Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Somewhere, a PTA is missing its "Karen"

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Re: Somewhere, a PTA is missing its "Karen"

Post by Matt » Fri May 01, 2020 5:42 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:14 pm
bmw wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:44 am
This post earns one giant STFU from me.

When you have one lone person deciding the livliehoods of 10 million US citizens (and doing so in a way so as to leave the legislative branch of government out of the process altogether), how is that anything other than a dictatorship?
Think she made that decision all by herself? I'm sorry, but any leader with the data and science we have would make similar decisions. I imagine she is being advised by many experts who are looking at this responsibly. For the record, Whitmer is a very business driven leader, it's why she and Snyder get along. She has been speaking with business leaders, BUT she also makes sure the workers are safe too.

Look at Iowa, how would you like to be a meat packer there? "Go back to work you we will starve you". That feels like the way Lee Chatfield and his henchmen think.
Time to stop being Whitmer's white knight.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:38 pm

Maybe it’s just time to stop the marketing of this thing. The concept that we are going to stop the spread or win the battle or what have you is flawed. Especially when Hope gets routinely squashed.

Yet, that is all anyone says ... as if our actions are going to make this thing go away.

I think even Duggan, a medical guy before becoming a politician, is getting frustrated. Right now, on May 1st, Detroit has never had as many empty hospital beds.

The question has to be how do we best live with this thing instead of stopping it. So far in Michigan, that has not been the focus — and it’s really what the people need to hear.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 01, 2020 6:42 pm

Howard Jones wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:38 pm
Maybe it’s just time to stop the marketing of this thing. The concept that we are going to stop the spread or win the battle or what have you is flawed. Especially when Hope gets routinely squashed.

Yet, that is all anyone says ... as if our actions are going to make this thing go away.

I think even Duggan, a medical guy before becoming a politician, is getting frustrated. Right now, on May 1st, Detroit has never had as many empty hospital beds.

The question has to be how do we best live with this thing instead of stopping it. So far in Michigan, that has not been the focus — and it’s really what the people need to hear.
They need to start planning for the fall both in preparing hospitals and in keeping things open... Shutting down again cannot happen. I fear nobody is doing that yet.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Fri May 01, 2020 7:27 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:42 pm
They need to start planning for the fall both in preparing hospitals and in keeping things open... Shutting down again cannot happen. I fear nobody is doing that yet.
Amen!!! Getting caught with our collective pants down again can't happen with everything we've learned first-hand these past 2 months - plus all that we'll keep learning this Spring and Summer.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 01, 2020 9:43 pm

Folks you're going to have to face the reality that we are going through it even bigger curve at some point in the future. Rural areas are bracing for it in the summer, most colleges will not have classes next fall because they expected to hit about October.

If you look at science and you look at history it's not one and done. the only way to manage the second curve is to do some of the same things we're doing right now. People becoming too confident with covid-19 will ignore the stay in place type orders.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 02, 2020 7:18 am

I support removing Whitmer from office but I don't sign petitions.
Why don't you sign petitions? You actually trust the c*cksucking politicians to do their jobs effectively?

I 100% believe an emergency still exists, albeit in not as severe of fashion as 4 to 6 weeks ago. That said, I also believe certain aspects of Whitmer's recent orders have contained unnecessary overreach. Many more businesses should be allowed to operate than is currently the case

The legislative Republicans are talking a tough game, but when you read the actual provisions of the emergency power limitations act they recently passed (and that Whitmer will veto, if she hasn't done so already), the changes would not have taken effect until APRIL 2021!
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat May 02, 2020 7:41 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:43 pm
Folks you're going to have to face the reality that we are going through it even bigger curve at some point in the future. Rural areas are bracing for it in the summer, most colleges will not have classes next fall because they expected to hit about October.

If you look at science and you look at history it's not one and done. the only way to manage the second curve is to do some of the same things we're doing right now. People becoming too confident with covid-19 will ignore the stay in place type orders.
You really have to stop basing all of your statements on your religion of science, especially when math and logic are soundly kicking your version of sciences' proverbial ass. As far as colleges not having classes next fall, that is an outright lie. Some may resort to remote learning only, but Harvard University and the University of Michigan are both publicly saying that they expect to have on campus fall semesters.

The University of Michigan is particularly noteworthy, because U-M is providing a material amount of the data to the governor's office regarding covid. While U-M President Mark Schlissel has been guarded in his public comments and deferred to the governor, his recent comments have suggested that based on the data he has seen, fall can happen.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/all-abou ... reopening/
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat May 02, 2020 7:42 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:18 am
I support removing Whitmer from office but I don't sign petitions.
Why don't you sign petitions? You actually trust the c*cksucking politicians to do their jobs effectively?

I 100% believe an emergency still exists, albeit in not as severe of fashion as 4 to 6 weeks ago. That said, I also believe certain aspects of Whitmer's recent orders have contained unnecessary overreach. Many more businesses should be allowed to operate than is currently the case

The legislative Republicans are talking a tough game, but when you read the actual provisions of the emergency power limitations act they recently passed (and that Whitmer will veto, if she hasn't done so already), the changes would not have taken effect until APRIL 2021!
Did you see the bill, or are you taking Karen's word? Presumably, if this existed it would have been fleshed out in the reconciliation process.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat May 02, 2020 8:07 am

Matt wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:41 am
TC Talks wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:43 pm

You really have to stop basing all of your statements on your religion of science, especially when math and logic are soundly kicking your version of sciences' proverbial ass. As far as colleges not having classes next fall, that is an outright lie. Some may resort to remote learning only, but Harvard University and the University of Michigan are both publicly saying that they expect to have on campus fall semesters.

The University of Michigan is particularly noteworthy, because U-M is providing a material amount of the data to the governor's office regarding covid. While U-M President Mark Schlissel has been guarded in his public comments and deferred to the governor, his recent comments have suggested that based on the data he has seen, fall can happen.
So I predicted that the curve would be done by June 1st (about March 25) and we are ending stay-in-place May 28th. That prediction was based on data.

I just read that statement from the UofM President and nowhere did he say that students will return in the fall. Feeling optimistic does not mean very much when it comes to things like this.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat May 02, 2020 8:16 am

Shelter in place has potentially ended (MI Supreme Court to decide) or it ends on 5/15. State of emergency and shelter in place have different end dates.

From Schlissel's most recent message:
I remain cautiously optimistic that we will be able to deliver a public health-informed fall semester on our three campuses, with as much in-person instruction as possible. Until we have more information, we won’t know how this will look. I will share any decisions we make as soon as I can.

Planning efforts are already underway. The Office of the Provost is launching a coordinated set of committees including faculty and staff across campus to focus on Ann Arbor’s fall semester academic planning, including classes.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 02, 2020 10:32 am

Matt wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:16 am
Shelter in place has potentially ended (MI Supreme Court to decide) or it ends on 5/15. State of emergency and shelter in place have different end dates.

I remain cautiously optimistic that we will be able to deliver a public health-informed fall semester on our three campuses, with as much in-person instruction as possible. Until we have more information, we won’t know how this will look. I will share any decisions we make as soon as I can.

Planning efforts are already underway. The Office of the Provost is launching a coordinated set of committees including faculty and staff across campus to focus on Ann Arbor’s fall semester academic planning, including classes.
We also aren’t sure how many students are going to come back vs. try to do remote learning. Everything is up in the air at the U and nobody knows where this is headed. God forbid we play 8 football games starting in October with no fans.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat May 02, 2020 11:50 am

Rate This wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:32 am
Matt wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:16 am

We also aren’t sure how many students are going to come back vs. try to do remote learning. Everything is up in the air at the U and nobody knows where this is headed. God forbid we play 8 football games starting in October with no fans.
Michigan isn't going to have trouble getting students to Ann Arbor. All non-freshman have had leases signed as of late last year, and those are not easy to get out of.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic