Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Somewhere, a PTA is missing its "Karen"

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 13307

Re: Somewhere, a PTA is missing its "Karen"

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Fri May 01, 2020 7:53 am

The coming flood of bankruptcy filings / announcements by small businesses that they are done forever is going to do a number on those polls. They will probably flip should this standoff continue for 4 more weeks. The opposition level is going to flip from a whisper to an angry roar.

As the weather improves, the shorter everyone's patience is going to get and the more doubt there will be that these draconian executive orders are something that really need to be followed. Especially if people see other states open with no surge in deaths.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 01, 2020 7:56 am

audiophile wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:38 am
Rate This wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:20 am
Matt wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:02 am
This isn't 3D chess. She's intentionally creating civil unrest. What would your reaction be if Trump took any action that resembled what Whitmer has done? You guys wanted to remove a guy for allegedly using American foreign aid as a carrot to investigate an opponent. Whitmer is dictating by decree and ignoring the constitutional requirements of her position.
The other problem is that her approval on the handling of the crisis is 63%... removing her is gonna be a steep climb uphill... 37% isn’t even close to cutting it... so as long as the “civil unrest” is with a small number of that 37% you won’t see much attention paid to it. You’ll have to win that lawsuit. But for them to not cross T’s and dot I’s and make that kind of mistake just getting the petition going... that casts some doubt on whether these folks know what they are doing. 3D chess.. you have to think several steps ahead. Clearly they are thinking 1 step at a time and the trouble is that they aren’t thinking all that hard about the step they are on. These folks moved a pawn and had it immediately captured.
You realize this was a "mistake" between two government agencies?
Yes... and the folks who made said mistake don’t exactly sound happy about losing the 3-D chess game. If this guy is handing off the job of serving notice to people in other departments he needs to be canned immediately. That’s a violation of the law. Period. Full stop.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 01, 2020 7:59 am

I predicted June 1st back in March. That prediction was based on science and the curve that the state would likely go through. Now here we are sheltering until the end of May. I don't know what you people are all excited about but it seems to me things are following the path that was predicted.

I think you're being overdramatic about all these businesses needing to file for bankruptcy. Let's wait and see. Any restaurant is basically sitting dormant, I don't see many businesses accumulating H*** expenses while this is on hold. Most of my clients I have no plans of opening until at least August 1st because the marketplace will still be skittish not because any government is telling them to stay closed. The reality is if you opened tomorrow you would have a full staff and you would have 10% of your customers. The labor costs would eat you alive. It amazes me people don't trust surveys when they don't go their way but trust surveys when the results are agreeable.

I am working with the restaurant economy at the national level and the financial people who analyzed that economy are telling me that the restaurants that will fail I've had problems for a long time. So yes, some businesses will go out but there was no expectation but these businesses wouldn't have done it by the end of the year.
Last edited by TC Talks on Fri May 01, 2020 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 am

Howard Jones wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:53 am
The coming flood of bankruptcy filings / announcements by small businesses that they are done forever is going to do a number on those polls. They will probably flip should this standoff continue for 4 more weeks. The opposition level is going to flip from a whisper to an angry roar.

As the weather improves, the shorter everyone's patience is going to get and the more doubt there will be that these draconian executive orders are something that really need to be followed. Especially if people see other states open with no surge in deaths.
The trouble with that is that those states that are opening are starting to threaten to cut off unemployment benefits if people don’t return to work. Many of them are refusing to do so... so it isn’t as simple as you make it sound. I imagine any lawsuit filed By the legislature will be expedited due to the nature of the situation.
Last edited by Rate This on Fri May 01, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 am

Your chess analogy has failed. This wasn't a failure of the people who want the tyrant recalled. It was a government bureaucracy failure.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 01, 2020 8:04 am

Matt wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 am
Your chess analogy has failed. This wasn't a failure of the people who want the tyrant recalled. It was a government bureaucracy failure.
The people who want the tyrant recalled are in the minority. Until we see evidence otherwise. But you’d be hard pressed to recall the governor if 63% of the people approve of her handling of the crisis... you just aren’t going to get that level of disconnect between “yeah generally she’s doing good” and “GET RID OF THE BITCH!!!!”..

Are we doing a recall election or is the legislature voting on recalling her?

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri May 01, 2020 8:11 am

A recall is very unlikely due to the high threshold required to get it before the voters.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 01, 2020 8:16 am

Matt wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:11 am
A recall is very unlikely due to the high threshold required to get it before the voters.
That’s a tacit admission that there isn’t the support needed then. What’s that threshold anyways?

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri May 01, 2020 8:31 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:16 am
Matt wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:11 am
That’s a tacit admission that there isn’t the support needed then. What’s that threshold anyways?
You need valid signatures equal to 25% of the electorate in the last election. That's a H*** mountain to climb to get the question on the ballot. I support removing Whitmer from office but I don't sign petitions. I'm not saying there's not support to recall her, I'm just saying there is too much work to accomplish even getting the question before the voters.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:36 am

Matt wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:31 am
I'm not saying there's not support to recall her, I'm just saying there is too much work to accomplish even getting the question before the voters.
Especially with all the restrictions on govt operations and social distancing requirements. A recall in this environment is not happening.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/ ... 2762_7.pdf

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 01, 2020 8:39 am

Howard Jones wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:36 am
Matt wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:31 am
I'm not saying there's not support to recall her, I'm just saying there is too much work to accomplish even getting the question before the voters.
Especially with all the restrictions on govt operations and social distancing requirements. A recall in this environment is not happening.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/ ... 2762_7.pdf
Then the lawsuit is the only hope for those disaffected... otherwise suck it up like the rest of us.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:48 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:39 am
Then the lawsuit is the only hope for those disaffected... otherwise suck it up like the rest of us.
If only. Widespread civil disobedience is the other option.

I am in favor of responsible, peaceful civil disobedience that doesn't put people needlessly in harm's way. Unfortunately the pot-stirrers, like the people "protesting" in Lansing yesterday, don't understand the difference between doing something responsibly and making complete fools of themselves and doing more harm than good.
Last edited by Deleted User 13307 on Fri May 01, 2020 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri May 01, 2020 8:49 am

It's interesting to read all the comments on unemployment being held up for non-monetary reasons. Even voters for Whitmer are angry.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:55 am

And to be clear, my thoughts about civil disobedience are entirely about people deciding en mass to just ignore the executive orders making enforcement impossible.

I am not in favor of confrontations like we saw yesterday at and in the Capitol. No one needs that kind of powder keg.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri May 01, 2020 9:00 am

Howard Jones wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:55 am
And to be clear, my thoughts about civil disobedience are entirely about people deciding en mass to just ignore the executive orders making enforcement impossible.

I am not in favor of confrontations like we saw yesterday at and in the Capitol. No one needs that kind of powder keg.
Agreed. We're no longer legitimately under an umbrella where the governor's decrees are enforceable. I don't think what happened yesterday was necessary but as long as Whitmer continues to antagonize, tensions will escalate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic