Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Somewhere, a PTA is missing its "Karen"

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Re: Somewhere, a PTA is missing its "Karen"

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:51 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:21 pm
She's trying damn hard to make herself a one-termer.
Is she trying to scream "RECALL ME!!!"

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 062468001/

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:32 pm

Another month?!? Wow...

Here's the full order - which includes a lot more places of business than mentioned in the News. No haircuts for you!!

https://content.govdelivery.com/attachm ... -issue.pdf

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:43 pm

If allowed to stand, EO 2020-69 will singlehandedly wipe out countless small business owners in our state forever. I really feel bad for those in the rural parts of our state that aren't served by the big chains and will lose their favorite local watering holes, restaurants, barber shops, and hair salons forever.

I understand being careful. But unilaterally implementing this statewide for 4 more weeks is a death sentence for our state's businesses.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 01, 2020 12:17 am

For Whitmer, this is very clearly no longer about "saving lives." It has turned PURELY political. The Republicans in the state legislature dared to try to restrict her power, and so she's giving them the middle finger right back, destroying the great state of Michigan in the process.

What we have now is a feud between Whitmer and the legislature, and the residents of Michigan are caught in the crossfire.

Her behavior of late is disgraceful.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 01, 2020 1:18 am

Howard Jones wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:43 pm
If allowed to stand, EO 2020-69 will singlehandedly wipe out countless small business owners in our state forever. I really feel bad for those in the rural parts of our state that aren't served by the big chains and will lose their favorite local watering holes, restaurants, barber shops, and hair salons forever.

I understand being careful. But unilaterally implementing this statewide for 4 more weeks is a death sentence for our state's businesses.
She's very clearly not consulting with any economic advisors.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri May 01, 2020 5:02 am

I have to wonder if she has any connections to medical insurers or the medical lobby. In shutting down "non-essential" she is saving costs for major insurers. Covid costs are being reimbursed by Feds.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 01, 2020 5:18 am

bmw wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:17 am
For Whitmer, this is very clearly no longer about "saving lives." It has turned PURELY political. The Republicans in the state legislature dared to try to restrict her power, and so she's giving them the middle finger right back, destroying the great state of Michigan in the process.

What we have now is a feud between Whitmer and the legislature, and the residents of Michigan are caught in the crossfire.

Her behavior of late is disgraceful.
I’m going to have to reluctantly agree... at this juncture a move like this is non-sensical. I do suppose this sort of feud between the two branches has been building for some time beneath the surface. On the bright side we will see if these orders and laws are constitutional which will be of benefit going forward in the event of another crisis.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri May 01, 2020 6:28 am

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... roper.html
Michigan Election Law requires the board of state canvassers to notify an officer who is being petitioned for recall at least three days prior to a hearing. But the notification didn’t come from Johnathan Brater, director of elections and secretary to the Board of State Canvassers. It was sent instead by Melissa Malerman, of the Secretary of State’s Bureau of Elections, whom Brater asked to make the notification.

The board acknowledged that Brater has often asked staff to make such notifications on his behalf. But the governor’s counsel said it was an improper notification that would make Thursday’s hearing “procedurally defective."

Aaron Van Langevelde, vice-chair of the Board of State Canvassers, called the claim “a disingenuous argument by the governor’s counsel." The board considered a change to the rule, but decided to table it for future discussion.
How can anyone defend this behavior? "I follow rules and laws that benefit me, and I disregard rules and laws that I don't like."
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 01, 2020 6:52 am

Matt wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:28 am
https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... roper.html
Michigan Election Law requires the board of state canvassers to notify an officer who is being petitioned for recall at least three days prior to a hearing. But the notification didn’t come from Johnathan Brater, director of elections and secretary to the Board of State Canvassers. It was sent instead by Melissa Malerman, of the Secretary of State’s Bureau of Elections, whom Brater asked to make the notification.

The board acknowledged that Brater has often asked staff to make such notifications on his behalf. But the governor’s counsel said it was an improper notification that would make Thursday’s hearing “procedurally defective."

Aaron Van Langevelde, vice-chair of the Board of State Canvassers, called the claim “a disingenuous argument by the governor’s counsel." The board considered a change to the rule, but decided to table it for future discussion.
How can anyone defend this behavior? "I follow rules and laws that benefit me, and I disregard rules and laws that I don't like."
She doesn’t want to deal with it and exploited a mistake by those trying to do this. This is 3D chess, you game to play?

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri May 01, 2020 7:02 am

This isn't 3D chess. She's intentionally creating civil unrest. What would your reaction be if Trump took any action that resembled what Whitmer has done? You guys wanted to remove a guy for allegedly using American foreign aid as a carrot to investigate an opponent. Whitmer is dictating by decree and ignoring the constitutional requirements of her position.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri May 01, 2020 7:10 am

This is what you get when lawyers are elected to public office. Their whole existence is a subterfuge.

We had a krappy choice between two attorneys. Bill was more honest than Gretchen though.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 01, 2020 7:20 am

Matt wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:02 am
This isn't 3D chess. She's intentionally creating civil unrest. What would your reaction be if Trump took any action that resembled what Whitmer has done? You guys wanted to remove a guy for allegedly using American foreign aid as a carrot to investigate an opponent. Whitmer is dictating by decree and ignoring the constitutional requirements of her position.
The other problem is that her approval on the handling of the crisis is 63%... removing her is gonna be a steep climb uphill... 37% isn’t even close to cutting it... so as long as the “civil unrest” is with a small number of that 37% you won’t see much attention paid to it. You’ll have to win that lawsuit. But for them to not cross T’s and dot I’s and make that kind of mistake just getting the petition going... that casts some doubt on whether these folks know what they are doing. 3D chess.. you have to think several steps ahead. Clearly they are thinking 1 step at a time and the trouble is that they aren’t thinking all that hard about the step they are on. These folks moved a pawn and had it immediately captured.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri May 01, 2020 7:37 am

The polls are bs.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri May 01, 2020 7:38 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:20 am
Matt wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:02 am
The other problem is that her approval on the handling of the crisis is 63%... removing her is gonna be a steep climb uphill... 37% isn’t even close to cutting it... so as long as the “civil unrest” is with a small number of that 37% you won’t see much attention paid to it. You’ll have to win that lawsuit. But for them to not cross T’s and dot I’s and make that kind of mistake just getting the petition going... that casts some doubt on whether these folks know what they are doing. 3D chess.. you have to think several steps ahead. Clearly they are thinking 1 step at a time and the trouble is that they aren’t thinking all that hard about the step they are on. These folks moved a pawn and had it immediately captured.
You realize this was a "mistake" between two government agencies?

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri May 01, 2020 7:50 am

The poll question was do you generally approve of how Karen Whitmer is handling the COVID-19 crisis? If the question was more targeted, you'd see underwater approval.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic