Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

DISGUSTING move by Senators Stabenow and Peters

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

DISGUSTING move by Senators Stabenow and Peters

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:09 pm

Ya know, I was not ruling out the possibility of casting a vote for Gary Peters this coming November. Now, that door has been slammed completely shut.

Detroit News headline:
"Senators 'block' nomination of Trump pick for U.S. attorney in western Mich."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 817028001/

Tom Leonard served admirably in the Michigan State Legislature. He was a strong voice for victims of sexual abuse at Michigan State University. He was a strong advocate for sorely needed auto insurance reform (unfortunately, during his time in the State House, too many members of his own party refused to go along). He received letters of recommendation in favor of his nomination from two very prominent Democrats - Mark Hackel and Mike Duggan.

However, because Senators Stabenow and Peters apparently are more interested in playing petty politics than providing good representation to the residents of Michigan, for no apparent reason, they have refused to move President Trump's nomination of Tom Leonard to the U.S. District Attorney post for Western Michigan.

Stabenow cited "deep policy differences" with Leonard but failed to elaborate.

Leonard was hardly a polarizing figure during his time in Lansing. He was quite pragmatic, in fact.

So guess what, Gary? There is now ZERO chance of me voting for your reelection! Congrats.

Y M Ionhere

Re: DISGUSTING move by Senators Stabenow and Peters

Post by Y M Ionhere » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:25 pm

Should you be surprised?
Everything is partisan nowadays. Especially with Democrats.
They havent worked for the people for awhile. They work for the party, and for party empowerment.
Anytime a Democrat does anything or supports anyone outside of partisan lines, they are done. Gone.
See: Heidi Heitkamp.

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:01 pm

An election year is not the time to appoint any federal judges. Let the people decide. It is what Moscow Mitch would want. Remember Merrick Garland?

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:46 pm

Realist wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:01 pm
An election year is not the time to appoint any federal judges. Let the people decide. It is what Moscow Mitch would want. Remember Merrick Garland?
Trump nominated Leonard BACK IN AUGUST you dolt. Obama didn't even mention Garland until the month of March of that election year.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:49 pm

Thanks for the info MW. You can count me also, as another that won't vote for Gary Peters this November because of this partisanship

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:54 pm

I will also write my email to Senator Peters to express my disgust.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:22 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:46 pm
Realist wrote:
Trump nominated Leonard BACK IN AUGUST you dolt. Obama didn't even mention Garland until the month of March of that election year.
Yeah, one month after Scalia's death. Obviously Antonin should have given Obama a heads-up he was about to croak in order to keep it on the up and up in your mind...

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:36 pm

My only point is that this isn't remotely comparable to Garland. Leonard was nominated a full 15 months before this year's election (compared to 7.5 months for Garland). If 7 can be extended to 15, why not 22? Hell, let's just make it so you can nominate judges only the year immediately following an election. Other 3 years are off limits.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:48 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:36 pm
My only point is that this isn't remotely comparable to Garland. Leonard was nominated a full 15 months before this year's election (compared to 7.5 months for Garland). If 7 can be extended to 15, why not 22? Hell, let's just make it so you can nominate judges only the year immediately following an election. Other 3 years are off limits.
Hell, let's even make it better. If RGB doesn't pass away in the next six weeks Trump nominee gets no hearing until after the election. Deal? Fair is fair...

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:49 am

It’s knee slapping rich that YM Ionhere believes Democrats especially don’t work for the people and are only concerned with party. That’s the exact definition of of just about every republican politician and voter since The 1960’s. McCarthy black listing, Nixon’s Watergate break in and cover up, too many pedophiles like Hastert and Roy Moore to count, Iran/Contra, Trump-hatched Birther Hoax, Kent State, and far too many other republiCAN’T bad excuses for lawmakers and political leaders to count.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:33 am

One thing Trump disciples do well is cry their eyes out over politics. Mitch the turd has been leading his pack of assholes in this game for 10 years and I don't recall any outrage. Karma's a bitch.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:17 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:48 pm
bmw wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:36 pm
Hell, let's even make it better. If RGB doesn't pass away in the next six weeks Trump nominee gets no hearing until after the election. Deal? Fair is fair...
1. Trump is in his first term, so this doesn't apply.
2. Trump's party is in charge of the Senate.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:41 am

Realist wrote:
Except the fact that US Attorneys serve at the pleasure of the president and do not receive a lifetime appointment, your assessment is spot on! :roll:
MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:09 pm
Ya know, I was not ruling out the possibility of casting a vote for Gary Peters this coming November. Now, that door has been slammed completely shut.

So guess what, Gary? There is now ZERO chance of me voting for your reelection! Congrats.
Were you seriously considering this putz over John James?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:16 pm

screen glare wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:49 am
It’s knee slapping rich that YM Ionhere believes Democrats especially don’t work for the people and are only concerned with party. That’s the exact definition of of just about every republican politician and voter since The 1960’s. McCarthy black listing, Nixon’s Watergate break in and cover up, too many pedophiles like Hastert and Roy Moore to count, Iran/Contra, Trump-hatched Birther Hoax, Kent State, and far too many other republiCAN’T bad excuses for lawmakers and political leaders to count.
"especially Democrats" doesnt mean "only Democrats, no one else" in the real world.
It means more so, but not exclusively.

Care to troll some more with blatant misquotes and misrepresantation?

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:31 am

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Blah. Blah. Blah. You slay, A. Gotcha.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic