciliter. Not a single child in Flint tested this high. This was a surprise for several visiting celebrities, who requested a visit to the “lead ward” of Hurley Children’s Hospital.

We found that levels did increase after the water switched over in 2014, but only by a modest 0.11 micrograms per deciliter. A similar increase of 0.12 micrograms per deciliter occurred randomly in 2010-11. It is not possible, statistically speaking, to distinguish the increase that occurred at the height of the contamination crisis from other random variations over the previous decade.

It is therefore unfair and inaccurate to point a finger at Flint and repeatedly use the word “poisoned.” All it does is terrify the parents and community members here who truly believe there may be a “generation lost” in this city, when there is no scientific evidence to support this conclusion.

(read the rest at the link---it's pretty good)
Thank you for that link. It is an interesting read.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:34 pm

MrReason wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:00 pm
More political gamesmanship. Nothing more. Just like the first, and now the second impeachment of Trump.

Look for the next republican AG to go after Whitmer for packing COVID-19 patients into nursing homes that killed off grandma.
💯

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:00 pm

Kinda looks like a bad year for big shot business types trying to run governments like a company.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:31 am

This is political and I doubt that Snyder will go to jail since there was no smoking gun on him just low-hanging fruit is all only be going to jail for 1 year if found guilty. Dana screwed the pooch on the Flint Water crisis case as some of the bigger fish aren't being charged or were dropped in 2019 DEQ those that faked the data not being charged I'm glad that Nick Lyons was recharged which the charges shouldn't have ever been dropped, to begin with.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:18 am

I think the focus on Snyder has more to do with how he handled the reports of Legionnaires disease and not the Flint lead poisoning situation.
This is correct.

There is evidence (reportedly) indicating Snyder was aware of the Legionnaire's problem as soon as October of 2014. There are phone records showing numerous discussions between Snyder, Lyons, Muchmore and Baird on the topic.

Also of note, WDIV in Detroit reports that Schuette and Flood were "close" to bringing felony charges against not only Baird but also Snyder. WDIV's reporting corroborates the below report:

https://theintercept.com/2021/01/13/fli ... ionnaires/

Wanna know what I think?

I think Nessel fired Flood because Nessel knew the whole narrative about "Republican officials not caring about Flint" would be blown to shreds if a lead investigator appointed by the former REPUBLICAN Attorney General was responsible for bringing serious charges against the former REPUBLICAN Governor.

Nessel wants to be able to be the hero.

Also, perhaps Nessel is treading lightly vis-a-vis Snyder because she doesn't want a precedent to be established that could come into play later against Whitmer relative to the COVID/nursing home deaths situation?
Criminal investigators saw the entire sequence of calls, coupled with the resulting public silence and denials of any knowledge, as Snyder and his top officials working to stop news of the Legionnaires’ outbreak from emerging. Of the many calls that stood as red flags, Muchmore’s two calls with Michigan Health and Hospital Association, or MHA, stood out to investigators because of MHA’s links to McLaren, the hospital where Legionella bacteria was detected. McLaren Flint was part of MHA’s long list of member hospitals. The board of directors for MHA’s Health PAC was chaired by McLaren executive Thomas DeFauw; Gregory Lane, a McLaren Health Care senior vice president, also sat on the PAC’s board.

Special prosecutor Flood subpoenaed MHA in late 2016 to produce relevant documents pertaining to its communications with the Snyder administration about Legionella. In his petition to subpoena MHA, which was obtained by The Intercept, Flood wrote that MHA joined Snyder and his top officials in keeping the information about the outbreak from the public.

“This evidence shows the Governor, his administration, Director Lyon, and the MHA knew about this outbreak of Legionnaires’ in October 2014, and were interested in keeping the information from going public,” Flood wrote in reference to the avalanche of calls.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:32 am

Another intriguing report:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3bdp9/ ... d-about-it

Definitely calls into question Nessel's work in relation to Flint. I seriously think she didn't want someone else to get credit for prosecutions in relation to Flint.
Three years later, Michigan's new attorney general, Dana Nessel, dropped felony charges related to the alleged KWA bond fraud against Flint emergency managers Darnell Earley and Gerald Ambrose (along with charges against five other high-profile state defendants). In a March 2019 interview, Nessel said that after three years of the Flint water investigation, “I didn’t see any charges at all that had been filed in regard to that.”

Her claim is curious considering former attorney general Bill Schuette charged two Flint emergency managers and two other Flint officials with felonies for their role in the KWA bond deal in 2016.

Beyond the KWA charges being dismissed, other potential financial charges were prematurely stifled, according to Andy Arena, the former chief Flint water criminal investigator. Arena (who was actively investigating the KWA bond deal according to sources close to the Flint probe) told Detroit News that “pretty significant” criminal fraud charges were six months away before he was fired by AG Nessel in 2019. He also said the new prosecution team, led by Michigan Solicitor General Fadwa Hammoud (who replaced Flood), never brought him in for a debriefing of his team’s three years of investigative work.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:28 am

I still contend that Muchmore was at the center of this whole mess and should be charged.
VICE has learned that prosecutors leading the criminal investigation secretly subpoenaed key members of Snyder’s inner circle, including chief of staff Dennis Muchmore, Snyder's “fixer" and top adviser Rich Baird, and state treasurer Andy Dillon, as they built a case against the governor.

― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:02 pm

Maybe, maybe not. Seems to me he would've been charged if the current prosecution team had anything actionable against him.

Emails published from him previously seem to show a consistently sympathetic tone toward the plight of Flint residents.

Another name curiously absent from the discussion is Brian Calley. I thought he "moved his office" to Flint for a prolonged period of time. I am not suggesting at all he did anything wrong. It's just interesting that none of the local activists, residents, or politicians have mentioned him by name - either in a positive or negative context.

With how many Flint families did Snyder directly meet following confirmation that Flint's water was toxic? Did he meet with even ONE family? Or did he hide behind Baird, et al. the entire time?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic