Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer to extend stay-home order; state furloughs workers

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Whitmer to extend stay-home order; state furloughs workers

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:06 pm

TheForce wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:52 pm
Wow, that is pretty good! I've been with SpartanNash for 13 years. I should be making much more than the the other cashiers. But now we're pretty much on par and I've been there years longer than all the other cashiers. I really don't know why they're not unionized. From what I understand some of the companies distribution hubs are. Go figure... What union is Meijer involved with?
My mom has been a cashier at Meijer for 25 years. With the $2 pay bump they got for all this going on she’s at $18 an hour or something... that Union is pretty good.
UFCW 951. I know it’s on par with what I’m making as a bus driver per hour. Not to shabby. The local that Kroger is with (876 I think) worked with the company to get shields and masks and other distancing measures for the company and they are enforcing them. Are you guys an independent affiliate of SpartanNash or a company store?

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:33 pm

The store chain I'm at is definitely a company store. I feel there have been a lot of unjust practices tbh.
UFCW 951. I know it’s on par with what I’m making as a bus driver per hour. Not to shabby. The local that Kroger is with (876 I think) worked with the company to get shields and masks and other distancing measures for the company and they are enforcing them. Are you guys an independent affiliate of SpartanNash or a company store?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:43 pm

TheForce wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:33 pm
The store chain I'm at is definitely a company store. I feel there have been a lot of unjust practices tbh.
From your descriptions I would tend to agree... I’m surprised you guys haven’t unionized by now. Most grocery stores seem to be Union for that exact reason.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:29 pm

I don't really know who at the company decides if were to be in a union or not. I have heard in the past they were anti-union. Here are some issues:

1. Pay, I've touched on this earlier in this thread.

2. They make changes to your job classification to suit the company, not the worker.

3. There are NO full time cashiers, I do pretty well but that's besides the point. Unless your a member of management, you are out of luck.

4. The raises you get are yearly and quite honestly a slap in the face at 2%. Not only have I been there for years, I also do a wide variety of other duties.

5. You can't cash out your vacation pay. Use it or lose it.

6. Sick pay and personal days ( I don't get)... if you don't use them, they will only give you half of the amount you accrued at the end of the year.

7. If you are part time and average 30 hrs or more, you get holiday pay. If you average under 30 hrs you don't. Which is BS. This is one of the recent changes I eluded to earlier. I always got holiday pay since the beginning, now I don't.

8. They will make you work in areas outside of your job classification. Not always a bad thing, but can be bothersome at times.

9. You will always have your phone ringing off the hook if somebody calls in. I get it, but everyone I'm sure has lives outside of the work place.

10. They make schedule changes without informing you. Been late a few times because of this.

11. They favor some employees over others with better schedules. Seniority doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

12. They don't have enough staff scheduled and expectations of you can be unrealistic at times.

13. I could go on but these are the grievances I see daily.

All that said, I think being part of the UFCW would fix a lot of this crap.
From your descriptions I would tend to agree... I’m surprised you guys haven’t unionized by now. Most grocery stores seem to be Union for that exact reason.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:58 pm

TheForce wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:29 pm
I don't really know who at the company decides if were to be in a union or not. I have heard in the past they were anti-union. Here are some issues:

2. They make changes to your job classification to suit the company, not the worker.

3. There are NO full time cashiers, I do pretty well but that's besides the point. Unless your a member of management, you are out of luck.

4. The raises you get are yearly and quite honestly a slap in the face at 2%. Not only have I been there for years, I also do a wide variety of other duties.

6. Sick pay and personal days ( I don't get)... if you don't use them, they will only give you half of the amount you accrued at the end of the year.

7. If you are part time and average 30 hrs or more, you get holiday pay. If you average under 30 hrs you don't. Which is BS. This is one of the recent changes I eluded to earlier. I always got holiday pay since the beginning, now I don't.

8. They will make you work in areas outside of your job classification. Not always a bad thing, but can be bothersome at times.

9. You will always have your phone ringing off the hook if somebody calls in. I get it, but everyone I'm sure has lives outside of the work place.

10. They make schedule changes without informing you. Been late a few times because of this.

11. They favor some employees over others with better schedules. Seniority doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

12. They don't have enough staff scheduled and expectations of you can be unrealistic at times.

Yes it would.. however to form a union it is the employees who organize together, select a union, get cards signed by enough employees to hold an election and if successful elect officers to represent them and bargain for a contract. Nobody at the company will ever talk about or give you one. It’s an employee driven thing. Management doesn’t like it but it would fix many of the things on your list if it was bargained right.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:12 pm

TheForce wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:29 pm

I know this will sound flippant, but that isn't my intent. I've read a fair amount of your posts and your unhappiness with your current employer. Until this Covid-19 thing hit, EVERYONE was looking for new employee's. Did you ever think about getting a different job? One you would be happy with?

Life is just too short to work at a job you are unhappy with. There are countless opportunities out there. Dare to dream my friend.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic