Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Glorified babysitters scared to return to work

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Re: Glorified babysitters scared to return to work

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:56 pm

UP906 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:23 pm
Maybe it isn't about the kids at all. Check out the list of "demands" from the Los Angeles Teacher's Union.

https://californiaglobe.com/section-2/l ... -defunded/
Seems appropriate to paraphrase TT again: "Public teachers unions are to high quality educational outcomes as a feeding tube is to fine dining."

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:26 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:32 am
Mr.Transistor wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:03 pm
.... My wife teaches 2nd grade in the public schools .....
Mr Transistor. Just the person I want to talk to. I want you to show this to your wife, and get her opinion, which promise me I will value:

What do we do about the kids that are not going to get taught at home? I have a specific true scenario here. I have a niece and her husband that are doing nothing with their 4th and 1st (in the fall) grade kids. To be brutally honest, these two couldn't teach an ice cube how to melt. Their not even half hearted attempt at teaching is to flop them in front of the Netflix Kids or some educational stuff on Amazon. "Watch this". And that's it. No watching with them, no making sure they are grasping any concepts in any way. No attempt to get materials from the district (Bedford). And even if they did, I'm sure they would do nothing with them. I ponder if those two Big Dummy Walking could understand it themselves.

Realistically, they can't be the only ones. I truly believe there is going to be a sizable percentage of kids showing up in classrooms, whenever that does happen, because their folks could write a book "Parenting by Self Proctology"

I say all that to say this.
What can be done about something like this? Should there be an incentive to get some kids back?
Should the schools test out the kids, see which are being taught, which are not? Could the testing ascertain who comes back and who don't? Let the kids that know their stuff stay home and let their parents that are doing a great job continue to do so? Bring back the kids who ain't learning nothin' back to the classroom?

Her thoughts?
Mike Oxlong, no simple answer. I do appreciate you asking. On a sidenote, she does not like to get involved in forums like this because it is difficult to have a reasonable conversation with most people. To prove my point she saw the subject line of this and walked away in disgust due to the lack of reasonable understanding- as a "glorified babysitter" Obviously the poster of this lacks any reasonable understanding of the subject matter, just easy to throw stones. So anyways...... she had a lot of students that fit your description. She actually teaches in a very good district that has resources however the particular school she teaches at is located near some apartments which has a lot of "transients", many of the kids that feed into the school from these apartments are lower on the learning scale, behavior issues, low income families, parent(s) is like you described. Nope the situation you describe is very common. Teaching in the fall, if it would have to go virtual would be different expectations than what happened in March when everyone got sent home. By different expectations- more would be expected from these kids. Now to make it clear she DOES want to go back and start out with a baseline for these kids, get to know them/her, see what they can do and can't do, set goals on getting these kids to certain levels. It's damn near hard to do this if you have never met the child in person. She had formed relationships with these kids during the past school year that most of the kids would want to do their work and not want to disappoint or fall in disfavor with the teacher.
Unfortunately you cannot pick and choose who to bring to the classroom and who stays at home. It's one or the other. In March because this was all new and you cannot penalize kids for their home situation, no internet, kid watching younger siblings there was not much for expectations, it was just either pass/ fail the material but really no penalty. She had some kids that would not participate in zoom meetings and rarely did their Google classroom work. She was required by her school to make attempts to reach out to the family via email and phone to make sure the kid was alright and try to make an attempt to get the child to participate in the activities. The learning from home really is not good for kids- my own child prime example. Does well and will interact with the school activities when he is in the situation but when not at school - good luck getting and keeping him engaged. The pandemic was the worst thing that could happen for him, he is not the virtual learner type and for many kids.
The fall because this situation is "not new"- expectations will be near normal levels because they have the whole year in front of them and who knows how long it would be if the government would mandate schools to not open.
I agree kids need it, everyone needs to get back to school. I'm not not so sure it can be done safely if cases are on the uptick and out of control. I know with things in the WH they want the kids back come hell or highwater, it's been the mantra all along to get everything back to normal. In your situation hopefully there is school and those kids go back, if not hopefully the teacher will recognize that some kids don't get much help at home and can try to spend some extra time with those kids but if the parents could care less if the kids are getting online to any work that's where the disconnect is with this learning online thing is. Might be a rambled answer but let's hope they get back to school safely.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:29 pm

tapeisrolling wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:13 am
We are seeing the result of years of kicking the can down the road. Same way we addressed the road issue. Let the next group deal with it because we are doing the 'death by a thousand cuts' management style. Roads, education, Post Office... you name it, life isn't free so now the cost is a much steeper than if it were taken care of before.

If you think the teacher is all done for the day when the Zoom gets turned off, your wrong. There is a lot of prep that goes into a lesson plan because the class is 20-30 individuals and you have to make it work for all the different levels. Multiply that by how many classes that they are responsible for. So there goes your evening getting ready for the next day. Wash, rinse, repeat....
tapeisrolling- I thought a guy like Mike Valenti who is on air from 2-6 only works 4 hours a day?!? I was under the belief the news anchors on our tv screens showed up about a half hour before the 6pm and 11pm news?! They put in more hours......your shitting me?!?

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:32 pm

tapeisrolling wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:34 pm
You said it..... I would venture that anyone who is so down on teachers was never one or married to one. My wife was a special ed. for 38 years and had to spend her own time and money to keep her certifications. That's taking personal time or vacation for travel and lodging 3 hours away to get the best seminars available, so she could give her students the best chance for making it in life.
If teachers are such slackers why it it that they are the ones putting themselves between the kids and an attacker They don't get hazard pay or purple hearts but for the love of the job.

God Bless her!

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:37 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:26 pm
Mike Oxlong wrote:
Mr.Transistor wrote:
Mr Transistor. Just the person I want to talk to. I want you to show this to your wife, and get her opinion, which promise me I will value:

What do we do about the kids that are not going to get taught at home? I have a specific true scenario here. I have a niece and her husband that are doing nothing with their 4th and 1st (in the fall) grade kids. To be brutally honest, these two couldn't teach an ice cube how to melt. Their not even half hearted attempt at teaching is to flop them in front of the Netflix Kids or some educational stuff on Amazon. "Watch this". And that's it. No watching with them, no making sure they are grasping any concepts in any way. No attempt to get materials from the district (Bedford). And even if they did, I'm sure they would do nothing with them. I ponder if those two Big Dummy Walking could understand it themselves.

Realistically, they can't be the only ones. I truly believe there is going to be a sizable percentage of kids showing up in classrooms, whenever that does happen, because their folks could write a book "Parenting by Self Proctology"

What can be done about something like this? Should there be an incentive to get some kids back?
Should the schools test out the kids, see which are being taught, which are not? Could the testing ascertain who comes back and who don't? Let the kids that know their stuff stay home and let their parents that are doing a great job continue to do so? Bring back the kids who ain't learning nothin' back to the classroom?

Her thoughts?
Mike Oxlong, no simple answer. I do appreciate you asking. On a sidenote, she does not like to get involved in forums like this because it is difficult to have a reasonable conversation with most people. To prove my point she saw the subject line of this and walked away in disgust due to the lack of reasonable understanding- as a "glorified babysitter" Obviously the poster of this lacks any reasonable understanding of the subject matter, just easy to throw stones. So anyways...... she had a lot of students that fit your description. She actually teaches in a very good district that has resources however the particular school she teaches at is located near some apartments which has a lot of "transients", many of the kids that feed into the school from these apartments are lower on the learning scale, behavior issues, low income families, parent(s) is like you described. Nope the situation you describe is very common. Teaching in the fall, if it would have to go virtual would be different expectations than what happened in March when everyone got sent home. By different expectations- more would be expected from these kids. Now to make it clear she DOES want to go back and start out with a baseline for these kids, get to know them/her, see what they can do and can't do, set goals on getting these kids to certain levels. It's damn near hard to do this if you have never met the child in person. She had formed relationships with these kids during the past school year that most of the kids would want to do their work and not want to disappoint or fall in disfavor with the teacher.
Unfortunately you cannot pick and choose who to bring to the classroom and who stays at home. It's one or the other. In March because this was all new and you cannot penalize kids for their home situation, no internet, kid watching younger siblings there was not much for expectations, it was just either pass/ fail the material but really no penalty. She had some kids that would not participate in zoom meetings and rarely did their Google classroom work. She was required by her school to make attempts to reach out to the family via email and phone to make sure the kid was alright and try to make an attempt to get the child to participate in the activities. The learning from home really is not good for kids- my own child prime example. Does well and will interact with the school activities when he is in the situation but when not at school - good luck getting and keeping him engaged. The pandemic was the worst thing that could happen for him, he is not the virtual learner type and for many kids.
The fall because this situation is "not new"- expectations will be near normal levels because they have the whole year in front of them and who knows how long it would be if the government would mandate schools to not open.
I agree kids need it, everyone needs to get back to school. I'm not not so sure it can be done safely if cases are on the uptick and out of control. I know with things in the WH they want the kids back come hell or highwater, it's been the mantra all along to get everything back to normal. In your situation hopefully there is school and those kids go back, if not hopefully the teacher will recognize that some kids don't get much help at home and can try to spend some extra time with those kids but if the parents could care less if the kids are getting online to any work that's where the disconnect is with this learning online thing is. Might be a rambled answer but let's hope they get back to school safely.
The truth hurts, huh?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:43 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:37 pm
Mr.Transistor wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:26 pm
Mike Oxlong wrote:
Mr.Transistor wrote:

Her thoughts?
The truth hurts, huh?
From an ignorant asshole on said subject it's just disappointing. Not going to change your mind anyhow nor would I expect it, until you walk in another's shoes or try to place yourself there.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:49 pm

There isn't a bigger group of whiners than teachers. You're not going to change my opinion on that. If they truly cared about students, they would call out terrible teachers and fight for objective reforms like getting rid of social promotion.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:17 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:49 pm
There isn't a bigger group of whiners than teachers. You're not going to change my opinion on that. If they truly cared about students, they would call out terrible teachers and fight for objective reforms like getting rid of social promotion.
The conservative victims here whine more than teachers...
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:44 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:49 pm
Since I once was a non-union high-school completion teacher, I feel I can speak on this.

I think you might be painting with an airbrush on high. Smaller districts don't have this problem, it's the big inner-city schools.

A little bit more competition might go a long way to fixing the issue. Governor Engler started a revolution with school choice:
Engler, who served three terms as governor beginning in 1990, supports public schools of choice and funding charter schools with state dollars. As governor, he pushed for the passage of the Michigan Charter School Act in 1994.
We shouldn't forget about the asphalt magnate that wanted to donate nearly 1/4 BILLION to fix Detroit schools, but the DFT moron's said: “We’re prepared to sue” :rolleyes

https://www.mackinac.org/7475

https://newsone.com/788435/why-detroit- ... ark-didnt/
Last edited by audiophile on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

UP906

Post by UP906 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:50 am

Vouchers are the answer.
Thread Killer

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:14 pm

More proof that teachers are lazy: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/us/t ... u6y1CfyMNf

Now they want to limit the time they are required to DO THEIR FUCKING JOBS!!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:03 am

How dare teachers want to stop COVID when they return home! Bad teacher! You supply everything for your classroom while making $42K a year, how greedy! Don't you realize that the superintendents who make $105K a year have it so much worse than you????
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:54 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:03 am
How dare teachers want to stop COVID when they return home! Bad teacher! You supply everything for your classroom while making $42K a year, how greedy! Don't you realize that the superintendents who make $105K a year have it so much worse than you????
The average salary (not counting benefits) is $60,452 for nine months of work. That equates to $80,602 for 12 months. That is NOT underpaid.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:06 am

I agree they are not underpaid but not all teachers feel this way.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:47 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:54 am
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:03 am
The average salary (not counting benefits) is $60,452 for nine months of work. That equates to $80,602 for 12 months. That is NOT underpaid.
They usually have masters degrees. How much are you making? You could be replaced by a computer, no?
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic