Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer Misses The Mark

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Whitmer Misses The Mark

Post by Rate This » Tue May 05, 2020 10:18 am

bmw wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Can we at least all be intellectually honest here and admit that the ONLY reason Democrats want vote-by-mail is because they think it will increase Democrat turnout? I don't believe for one second that they would support it if it meant more Republican votes.
The Democratic Party is the larger party... part of why giving a ballot to everybody would increase turnout. Republicans turn out at the polls in stronger numbers than do democrats. That being said they are trying to maintain the integrity of the elections. What you would have otherwise is a mess if a bunch of scared people stay home on Election Day. Besides it works in several states now so it shouldn’t be hard to scale it up.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue May 05, 2020 11:28 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:14 am
This is awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6d7BfL_QP8
No, its terrible. Imagine thinking this is good. I can't...
Rate This wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:18 am
bmw wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Can we at least all be intellectually honest here and admit that the ONLY reason Democrats want vote-by-mail is because they think it will increase Democrat turnout? I don't believe for one second that they would support it if it meant more Republican votes.
The Democratic Party is the larger party... part of why giving a ballot to everybody would increase turnout. Republicans turn out at the polls in stronger numbers than do democrats. That being said they are trying to maintain the integrity of the elections. What you would have otherwise is a mess if a bunch of scared people stay home on Election Day. Besides it works in several states now so it shouldn’t be hard to scale it up.
No, its not. There is simply no evidence that I've ever seen that indicates your party is larger. Maybe there are more people that actively identify as Democrats, but a lot of us aren't stuck in the party binary, you know, like you guys aren't stuck in the gender binary.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue May 05, 2020 12:20 pm

If there aren’t more Democrats then what’s the harm in mail-in voting? You’ll still win and be just fine.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue May 05, 2020 12:32 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:20 pm
If there aren’t more Democrats then what’s the harm in mail-in voting? You’ll still win and be just fine.
The opportunity for fraud.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue May 05, 2020 12:47 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:32 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:20 pm
The opportunity for fraud.
We’ve used absentee ballots for years... largely benefitting Republicans and any fraud would tend to go with it to that side. Cry me a River. There are several mechanisms that have been put in place to catch it before it gets counted.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue May 05, 2020 1:51 pm

Absentee ballots are actively requested. If you can't see the difference in an active request vs. putting everyone on blast, I'm unable to help you.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue May 05, 2020 2:09 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:51 pm
Absentee ballots are actively requested. If you can't see the difference in an active request vs. putting everyone on blast, I'm unable to help you.
They are actively requested but mailing every registered voter one is just an expansion of that. It’s an all absentee election. There’s nothing to fear in that except that your side won’t benefit. And it’s not from fraud... just numbers generally. You guys would be forced to compete and come up with new ideas that are generally palatable to the population in 2020 not 1980.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 05, 2020 3:32 pm

Before you speculate, try learning...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/us/p ... -mail.html
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue May 05, 2020 8:55 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:32 pm
Before you speculate, try learning...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/us/p ... -mail.html
Exactly what I was thinking. Colorado and Utah too.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 07, 2020 3:45 pm

And.....another 2 weeks for stay-at-home. Honestly, is ANYBODY surprised by this? I'm not. And I'll be surprised if it doesn't get extended again - that is, if the Court doesn't put a stop to it first.

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/Whit ... qz2aNfUKxw

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 07, 2020 3:47 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:45 pm
And.....another 2 weeks for stay-at-home. Honestly, is ANYBODY surprised by this? I'm not. And I'll be surprised if it doesn't get extended again - that is, if the Court doesn't put a stop to it first.

Manufacturing is gonna be starting up on the 11th though... I guess I’m going for the Beatle look hair wise now... it’s possible the court puts a stop to it but I rather doubt it. They have now come out with a 6-step plan to reopen the economy as well.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 07, 2020 4:45 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:45 pm

I wouldn't count on help from the judge: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 176710002/

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:09 pm

Seems like there was an opportunity to find some middle ground here in light of the continued decline in people that need to be hospitalized for this in Michigan and the documented decline in the percentage of tests that come back as positive. The science and data is being ignored by Whitmer more and more each day which, I believe, will cause more and more people to ignore these orders. Am I alone in thinking that this divide between the numbers and these orders is just as dangerous, or moreso, than finding ways to relax things, if only slightly, to maintain the kind of support that makes them effective in the first place?

Starting Monday, Joe six pack will legally be able to go to work and hang out with his work buds (who really thinks that social distancing is going to be adhered to in the shops on Monday; if you think so, I've got some gator infested swamp land to sell you in Florida) but it'll still be technically illegal to go to his parents house and see them in their driveway until May 28th.

From my social media feeds, even the most frightened / strict rule followers are pretty much done with the inconsistency between being allowed to interact with humans that they don't know in public but not with their family members in private. I'm not talking about reopening restaurants or bars or schools - just giving people permission to see their family members that are not in the high risk categories.

Seems like a better tactic would have been a rephrasing. Instead of orders from the mountaintop, appeal to to the fact that we've all been living this for just about two months now, recognize the fatigue, and offer hope and guidelines instead of the threat of the wrath of Whitmer.

Sad that this is what we've become.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 07, 2020 8:12 pm

Not only that Howard, but how do you justify a plant with thousands of people allowed to operate, but not a restaurant with 70 seats?
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:16 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:12 pm
Not only that Howard, but how do you justify a plant with thousands of people allowed to operate, but not a restaurant with 70 seats?
I cannot. Seems that this is more about where the money is versus where the science is.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic