Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Schools Are Closed. Why?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Re: Schools Are Closed. Why?

Post by Bryce » Mon May 11, 2020 12:02 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:30 am
Bryce wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:17 am
craig11152 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:52 am
While it may make some (but not much) sense to close schools in the Wayne, Oakland and Kent county areas, much like the state wide lock-down, I just can't find the logic in closing schools state wide.
I think I read, or heard, somewhere early in the schools closed process that state law comes in to play. The law requires all kids in the state to have access to a free public education. So they can't just close some districts but not all.
There must be some wiggle room in that law somewhere. When schools in Western Michigan close because they got 14 inches of lake effect snow dumped on them, they don't close schools state wide.
But those closings are short term AND they still have to hit 180 days by the end of the year. Most districts factor in some number of snow days so by the end of the year they may have more than the minimum 180 days of class.
OK, I get it. Still, it seems a shame that our laws are set up for "because some can't, nobody can."

Plus, it doesn't seem Czarina Whitmer is too shy about signing executive orders suspending or adding too state law. She couldn't do the same here?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Mon May 11, 2020 12:50 pm

Schools are a breeding ground for germs. My wife teaches 2nd grade- kids put their hands in their mouths/ down their pants and then touch other people with those hands. My wife gets sick numerous times during the year and then brings it home to the rest of the family. As much as I don't like the schools being closed and this has affected me personally besides my wife and kids, with the closure, I agree with the closure,. It will be real intersting and KEY how the schools act to prevent sicknesses going forward.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 11, 2020 6:55 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:24 am
TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:20 am
:lol Toodles snowflake. You can't accept the science and get offended when you are questioned about your failure to accept orders from your Governor but go blindly on every hare-brained scheme that comes out of any two bit hot talk prep websites.
"Can't accept the science" is a bullshit argument, but "accept orders from your Governor" takes the cake. The failed governor does not have the constitutional standing to do what she is doing, and there are MANY data sets to consider, not just the data that natural sciences have consistently been wrong on.
Most of what comes from the Trump Patsies™ apprears in some conspiracy website and is pasted here.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 11, 2020 7:10 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:55 pm
Matt wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:24 am
TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:20 am
:lol Toodles snowflake. You can't accept the science and get offended when you are questioned about your failure to accept orders from your Governor but go blindly on every hare-brained scheme that comes out of any two bit hot talk prep websites.
"Can't accept the science" is a bullshit argument, but "accept orders from your Governor" takes the cake. The failed governor does not have the constitutional standing to do what she is doing, and there are MANY data sets to consider, not just the data that natural sciences have consistently been wrong on.
Most of what comes from the Trump Patsies™ apprears in some conspiracy website and is pasted here.
I see you are here to collect ANOTHER L.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:22 pm

Closing schools also effectively and easily shutdown numerous other activities that would have caused a lot of issues with community spread.

Things like sports and academic tournaments where people from across the state gather. If school stayed open, how do you handle things like choir? Singing is a especially effective way to spread viruses. What about busing?

This is completely unprecedented. While hindsight may prove that essentially throwing in the towel on the school year may have gone too far or been premature, with all the complexities involved with school and on the school communities, it made sense to just shut it down and let the state govt focus on other things and allow the schools ample time to plan for whatever it is the future holds for the state's children.

Clearly, there is still much work to be done. But being able to do it safely over the next few months makes a lot more sense than trying to put out what certainly would have been countless brushfires all over the state.

Children are incredibly adaptable. They will quickly get caught up on whatever it is that they missed in their classrooms once they are able to safely go back.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue May 12, 2020 11:57 pm

It will be interesting what the classroom will look like once kids return to school I know the desk will be apart as it wasn't 6 feet apart before the virus. Or maybe those that can do the classes online will just do that and those that don't have internet access go to school it will be interesting what the plans will be if the kids return to school in the fall.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic