Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer to extend stay-home order; state furloughs workers

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**

Matt

Re: Whitmer to extend stay-home order; state furloughs workers

Post by Matt » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:27 pm

10 day layoffs and essential automatic enrollment in unemployment is going to save the state in pocket change. It's a slap on the face to Michigan residents that are struggling with the state's unemployment system.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:39 pm

This exactly. They get automatically enrolled in unemployment while everyone else struggles to get the damn website to work!

I am curious what changes will be made with the next round of stay at home.
Matt wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:27 pm
10 day layoffs and essential automatic enrollment in unemployment is going to save the state in pocket change. It's a slap on the face to Michigan residents that are struggling with the state's unemployment system.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:50 pm

I'm very thankful that I'm in a position that I don't have to worry about dealing with unemployment, but I have extended family members that have had extreme difficulty filing for unemployment. Both individuals could be theoretically working and are arguably "essential".
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:58 pm

I am back to work as of this past Monday. Some of us are wearing masks and some are not. They are provided as are gloves. Also the $2 extra per hour has been extended through May 1st. However I feel this should continue as long as the stay at home order and Covid-19 issue is going on. Why only compensate for part of the time and not all of it?

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:01 pm

TheForce wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:58 pm
I am back to work as of this past Monday. Some of us are wearing masks and some are not. They are provided as are gloves. Also the $2 extra per hour has been extended through May 1st. However I feel this should continue as long as the stay at home order and Covid-19 issue is going on. Why only compensate for part of the time and not all of it?
From an optics standpoint, it would make sense for your employer to offer the additional pay through the end of July to coincide with the CARES Act unemployment bonus of $600/week.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:40 am

I'm wondering why anyone will want to go back to work. By my estimation, If you are at a income that maxes out your Michigan unemployment payment, then add it to the federal amount of 600.00 per week, you will be getting paid 960.00 per week to stay home.

Even at the minimum unemployment amount, a person would be getting 760.00 per week with the federal amount included. Where is the incentive to enter the workforce before the 26 week eligibility expires?
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:54 am

Whitmer, yesterday:
There will be some form of a stay-at-home order in effect for a long time
Great.

Things will get interesting, however, if Republicans decide not to grant her another extension beyond April 30. Jim Stamas (currently the Appropriations Chair) says he does not support extending it.

Whitmer, however, seems to now think that she doesn't need legislative approval to extend the order. She claims that an older 1945 law gives her the power to do it.
My powers come from a couple different parts of statute, and so I believe that regardless of what the Legislature does, I still retain those powers.
Legal experts say it could end up in court.
If the Legislature decides not to extend the emergency declaration under the 1976 law, Whitmer wouldn’t have to do anything else to extend the stay-home order, said Peter Ruddell, a lawyer at Honigman law firm and a former aide to GOP Senate Majority Leader Dan DeGrow.

“Both laws give the governor incredibly broad powers” to take action under a declaration of disaster or emergency, he said, so Republicans would have little luck arguing in court that she needs their approval.

However, Republicans may be able to argue that she overextended her powers under the emergency declarations by broadening the scope to address the “health, economic, and social harms” of the emergency, Ruddell said. “Such a declaration of emergency could arguably be beyond the police powers of the state.”

Both sides may prefer to negotiate and stick with the 1975 law to protect first responders. But if it goes to court, Ruddell said, “this is untested. We’ve never had a separation of powers issue in this state that has reached litigation of this magnitude.”
https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-gover ... past-may-1

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:20 pm

If she extends it on her own motion, then we just need to be safe, wear a mask, and ignore her.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:24 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:54 am
Whitmer, yesterday:
There will be some form of a stay-at-home order in effect for a long time
Great.

Things will get interesting, however, if Republicans decide not to grant her another extension beyond April 30. Jim Stamas (currently the Appropriations Chair) says he does not support extending it.

Whitmer, however, seems to now think that she doesn't need legislative approval to extend the order. She claims that an older 1945 law gives her the power to do it.
My powers come from a couple different parts of statute, and so I believe that regardless of what the Legislature does, I still retain those powers.
Legal experts say it could end up in court.
If the Legislature decides not to extend the emergency declaration under the 1976 law, Whitmer wouldn’t have to do anything else to extend the stay-home order, said Peter Ruddell, a lawyer at Honigman law firm and a former aide to GOP Senate Majority Leader Dan DeGrow.

“Both laws give the governor incredibly broad powers” to take action under a declaration of disaster or emergency, he said, so Republicans would have little luck arguing in court that she needs their approval.

However, Republicans may be able to argue that she overextended her powers under the emergency declarations by broadening the scope to address the “health, economic, and social harms” of the emergency, Ruddell said. “Such a declaration of emergency could arguably be beyond the police powers of the state.”

Both sides may prefer to negotiate and stick with the 1975 law to protect first responders. But if it goes to court, Ruddell said, “this is untested. We’ve never had a separation of powers issue in this state that has reached litigation of this magnitude.”
https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-gover ... past-may-1
Remember this from earlier:
Public Act 302 of 1945, called the “Emergency Powers of Governor,” authorizes the governor to declare a state of emergency and exercise certain powers for that period. Specifically, the act empowers the governor to control traffic, establish a curfew, regulate and prohibit the use and occupancy of buildings and public places, and control the sale and transportation of alcohol, dangerous liquids or explosives. These orders are only effective during the declared state of emergency, and anyone who violates them is guilty of a misdemeanor.
And:
Public Act 390 of 1976, called the “Emergency Management Act,” is meant for “planning, mitigation, response, and recovery from natural and human-made disaster.” It charges the governor with “coping with dangers to this state or the people of this state presented by a disaster or emergency,” and with issuing orders that have the same effect as law during an emergency situation.

In both cases, the statute says the emergency may only last 28 days. After this, the governor may request an extension, but only for a specified period, and the extension is subject to legislative approval.
If the law is a supplement that implies to me that it was meant to modify and clarify the 1945 law. I’m not clear how she would get around that.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:24 pm
If the law is a supplement that implies to me that it was meant to modify and clarify the 1945 law. I’m not clear how she would get around that.
Except you missed this:
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 390 of 1976
30.417 Construction of act.
Sec. 17.
This act shall not be construed to do any of the following:
(d) Limit, modify, or abridge the authority of the governor to proclaim a state of emergency pursuant to Act No. 302 of the Public Acts of 1945...
And pursuant to the 1945 law:

During times of great public crisis...the governor may promulgate reasonable orders...as he or she considers necessary to protect life...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:24 pm

I don't think it's reasonable:

"...and control the sale and transportation of alcohol, dangerous liquids or explosives."

She might have us on Gas Pumps, but flowers, seeds, building materials, and clothes, I don't think so.
Last edited by audiophile on Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:22 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. It's the right thing to do. I'm sure many of us in retail are terrified being on the front lines and potentially bringing something home to the family. I think its fair and reasonable to keep the extra $2/hr going for the time being. Retail isn't home to the high paying jobs, a lot of us are just above minimum wage. That said, I feel somewhat cheated. I used to make a bit more than minimum wage. But with the increases to the minimum wage my wage didn't go up because I was higher than that...in effect, new hires are nearly making what I do and I've been with the company for many years. I really think they should unionize and join the UFCW.
From an optics standpoint, it would make sense for your employer to offer the additional pay through the end of July to coincide with the CARES Act unemployment bonus of $600/week.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:17 pm

TheForce wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:22 pm
I wholeheartedly agree. It's the right thing to do. I'm sure many of us in retail are terrified being on the front lines and potentially bringing something home to the family. I think its fair and reasonable to keep the extra $2/hr going for the time being. Retail isn't home to the high paying jobs, a lot of us are just above minimum wage. That said, I feel somewhat cheated. I used to make a bit more than minimum wage. But with the increases to the minimum wage my wage didn't go up because I was higher than that...in effect, new hires are nearly making what I do and I've been with the company for many years. I really think they should unionize and join the UFCW.
My mom has been a cashier at Meijer for 25 years. With the $2 pay bump they got for all this going on she’s at $18 an hour or something... that Union is pretty good.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:52 pm

Wow, that is pretty good! I've been with SpartanNash for 13 years. I should be making much more than the the other cashiers. But now we're pretty much on par and I've been there years longer than all the other cashiers. I really don't know why they're not unionized. From what I understand some of the companies distribution hubs are. Go figure... What union is Meijer involved with?
My mom has been a cashier at Meijer for 25 years. With the $2 pay bump they got for all this going on she’s at $18 an hour or something... that Union is pretty good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic