Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

DHHS announces gun control

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

DHHS announces gun control

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:17 pm

It's embarrassing that Gun Owners need their safety equipment subsidized, but what a great idea.
The Michigan State Police and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services announced that 75,000 gun locks will be distributed, free of charge, at state government service offices.

The effort is “to help support compliance with the new secure storage law that went into effect in February,” according to DHHS Director Elizabeth Hertel.

The gun locks were purchased through a $500,000 state budget appropriation.

“The gun locks will help to save lives across the state,” Hertel said, noting that the gun locks will be available at local DHHS offices. “Every child deserves safety.”

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Re: DHHS announces gun control

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:25 pm

Isn't that against their rights?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:05 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:25 pm
Isn't that against their rights?
The second amendment doesn't protect the right to store your gun unsafely.

Hopefully this will allow police to confiscate guns that are found unlocked.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:11 pm

These locks have been available for years. They're cheap locks. See 'em often being sold at yard sales. They make a great gate or cabinet lock. Like your article says, a way for our government to spend money on something that's not going to be used for it's intended purpose quite frankly.

Sportsmen use better quality trigger locks and cases and safes they buy out of their own pocket.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:17 pm

Round Six wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:11 pm
These locks have been available for years. They're cheap locks. See 'em often being sold at yard sales. They make a great gate or cabinet lock. Like your article says, a way for our government to spend money on something that's not going to be used for it's intended purpose quite frankly.

Sportsmen use better quality trigger locks and cases and safes they buy out of their own pocket.
You mean sportsmen like James and Jennifer Crumbley?
― Noam Chomsky

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:34 pm

I guess that people who live in gated communities in the middle of nowhere don't need guns as much. The only way to avoid violent attacks and other crimes is apparently to isolate yourself. If you were going to be murdered and went for your gun, and it was locked up, how would that delay keep YOU from being murdered?
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:52 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:34 pm
I guess that people who live in gated communities in the middle of nowhere don't need guns as much. The only way to avoid violent attacks and other crimes is apparently to isolate yourself. If you were going to be murdered and went for your gun, and it was locked up, how would that delay keep YOU from being murdered?
In this day and age, frettin' about getting shot while you're out in public is akin to fretting about getting in an accident while cruising the boulevard.
It is what it is.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:13 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:34 pm
We all know you struggle with data but please don't accuse me of calling you the idiot in the room...
People living with handgun owners died by homicide at twice the rate of their neighbors in gun-free homes. That difference was driven largely by homicides at home, which were three times more common among people living with handgun owners.

We detected much larger differences for particular types of homicide. Most notably, people living with handgun owners were seven times more likely to be shot by their spouse or intimate partner. In many of these cases, instead of being protective, the household gun probably operated as the instrument of death.

An especially troubling finding was that the vast majority of victims in these intimate partner shootings—84% in all—were female. It stands to reason that women bear the brunt of any second-hand risks that flow from firearm ownership. That’s because most people who live with gun owners and don’t themselves own guns are women.

Study findings in one other area were noteworthy: homicides perpetrated by strangers. Homicides of this kind were relatively uncommon in our study population—much less common than deaths perpetrated by the victim’s partner, family members, or friends. But when they happened, people living with gun owners did not experience them less often than people in gun-free homes.
https://time.com/6183881/gun-ownership-risks-at-home/
― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic