Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MI Supreme Court finds 1945 Emergency Powers Act Unconstitutional

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

MI Supreme Court finds 1945 Emergency Powers Act Unconstitutional

Post by bmw » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:55 pm

...and thus, finds that Governor Whitmer lacked the authority to declare any further states of emergency after April 30. I assume this means that the executive orders based on these declarations are null and void as well.

https://www.abc12.com/2020/10/02/michig ... -pandemic/
In a split 4-3 ruling, the majority opinion of justices says Whitmer lost the authority to continue a State of Emergency for the coronavirus pandemic after April 30, when the Michigan Legislature declined to extend it.

Michigan’s Emergency Management Act of 1976 allows the governor to declare a State of Emergency for up to 28 days without input from the Legislature, but approval from lawmakers is required after that.

Whitmer invoked the 1945 Emergency Powers of the Governor Act on April 30 to continue the State the Emergency and issue dozens more executive orders increasing and decreasing restrictions to prevent the spread of coronavirus without legislative approval.

However, the Supreme Court ruled that the 1945 law constitutes an unconstitutional delegation of lawmaking authority from the Legislative to the Executive branch of state government.

Based on that, the court ruled that all of Whitmer’s coronavirus orders after April 30 “lack any basis under Michigan law.”

TC Talks

Re: MI Supreme Court finds 1945 Emergency Powers Act Unconstitutional

Post by TC Talks » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:16 pm

That's an interesting ruling. Doesn't seem partisan at all.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:19 pm

WHO CARES? Bottom line is it looks like every single one of Whitmer's EO's just went up in smoke.

Masks? No longer mandated. Anywhere, including schools.
Businesses? All can legally open, at full capacity, without social distancing measures.

This will open the floodgates for lawsuits too from businesses who went under or lost a lot of money.

Now I suspect the MI legislature will get to work ASAP coming up with a more reasonable set of regulations. Whether Whitmer will veto what they come up with remains to be seen. She brought all this upon herself the moment she gave the finger to the legislature.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:31 pm

Hey RT, what is the tyrant's record now?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

zzand

Post by zzand » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Has she issued a statement yet?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:35 pm

Total bullshit. These partisan hacks need to wakeup. We are in a fucking pandemic. Vote McCormack and Welch.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:38 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:35 pm
Total bullshit. These partisan hacks need to wakeup. We are in a fucking pandemic. Vote McCormack and Welch.
I agree that Whitmer’s overreach was total bullshit, and luckily, so did the court! Lee Chatfield has already tweeted that it is time to work cooperatively.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:45 pm

The idiots in the Michigan senate and house can't even agree to a road funding response much less the largest pandemic in 100 years.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:46 pm

$10 says MCRF doesn't have the slightest clue what the reasoning was behind the ruling.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:47 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:38 pm
I agree that Whitmer’s overreach was total bullshit, and luckily, so did the court! Lee Chatfield has already tweeted that it is time to work cooperatively.
Which means don’t wear a mask and go full bore into opening because we have done this for long enough. Got it.

I don’t trust the legislature to be reasonable... they haven’t shown that ability in the past, I have no reason to believe they’ll suddenly start.

Oh and 1-2... but they got the one that counts.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:49 pm

ZZand - she did, in fact, issue a statement.

She basically wagged her finger in the face of the court and said because the ruling doesn't become effective for at least 21 more days (is that true?), every aspect of her emergency order remains in place.

There are probably loopholes to the ruling. I suspect she will try to exploit any such loopholes. For example, what would prevent her from declaring a new emergency? Couldn't she just modify the reason(s) for the emergency declaration, and thus have it be viewed as distinct & separate from the original declaration?

The appropriate thing to do here is work with the legislature. I disagree with the earlier criticism of Chatfield, et al. Republican leadership has shown a willingness to work with her on the budget, insurance reform and other matters. She has turned her back on the legislature.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:50 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:49 pm
ZZand - she did, in fact, issue a statement.

She basically wagged her finger in the face of the court and said because the ruling doesn't become effective for at least 21 more days (is that true?), every aspect of her emergency order remains in place.

There are probably loopholes to the ruling. What would prevent her from declaring a new emergency? Couldn't she just modify the reason(s) for the emergency declaration, and thus have it be viewed as distinct & separate from the original declaration?
I was wondering about canceling and reissuing it on day 29... could she do that? Just Cancel and reissue then at once?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:52 pm

As an aside, horrible journalism to not mention who on the MI Supreme Court voted for and against this measure.

Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:54 pm

Multiple outlets, in fact, failed to identify how each individual justice ruled.

I agree 100% - pathetically lazy journalism. Not the least bit surprised!!!
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:56 pm

Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:52 pm
As an aside, horrible journalism to not mention who on the MI Supreme Court voted for and against this measure.
The intelligent members voted to overturn, and the partisan hacks voted in favor of the tyrant.
Rate This wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:47 pm
Matt wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:38 pm
Which means don’t wear a mask and go full bore into opening because we have done this for long enough. Got it.

I don’t trust the legislature to be reasonable... they haven’t shown that ability in the past, I have no reason to believe they’ll suddenly start.

Oh and 1-2... but they got the one that counts.
Road funding was done in 2015 or 2016. If you traveled at all this summer, you would have seen all the projects in process. The legislature and the state at large HATED Karen's 45 cent, highest gas tax in the country.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic