Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bottle Returns Statewide Open Today

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 4520

Bottle Returns Statewide Open Today

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:39 am

I work in a retail establishment (21 years) and it's been a dream not having to deal with bottle returns for the last several months. We had so much extra space and also extra time for more pressing matters. Personally I feel the bottle bill should NOT be expanded to include water and juice/sports drink bottles. Stores aren't garbage dumps and don't need all the contamination. If people want to recycle they'd do so out of the goodness of their heart and not because of the dimes attached. I think we are at a point in time where two things should happen. Firstly, the deposit system should end and use all the resources from that to create recycling programs and keep the filth out of the stores. Secondly if that is not an option, how about centrally located redemption centers in each county and keep these out of the retail environment? I've seen a lot of nasty things like diapers, needles, tampons, shit, condoms, dead mice, moldy food pieces, etc. Let me ask, is this the type of thing you want in the shopping carts where you put your food and children? Also there needs to be consideration for the safety of the workers who have to handle these. And stores would save a lot of money in labor, energy costs, reverse vending machine costs and repair costs for not having to deal with this. I am 43. I was just a baby when the bottle bill was passed. I do feel cheated that I didn't get a voice in this law.

On a side note, I don't think food stamps should cover the deposits. Imagine people buying cheap cases of water just to dump or pour into jugs and return the bottles for $2.40 cents then turn around and buy smokes, lotto, and beer. I have actually witnessed this with cheap pop. Close the loophole!

km1125

Re: Bottle Returns Statewide Open Today

Post by km1125 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:11 pm

ALL valid points. I was just at Kroger today returned a cartfull of bottles and cans. I could do without that portion of the trip and just dump them in the recycle bin that goes to the curb weekly for years now.

Perhaps the "grocery store workers" unions should take this up as a task and get the ball rolling on appeal!!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:12 am

Unfortunately chain of stores I work for doesn't want anything to do with unions. In a way I wish we had one. Just seems kinda sketchy that a major chain doesn't want a union. Maybe because they know some of their practices aren't righteous.
km1125 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:11 pm
ALL valid points. I was just at Kroger today returned a cartfull of bottles and cans. I could do without that portion of the trip and just dump them in the recycle bin that goes to the curb weekly for years now.

Perhaps the "grocery store workers" unions should take this up as a task and get the ball rolling on appeal!!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:24 pm

TheForce wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:12 am
Unfortunately chain of stores I work for doesn't want anything to do with unions. In a way I wish we had one. Just seems kinda sketchy that a major chain doesn't want a union. Maybe because they know some of their practices aren't righteous.
km1125 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:11 pm

No company should really want or need a union. There should be no 'added value' to having a union anymore. Most of the companies I worked for were adamant about not needing unions and would do anything to avoid that. One thing they did was put the onus on supervisors and managers to avoid the need. If there were grumblings about unionizing in any particular area, the management tree for that area would be immediately reviewed to see why those employees had desires about exploring a third party (union) to come into the mix.

Having said that, I do recognize there are some companies out there that abdicate their responsibilities in this area and deserve the result of having an organized labor force.

In this case, it seems like there are plenty out there in the "food supply" industry. If members have similar concerns as yours (which is seems they should), they should be tasking their unions with resolving the issue, as the collective action is what it would take to move Lansing to make changes, even if temporary.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:02 pm

I believe both Kroger an Meijer are unionized. Weather that is a good or bad thing I don't know. The only part of my store chain that I believe is unionized is the warehouses and truck drivers. Why they chose not to do the same for the retail side I'll never know. I'm pretty chill and go with the flow and I'm not one to quit over grievances I may have. And believe me, I have plenty!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:38 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:37 pm
TheForce wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:39 am
I work in a retail establishment (21 years)
Most people have also worked their way out of minimum wage, but there you are.
That’s not really very fair... you can make well over minimum wage in a job like that after a while.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:22 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:09 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:38 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
TheForce wrote:
That’s not really very fair... you can make well over minimum wage in a job like that after a while.
Most people do, but here we are.
Where did he say he made minimum wage?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:14 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:01 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:22 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:09 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:38 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
TheForce wrote:
Most people do, but here we are.
Where did he say he made minimum wage?
I can tell.
Ah... takes one to know one... got it.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:18 pm

TheForce wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:02 pm
I believe both Kroger an Meijer are unionized.
Meijer is by choice. You can join if you wish. You don't have to if you desire not to.
I don't know anything about Kroger.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:40 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:18 pm
TheForce wrote:
Meijer is by choice. You can join if you wish. You don't have to if you desire not to.
When I worked there you had to join. But I suppose all shops are optional with right to work...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:46 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:18 pm
TheForce wrote:
That's called "Right to Work." All employees enjoy the benefit of the collective agreement, but freeloaders can avoid paying Union dues.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:49 pm

I thought that bottle returns already was statewide in June? I like the bottle return and getting money back it's a good thing to have.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic