Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Oh Shit! May 15th!? Gov. Whitmer to extend “Stay Home – Stay Safe” into May

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: Oh Shit! May 15th!? Gov. Whitmer to extend “Stay Home – Stay Safe” into May

Post by audiophile » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:42 am

Polling is way wrong. They only poll people who have nothing better to do.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:44 am

I do think Whitmer is vying for that VP spot of sorts. She just loves all the attention from state and national media, good or bad.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:02 am

The irony is, her VP stock has been slowly falling. She has fallen all the way into 6th place in PredictIt at a mere 8 percent chance of getting the nod.

kager

Post by kager » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:11 am

Gilchrist is but a marketing dweeb. Nevertheless, the ditz gash gotta go now...
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:15 am

audiophile wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:42 am
Polling is way wrong. They only poll people who have nothing better to do.
Well actually responses are way way up... so they are likely getting an even better sample than usual. They don’t ever get it wrong by 30 or 40% either. It’s a small but vocal minority and that’s it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:31 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:15 am
They don’t ever get it wrong by 30 or 40% either.
Not true. Hillary led by close to 30 points in Michigan all major polls in the 2016 Democratic primaries, but Bernie ultimately won the state.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:35 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:31 am
Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:15 am
They don’t ever get it wrong by 30 or 40% either.
Not true. Hillary led by close to 30 points in Michigan all major polls in the 2016 Democratic primaries, but Bernie ultimately won the state.
Well usually not anyways. Bernie is a little unique kind of like Trump... his base is so loyal that they ALL came out and apparently her support was softer by quite a bit. However generally polls don’t consistently miss by that much.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:43 am

My problem with relying on these "support/oppose" polls is that the way they're worded is too vague. Here is the language from the latest poll:

"Do you approve or disapprove of the job Governor Gretchen Whitmer is doing handling the Covid-19 crisis?"

How about a question like "Do you feel that any of the restrictions in Governor Gretchen Whitmer's shelter-in-place executive order..." (and then something like) "infringe on your civil liberties?" or "go too far?"

If you look at the breakdown, her approval rating on handling the current pandemic is 89% among Democrats, 22% among Republicans, and 56% among independents. I suspect there is a sizable group of people among Republicans and Independents who OVERALL approve of her handling of the crisis but also still believe that some things in the EO go too far.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:56 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:43 am
My problem with relying on these "support/oppose" polls is that the way they're worded is too vague. Here is the language from the latest poll:

"Do you approve or disapprove of the job Governor Gretchen Whitmer is doing handling the Covid-19 crisis?"

How about a question like "Do you feel that any of the restrictions in Governor Gretchen Whitmer's shelter-in-place executive order..." (and then something like) "infringe on your civil liberties?" or "go too far?"

If you look at the breakdown, her approval rating on handling the current pandemic is 89% among Democrats, 22% among Republicans, and 56% among independents. I suspect there is a sizable group of people among Republicans and Independents who OVERALL approve of her handling of the crisis but also still believe that some things in the EO go too far.
But are they at the level of the protesters who want to recall her among other things? I doubt it. The AP found similar results on a national level as well.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:22 am

Rate This: Polls only matter if Republicans are winning... Didn't you know?

Today (April 24) There should be an announcement of the easing of some low risk restrictions and that everyone should be wearing masks in public.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... tions.html
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:27 am

The good thing: She didn't extend it through Memorial Day (yet), like what Wisconsin and Illinois have done (Wisconsin's ends May 26 while Illinois' ends May 30). If she were to go much longer than May 15, there will be money leaving the state (assuming IN and OH have fewer restrictions by then, people near those lines will cross them for services even more than they already do).

I saw that Cuomo talked about lifting certain restrictions by regions of his state after May 15. Could Whitmer do that? If she did, would some complain that it would be unfair?

If I had a regional plan, here is how they would be divided.
Region 1: The Upper Peninsula
Region 2: Northern Lower Michigan (Alcona, Alpena, Antrim, Arenac, Benzie, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Clare, Crawford, Emmet, Gladwin, Grand Traverse, Iosco, Isabella, Kalkaska, Lake, Leelanau, Manistee, Mason, Mecosta, Missaukee, Montmorency, Newaygo, Oceana, Ogemaw, Osceola, Oscoda, Otsego, Presque Isle, Roscommon, and Wexford counties)
Region 3: Southwest Michigan (Allegan, Barry, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Ionia, Kalamazoo, Kent, Montcalm, Muskegon, Ottawa, St. Joseph, and Van Buren counties)
Region 4: Mid-Michigan (Clinton, Eaton, Gratiot, Hillsdale, Ingham, Jackson, Lenawee, and Shiawassee counties)
Region 5: Tri-Cities/Thumb (Bay, Huron, Lapeer, Midland, Saginaw, Sanilac, St. Clair, and Tuscola counties)
Region 6: Southeast Michigan (Genesee, Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, Washtenaw, and Wayne counties) [Monroe County would be in region 4 if it didn't border both Washtenaw and Wayne counties]

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:15 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:22 am
Rate This: Polls only matter if Republicans are winning... Didn't you know?

Today (April 24) There should be an announcement of the easing of some low risk restrictions and that everyone should be wearing masks in public.

No they only matter when interpreted correctly as bmw articulated. You are clearly incapable of being intellectually honest.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:19 am

Seems like the governor is getting the message after republican legislators refused to extend and citizens started protesting.

What she is doing is what I would have done on March 13!

I WAS THE ONLY ON HERE PUSHING MASKS FOR ALL INDOORS! RT even doubted me :-(
Last edited by audiophile on Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:20 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:15 am
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:22 am
Rate This: Polls only matter if Republicans are winning... Didn't you know?Today (April 24) There should be an announcement of the easing of some low risk restrictions and that everyone should be wearing masks in public.
No they only matter when interpreted correctly as bmw articulated. You are clearly incapable of being intellectually honest.
Wait, you supported Trump and Schuette right? Are you in a position to judge intellectually honest? Are you in a position to judge anything? I don't think so.
What she is doing is what I would have done on March 13!
You are only looking at outstate and pre-apex. The Governor must take the behavior of those people in Metro Detroit. Clearly, we have flattened the curve, so her actions have worked successfully.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:42 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:20 am
The Governor must take the behavior of those people in Metro Detroit.
Your blatant hatred for people from downstate that "invade your territory" is now morphing itself into what could be considered by some as either racism, classism, or elitism. Not sure which, but it reveals a lot about you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic