Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Glorified babysitters scared to return to work

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Glorified babysitters scared to return to work

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:37 pm

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Matt

Re: Glorified babysitters scared to return to work

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:46 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:39 pm
Matt wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:37 pm
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/20 ... -safe.html

Cry me a river...
Oh, they’re not glorified.

Quite the opposite.
In their minds, they are the greatest people to ever live. I once was told by a fat slob that was a teacher that they would be underpaid at $1M per year.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:00 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:53 pm
Matt wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:46 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:39 pm
Matt wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:37 pm
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/20 ... -safe.html

Cry me a river...
Oh, they’re not glorified.

Quite the opposite.
In their minds, they are the greatest people to ever live. I once was told by a fat slob that was a teacher that they would be underpaid at $1M per year.
Not bad for taking a quarter of the year off.
When you consider all of the other breaks, its probably 35% of the year off.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:03 pm

My wife teaches 2nd grade in the public schools. Your subject line of this post is completely ignorant and quite maddening. She went until June 17th this year and starts back up August 17th. Many times (this year included) she has to spend time doing continuing education to uphold her accreditation with either in person classes or online classes so that she maintains her teaching certification. She has spent 2 weeks this summer trying to gain credits. In addition, she has been trying to better the experience in case they have to virtual by gaining additional online material so that her students can get the most out of the online experience if it comes to that. I have all the respect in the world for those in her profession, they definitely earn their paycheck and time off they get. Like all professions you have your POS's. My father always had a rule no matter what profession 90% come in- work hard 10% are just plain slugs and no good. Perhaps a 70%-30% rule for lawyers. That's about it. Yes absolutely she is worried as are many of her coworkers. These kids are walking germs, get sent to school so either Mom and Dad if there is both, get a break from lilttle Johnny so they can go to work and not take a sick day, sick kid gets sent to school. She gets sick all the time- hence that makes me a little worried too. Your talking to an independent that leans right so you need to get your mind right with that bullshit talk.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:34 pm

You said it..... I would venture that anyone who is so down on teachers was never one or married to one. My wife was a special ed. for 38 years and had to spend her own time and money to keep her certifications. That's taking personal time or vacation for travel and lodging 3 hours away to get the best seminars available, so she could give her students the best chance for making it in life.
If teachers are such slackers why it it that they are the ones putting themselves between the kids and an attacker They don't get hazard pay or purple hearts but for the love of the job.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:47 pm

There are many questions going unanswered and unfortunately, the Village Idiot has employed a dunce to run the Department of Education.

I predict half the districts in the US won't be opening as the White House thinks they should be. Maybe we can hire people to take the tests for America's children, just like Trump did.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:54 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:47 pm
There are many questions going unanswered and unfortunately, the Village Idiot has employed a dunce to run the Department of Education.

I predict half the districts in the US won't be opening as the White House thinks they should be. Maybe we can hire people to take the tests for America's children, just like Trump did.
For a cabinet that has generally been a revolving door, its somewhat shocking that the least competent is one of the few that have made it the duration.
Mr.Transistor wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:03 pm
My wife teaches 2nd grade in the public schools. Your subject line of this post is completely ignorant and quite maddening. She went until June 17th this year and starts back up August 17th. Many times (this year included) she has to spend time doing continuing education to uphold her accreditation with either in person classes or online classes so that she maintains her teaching certification. She has spent 2 weeks this summer trying to gain credits. In addition, she has been trying to better the experience in case they have to virtual by gaining additional online material so that her students can get the most out of the online experience if it comes to that. I have all the respect in the world for those in her profession, they definitely earn their paycheck and time off they get. Like all professions you have your POS's. My father always had a rule no matter what profession 90% come in- work hard 10% are just plain slugs and no good. Perhaps a 70%-30% rule for lawyers. That's about it. Yes absolutely she is worried as are many of her coworkers. These kids are walking germs, get sent to school so either Mom and Dad if there is both, get a break from lilttle Johnny so they can go to work and not take a sick day, sick kid gets sent to school. She gets sick all the time- hence that makes me a little worried too. Your talking to an independent that leans right so you need to get your mind right with that bullshit talk.
You conveniently forgot to mention that she did not have to deal with kids for the last 3 months of the year. Also, the poor dear! Barely 60 consecutive days off!

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:06 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:54 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:47 pm

For a cabinet that has generally been a revolving door, its somewhat shocking that the least competent is one of the few that have made it the duration.
Mr.Transistor wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:03 pm
You conveniently forgot to mention that she did not have to deal with kids for the last 3 months of the year. Also, the poor dear! Barely 60 consecutive days off!
You really need to think before you type and make assumptions based on what you THINK you know. That's right she was eating bon-bons and sleeping in until 10am every single day- Appears to be your line of thinking. No she was teaching - doing online instruction, holding zoom meetings every day- mid March thru June. Not only did she have to deal with kids(virtual) and she also had deal with parents and their daily questions which many times turned into parent/teacher conf. meetings. Was it ideal ? Hell no, nobody saw it coming. They had to make the most with the cards they were dealt.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:20 pm

Newsflash: everyone is dealing with the unexpected right now. Zoom meetings are awful, but they are a current, lasting reality. Was she working 12-14 hours a day for a lot of the shutdown? I was, and one day I worked until after 2am. I don't have two consecutive months off. Was she sold a bill of goods when she went into teaching? Teachers don't have an easy job, but they knew that going in. Kids need to be back in school, come September.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:27 pm

Public schools are a shambles, the answer is vouchers.

Thread Killer

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:56 pm

UP906 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:27 pm
So corporations can glean off 20 percent of the funds borrow against the school and bankrupt it? As an added benefit, they have little accountability. Seems to be how it's been going...

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/news/ed/17/ ... er-schools
Last edited by TC Talks on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

UP906

Post by UP906 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:57 pm

Give parents the choice.

Thread Killer

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:59 pm

UP906 wrote:
Many are, but not all. No issue with vouchers.

PS Jumped the shark on the thread title.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:01 pm

audiophile wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:59 pm
UP906 wrote:
Many are, but not all. No issue with vouchers.

PS Jumped the shark on the thread title.
Why? As TT says, "Public teachers unions are to high quality educational outcomes as a feeding tube is to fine dining."

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:44 am

UP906 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:57 pm
Give parents the choice.
Neat slogan, how do they not have a choice:

A) Schools of Choice
B) Charter schools
C) Home Schools
D) Private schools

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic