Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Glorified babysitters scared to return to work

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
tapeisrolling

Re: Glorified babysitters scared to return to work

Post by tapeisrolling » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:42 am

Saw this the other day and wondered what other job but maybe a pro athlete paying back the bonus for quiting early.

ARIZONA Phoenix: A music teacher who resigned after being told he’d have to be on campus to teach virtual classes amid the pandemic is facing a $2,000 fine. The Dysart Unified School District is set to charge Tavious Peterkin to release him from his contract. Such a fee is common in Arizona school districts

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:41 pm

I'd pay the fine provided they pay unemployment, LOL

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:17 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:56 pm
km1125 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:53 pm
Matt wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:54 am
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:03 am
How dare teachers want to stop COVID when they return home! Bad teacher! You supply everything for your classroom while making $42K a year, how greedy! Don't you realize that the superintendents who make $105K a year have it so much worse than you????
The average salary (not counting benefits) is $60,452 for nine months of work. That equates to $80,602 for 12 months. That is NOT underpaid.
Not only that, but if you look at the average classroom of ~25 students, most districts in the state are getting near $10k per student. That gives about $250,000 per classroom every single year. If the teachers are really only getting $60-$80K, where is the rest of that money going to?? It does not cost anywhere NEAR that amount to maintain a single classroom on a proportional share of the common facilities.

Where is the rest of the money going??
Heating, cooling, cleaning and Maintanance on a building that big is expensive. This isn’t your shed that’s collapsing in the backyard and you don’t have to worry about it. Not to mention supplies, technology, furniture, food for the kiddos, transportation, grounds Maintanance, play equipment for recess, gym equipment, musical instruments, books for the library and all the support staff needed to make it all go round plus folks to oversee all the staff and teachers all the way up to the administration.

My advice:
Go visit a school sometime and take stock of all the stuff that’s there. It all cost part of that $250,000 per classroom (although I think it’s more like $8000 a student).
$8,000 is just what they get from the state. They get a lot more from other sources, including the FEDS (not that I agree with that, but it's just the way it is)

Yes, building maintenance and operations take money, but it's fractional compared to the teacher labor and other associated costs. That $60k to $80k is also just the teacher salary and all their other benefits cut a into a big chunk of that $250k/classroom.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:18 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:30 pm
km1125 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:55 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:47 pm
Matt wrote:
How dare teachers want to stop COVID when they return home! Bad teacher! You supply everything for your classroom while making $42K a year, how greedy! Don't you realize that the superintendents who make $105K a year have it so much worse than you????
The average salary (not counting benefits) is $60,452 for nine months of work. That equates to $80,602 for 12 months. That is NOT underpaid.
They usually have masters degrees. How much are you making? You could be replaced by a computer, no?

If the masters degree doesn't make them significantly better at doing their job, why should anyone be paying for it? If their students were coming out a grade ahead of everyone else, that might make sense, but I don't think you'll see that's the case anywhere.
There are certainly some shortsided MBA's. I think when you look at the certifications, annual training, and the hours spent outside the classroom on the job, you should have a better appreciation that it's more than a banker or working the counter at the local Shell station.
Should I pay that Shell station attendant more just because he has a masters?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:00 am

km1125 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:18 pm
TC Talks wrote:
km1125 wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Matt wrote:
They usually have masters degrees. How much are you making? You could be replaced by a computer, no?

If the masters degree doesn't make them significantly better at doing their job, why should anyone be paying for it? If their students were coming out a grade ahead of everyone else, that might make sense, but I don't think you'll see that's the case anywhere.
There are certainly some shortsided MBA's. I think when you look at the certifications, annual training, and the hours spent outside the classroom on the job, you should have a better appreciation that it's more than a banker or working the counter at the local Shell station.
Good question. If his abilities and responsibilities increase, yes. That generally is the case with teachers. They usually are tapped to teach harder corses or at the honor or AP level once they have more education.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:02 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:00 am
km1125 wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
km1125 wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Matt wrote:

Good question. If his abilities and responsibilities increase, yes. That generally is the case with teachers. They usually are tapped to teach harder corses or at the honor or AP level once they have more education.
I would not say that's generally the case with teachers! If you have MORE qualifications than the position requires and that can't be put to good use, too bad for you!! They are teaching MIDDLE SCHOOL or HIGH SCHOOL, not college!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:56 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:02 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:00 am
km1125 wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
km1125 wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Matt wrote:

I would not say that's generally the case with teachers! If you have MORE qualifications than the position requires and that can't be put to good use, too bad for you!! They are teaching MIDDLE SCHOOL or HIGH SCHOOL, not college!!
AP classes are for college credit and most honors English, Math and Science require more than a teaching certificate. Unless you took those types of classes, you might not realize that there are serious students looking to be successful.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:30 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:56 pm
km1125 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:02 pm
AP classes are for college credit and most honors English, Math and Science require more than a teaching certificate. Unless you took those types of classes, you might not realize that there are serious students looking to be successful.
I took all the "AP" classes. After just FOUR years of college I would have been VERY comfortable teaching any of those AP classes I took. No masters would have been necessary to do that effectively, nor would have provided much more value to the students.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic