Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan Capitol bans open carry weapons

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Michigan Capitol bans open carry weapons

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:03 pm

Effective Immediately and unanimously.
LANSING — The Michigan Capitol Commission, in a sudden reversal, voted unanimously Monday to ban the open carry of guns inside the Michigan Capitol, effective immediately.

Critics say the ban does not go far enough and the commission should ban all firearms inside the Capitol, whether they are carried openly or concealed, by anyone who is not law enforcement.

The commission had resisted such a move for years and sometimes claimed it did not have the authority to order a gun ban, despite building pressure in recent months amid angry protests, often involving armed men, inside and outside the Capitol.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Robert Faygo

Re: Michigan Capitol bans open carry weapons

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:21 pm

Good start.

I'm with Whitmer on this - they need to go further to protect the Capitol and more importantly the people that work inside.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:22 pm

Stupid useless "feelgood" move.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:50 pm

km1125 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:22 pm
Stupid useless "feelgood" move.
It’ll really feel good not seeing long guns 10 feet away at an angry protest.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:59 am

This will probably shock most of you, but I think open carry should be banned most anywhere. The concept is stupid. Unless you are hunting in an area approved for hunting or wearing a law enforcement or security uniform, carrying an exposed firearm defeats any legitimate purpose for having a firearm on your person for the protection of yourself and your family and creates concern among the people not comfortable around firearms.

It may have made sense (note, I say MAY) when Michigan was a "may issue" state and it was quite difficult in some counties to obtain a CPL permit. Now that we are a "shall issue" state and anyone that can pass a pretty thorough background check, by both the FBI and The Michigan State Police, exhibit a modicum of training in both safety and use and pay $115.00 can obtain a CPL, it makes no sense whatsoever to allow open carry. Personally, if someone either can't get a permit because of the numerous reasons they could be denied or wont go through the process of getting one, I'd just as soon they not carry a firearm anyway.

Note, Michigan is an "open carry" state not because there is a law that say's you can. It's because there isn't a law that say's you can't.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:01 am

Well I suppose if Walmart can ban open carry in their store, why can't anywhere else?

And I agree with Bryce.

Me personally, I don't care to be near folks walking around with a gun out on their hip like they're Wyatt Earp. It's almost always some rotund bafoon that wouldn't be able to get his weapon past his fat rolls in under 5 seconds. Meanwhile whoever his porky paws is trying to engage with has already got 4 or 5 rounds off in my direction.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:06 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:01 am
Well I suppose if Walmart can ban open carry in their store, why can't anywhere else?
Frankly, at least in Michigan, it was never legal to open carry, unless you have a license to conceal carry, in a Walmart if they sold beer, wine or alcohol.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
Note, by the wording, the establishment doesn't even have to actually sell liquor, it just has to be LICENSED to do so. You would be surprised by some of the places that are licensed to sell, but don't do so on a regular basis.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:49 am

Not being allowed to open carry in a Walmart has nothing to do with any laws, statutes or regulations.
The owner of the property simply decided they don't want open carry on their premises.
Failure to leave gets you charged with trespassing. Not some beer or wine regulation.
Any owner of any property, private or commercial, can decide the same.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:35 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:49 am
Not being allowed to open carry in a Walmart has nothing to do with any laws, statutes or regulations.
The owner of the property simply decided they don't want open carry on their premises.
Failure to leave gets you charged with trespassing. Not some beer or wine regulation.
Any owner of any property, private or commercial, can decide the same.
You are correct. I was just pointing out it wasn't legal to do so in Michigan even before they imposed the ban.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:00 pm

Can a private business take away someone's Gawg given right to berr arms?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:19 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:00 pm
Yup! Inside their place of business. Not in the parking lot however.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:32 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:19 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
You absolutely can have anyone removed from private property for any reason. I could put up a sign saying guns not permitted on premises and have the individual trespassed.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:36 pm

I'm not a fan of open carry either I don't really want to see the gun out in public in stores, airports etc.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:48 pm

Bryce wrote:
Turkeytop wrote:
How far does that go. They couldn't refuse entry based on someone's race or religion. But they can force a customer to surrender a constitutionally protected right?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:52 am

Bryce wrote:
Turkeytop wrote:
If I own the Parking lot and I don’t want weapons then there will be no weapons.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic