Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

First wave of budget cuts

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 13307

First wave of budget cuts

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:39 pm

State Police ($115 million) and Dept of Corrections ($392.6 million) are your "winners". Consider the MSP officially defunded ... we can all go 90 on I-75 and there won't be anyone to pull you over and no jail to send you to.

https://www.senate.michigan.gov/sfa/Pub ... 072220.pdf

Rate This

Re: First wave of budget cuts

Post by Rate This » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:02 pm

Howard Jones wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:39 pm
State Police ($115 million) and Dept of Corrections ($392.6 million) are your "winners". Consider the MSP officially defunded ... we can all go 90 on I-75 and there won't be anyone to pull you over and no jail to send you to.

https://www.senate.michigan.gov/sfa/Pub ... 072220.pdf
Bluster much?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:23 pm

Oof, how is the department of corrections going to cut $400 million?
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:37 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:23 pm
Oof, how is the department of corrections going to cut $400 million?
Privatize! I have a lease on 22 acres in the Dominican. I've done a few studies. I can house an inmate for about 9,000.00 per year there and make a tidy profit even after expenses of building a facility. That would save the state about 30,000.00 per year per inmate.

41,000 prisoners, minus the 10,000 or so that will be getting out in the next 3 years, equals 31,000. 31,000 inmates multiplied by $30,000 per year adds up to $930,000,000. Problem solved and we can give the surplus to the State Police Budget.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 am

A) Eliminate thousands of jobs and send them off shore? Great Idea Trumper

B) You can't limit the access from family and lawyers by removing them from the state

C) Oversight to complied with state laws

D) Cruel and unusual punishment
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:00 am

The one gain is school aid, which is going up $210 million, or a whopping 337 percent.

This indeed looks exactly like "defunding." Take money from the police and move it to education. I doubt the local media will have much (if anything) to say about this.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:24 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:00 am
The one gain is school aid, which is going up $210 million, or a whopping 337 percent.

This indeed looks exactly like "defunding." Take money from the police and move it to education. I doubt the local media will have much (if anything) to say about this.
So a wealth transfer from the police unions to the MEA?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:39 am

Federal money is going to be used to replace the vast majority of these cuts. It's COVID funds, so the semantics will say that the Fed money will be used to mitigate COVID.

The state can and will implement "temporary" layoffs and hiring freezes for state employees, which is what they are doing. They cannot do the same for teachers which fall under local bargaining agreements. The MEA is only a trade and lobbying organization- they don't bargain for teachers. Thus the shell game with the money.

Pretty complicated, but after reading a bunch more, what the gov and the legislature are doing makes sense to take the best advantage of what is coming from Washington.

I know praising both sides of the government is strictly prohibited here, I'll show myself out.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:15 am

Howard Jones wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:39 am
Federal money is going to be used to replace the vast majority of these cuts. It's COVID funds, so the semantics will say that the Fed money will be used to mitigate COVID.

The state can and will implement "temporary" layoffs and hiring freezes for state employees, which is what they are doing. They cannot do the same for teachers which fall under local bargaining agreements. The MEA is only a trade and lobbying organization- they don't bargain for teachers. Thus the shell game with the money.

Pretty complicated, but after reading a bunch more, what the gov and the legislature are doing makes sense to take the best advantage of what is coming from Washington.

I know praising both sides of the government is strictly prohibited here, I'll show myself out.
If both sides are in on it the single Party folks can sit down and shut up.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:42 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 am
Nah, most prison guards would love to have a job in regular law enforcement. The savings will allow us to hire them as such. Detroit is begging for officers as are other cities in our state.
TC Talks wrote:
B) You can't limit the access from family and lawyers by removing them from the state
The offshore prison would be only for people already convicted and serving sentences of 15 years to life. If they need to speak with a lawyer, or their family, zoom is a wonderful option.
TC Talks wrote:
I'll bet there are any number of state bureaucrats that would love to visit the Dominican on a rotating basis to provide oversight.
TC Talks wrote:

People spend money to vacation in the Dominican. Why would housing inmates there be cruel?

You didn't seem to have a problem with Big Gretch confining the entire state to house arrest for two months, but sending convicted felons to the Dominican you have a problem with?
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:12 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:42 am
TC Talks wrote:
Nah, most prison guards would love to have a job in regular law enforcement. The savings will allow us to hire them as such. Detroit is begging for officers as are other cities in our state.
TC Talks wrote:
The offshore prison would be only for people already convicted and serving sentences of 15 years to life. If they need to speak with a lawyer, or their family, zoom is a wonderful option.
TC Talks wrote:
I'll bet there are any number of state bureaucrats that would love to visit the Dominican on a rotating basis to provide oversight.
TC Talks wrote:

People spend money to vacation in the Dominican. Why would housing inmates there be cruel?

You didn't seem to have a problem with Big Gretch confining the entire state to house arrest for two months, but sending convicted felons to the Dominican you have a problem with?
House arrest...?

🤡

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic