Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan state of emergency!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
fuzzpower

Re: Michigan state of emergency!

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm

Completely agree. What a way to make more people panic when they shouldn’t be.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:13 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm
Completely agree. What a way to make more people panic when they shouldn’t be.
It gets the state federal funding... it’s not meant to scare anybody even if the name is misleading... maybe a declaration of extraordinary circumstances?

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:16 pm

So it’s all about government money... that will likely be squandered because it’s government money.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:39 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:16 pm
So it’s all about government money... that will likely be squandered because it’s government money.
It opens up a broader funding base and they’ll use it for test kits and other supplies...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:25 am

So absolutely nothing should be done, right fuzzpower?

Ask Italy how well that worked. They now have a total clusterfuck on their hands.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:11 pm

This is a serious situation no doubt. Precautions are certainly warranted, and exaggerated as some of them may seem, it's better to be safe than sorry. I have no problem washing my hands (always have) and avoiding overly-crowded venues for the time-being (never cared for crowds anyway).

That being said, the authorities have a balancing act on their hands. People need to be informed, but the last thing they want to do is trigger an over-reaction or panic. So far I haven't seen any empty store shelves (although I hear you'd have a tough time finding a bottle of hand sanitizer right now). I'm also not ready to barricade myself in the basement and duct-tape the windows, and I tend to avoid sources of hype (but enough about the Today Show). We need to be aware that this is a problem that is likely not going away time soon. Going about our lives while taking common-sense precautions is about the best we can do at the moment.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:06 pm

The main question is what is the government’s role in this? Do you want to be barricaded in your house with next to no freedom? Some suggest doing that. I am more in the personal responsibility camp. I still haven’t changed a thing in my life.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:52 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:06 pm
The main question is what is the government’s role in this? Do you want to be barricaded in your house with next to no freedom? Some suggest doing that. I am more in the personal responsibility camp. I still haven’t changed a thing in my life.
So you have no personal responsibility.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:04 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:06 pm
Hey did you see the DIA millage passed by more than a 2/3rds majority ? :lol:

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:04 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:11 pm
This is a serious situation no doubt. Precautions are certainly warranted, and exaggerated as some of them may seem, it's better to be safe than sorry. I have no problem washing my hands (always have) and avoiding overly-crowded venues for the time-being (never cared for crowds anyway).

That being said, the authorities have a balancing act on their hands. People need to be informed, but the last thing they want to do is trigger an over-reaction or panic. So far I haven't seen any empty store shelves (although I hear you'd have a tough time finding a bottle of hand sanitizer right now). I'm also not ready to barricade myself in the basement and duct-tape the windows, and I tend to avoid sources of hype (but enough about the Today Show). We need to be aware that this is a problem that is likely not going away time soon. Going about our lives while taking common-sense precautions is about the best we can do at the moment.
Same here going about my life as is not changing it. I'm not a H*** crowd person either been years since I have been to a sporting event and a concert as well.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:01 am

The governor said the school buildings will be shuttered — public, private and boarding — to students from Monday until April 6.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:31 am

Do you want to be barricaded in your house with next to no freedom?
Carriers of the virus absolutely should be quarantined.

That way, the rest of us can enjoy life as normal without significant threat of being infected. Our economic damage would be minimized and the stock market would rally.

Of course, for the above to be possible, TESTING KITS need to be readily available on a widespread basis. The feds have fucked that up royally due to a combination of FDA red tape, CDC incompetence, and mismanagement by the Trump Administration.

Geez - you act as if being stuck at home for a couple weeks is some insufferable thing that will leave permanent mental scars.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:34 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:31 am
Geez - you act as if being stuck at home for a couple weeks is some insufferable thing that will leave permanent mental scars.
I'm pondering if it would not be a bad idea to just shut absolutely everything down, and we all stay home for 2 weeks.
All Michigan schools are closed until at least April 5th. Every gathering I know of has been cancelled.
(they even cancelled the Cub Scout's Pinewood Derby, this is serious).

Setting aside how much the logistics of such a move would kind of suck, do you feel such a move would help curb the spread of the virus?

To me the thought is "Why go about this half way?". They close schools, they cancel events, but still let everyone still run around to the gas station, the store, the restaurants(with kids in tow).

Your thoughts?

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:04 pm

No. I don’t think the government should be telling me what to do. You could argue leaving your house everyday even in normal situations is a risk.

If you give them this power, what’s next?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:13 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:04 pm
No. I don’t think the government should be telling me what to do. You could argue leaving your house everyday even in normal situations is a risk.

If you give them this power, what’s next?
In 2 weeks life returns to normal.. that’s what’s next.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic