Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer repeals right-to-work, reinstates prevailing wage in Michigan

Miss the posts from your favorite flame artist or troll who added little to no value to the Buzzboard? Read 'em here!
keto

Re: Whitmer repeals right-to-work, reinstates prevailing wage in Michigan

Post by keto » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:38 pm

Taco wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:03 pm
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/sto ... 042340007/

Even as a Whitmer supporter, I feel it is a mistake not letting workers decide for themselves if they want to join a union or not. Do we really need unions in the 21st Century?
It’s disappointing on multiple levels.

First, Whitmer lied. She said she would veto legislation containing appropriations. This one did. And she signed it anyway. How do you know when she’s lying? When her lips are moving.

Second, she put politics before people. Unions funnel millions of dollars to democrats. Besides taxes, unions are the only “service” that is so bad it requires government force for payment. Without right-to-work, unions can get workers fired simply for not paying the union. Oh, and when the workers say they don’t want to be represented by the union, the union refuses to let them go.

If unions are so great, why does 86% of Michigan workers not belong to one? If unions provided value, who wouldn’t want to pay them?

keto

Post by keto » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:16 pm

Taco wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:40 pm
I would also add that I don't think being forced into a union should be a condition of employment.
I agree. Freedom of association goes both ways. People should be able to join or not join unions.

keto

Post by keto » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:04 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:44 pm
Taco wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:03 pm
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/sto ... 042340007/

Even as a Whitmer supporter, I feel it is a mistake not letting workers decide for themselves if they want to join a union or not. Do we really need unions in the 21st Century?
Workers do have the right to choose. It takes a vote by the majority of the workers to cerify a Union.
Name one living UAW worker at any of the GM, Ford, or Fiat Chrysler plants that voted to certify the union. You’ll find exactly zero.

They had no choice in the matter. That was decided decades ago and another vote has never been held.

keto

Post by keto » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:34 pm

Imagine being forced to fund a private organization that you disagree with in order to keep your job.

Imagine being forced to fund that private organization that is so corrupt, two of its past presidents served prison time, along with more than a dozen other of its “leaders.”

Imagine that private organization funding exclusively one political party that you may disagree with.

That private organization is the UAW. And that force is the repeal of right-to-work.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 627545002/

keto

Post by keto » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:39 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:07 am
Fortunately, you have plenty of jobs without collective bargaining protections you can take should the burden be too great.
The “just work somewhere else” argument fails to recognize the immorality of forcing someone to do something they don’t want to do.

If you worked in a shop of 10 people, and six workers voted to become Muslim, and you didn’t, you would resist being forced to do daily prayers and contributing financially to the Muslim cause, but that’s what unions do.

keto

Post by keto » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:09 pm

Taco wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:09 am
This whole thing really bothers me. Workers should NOT be forced into joining a union. I think at the end up the day the businesses who require membership are just shooting themselves in the foot. It could deter a lot of good talent that doesn't want anything to do with unions. In today's economic climate is that what they really want?
If the service is so bad you have to fire people who don’t want to pay for it, it’s a pretty bad service.

keto

Post by keto » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:11 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:30 am
keto wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:04 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:44 pm

Workers do have the right to choose. It takes a vote by the majority of the workers to cerify a Union.
Name one living UAW worker at any of the GM, Ford, or Fiat Chrysler plants that voted to certify the union. You’ll find exactly zero.

They had no choice in the matter. That was decided decades ago and another vote has never been held.
In any workplace, the majority of workers can vote to decertify their Union.
You didn’t answer my request.

None of the people I mentioned ever voted to certify the union. Frankly, they were never asked whether they wanted to join until right-to-work was the law. And even then, unions didn’t want to let people know they had a choice to not pay them.

Decertifying means nobody gets to join the union. I believe people should have the choice.

If six out of 10 workers want to join the union, let them, just don’t force the four to.

Unions should be like sex. Do it if you want, but don’t force anyone else.

keto

Post by keto » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:07 pm

Oh, and the whole “prevailing wage” issue is a hoax. It’s not market value when the price of labor is artificially high.

Prepare to overpay more for publicly-funded projects.

keto

Post by keto » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:04 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:46 pm
keto wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:07 pm
Oh, and the whole “prevailing wage” issue is a hoax. It’s not market value when the price of labor is artificially high.

Prepare to overpay more for publicly-funded projects.
Can you imagine having work done at your house and going with the highest estimate? These people are insane.
Yeah, it’s so much easier to be ultra generous with other people’s money.

keto

Post by keto » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:01 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:08 am
MasterB wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:53 pm
the union bosses just want to enrich themselves
My Union has 750,000 bosses. We're the members who go to work every day, do our jobs, pay our dues and, every four years, elect our leaders. We're the real Union bosses. And, yes, we do enrich ourselves by joining our Union.
Wow. I can’t believe you’re serious.

Here’s a list of the actual union bosses:

https://www.unionfacts.com/employees/Un ... to_Workers

Check out their salaries. Lots of equality there.

Like any other private business (yes, that’s what the union is), those at the top make bank while the others are left crumbs. However, they literally profit from the hard work of others on the bottom.

These people have titles, but they do nothing. Actually, nothing. Have you ever visited a union hall?

Administrative assistants making more than $200,000? Yes, you can at the UAW!

Want to put a car together? $18 an hour.

keto

Post by keto » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:47 am

Rate This wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:33 am
Taco wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:48 am
Would probably get retaliation for even attempting to petition to decertify and making things uncomfortable for you and those in favor of decertification.
Decertification as well as certification are not uncommon. My company was bitterly divided around 15 years ago when decertification won by 1 lousy vote.
The “all or nothing” forced approach is immoral.

Each person should be able to make their own decision whether they want to join and pay a union or not.

Let’s say my neighbor wants to purchase a community dirt bike. He holds an election of whether the 10 people on the street want this dirt bike. If six say “yes,” I’m stuck paying for “my share” of the dirt bike I didn’t want and will never ride.

keto

Post by keto » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:00 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:54 am
keto wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:47 am
Rate This wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:33 am
Taco wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:48 am
Would probably get retaliation for even attempting to petition to decertify and making things uncomfortable for you and those in favor of decertification.
Decertification as well as certification are not uncommon. My company was bitterly divided around 15 years ago when decertification won by 1 lousy vote.
The “all or nothing” forced approach is immoral.

Each person should be able to make their own decision whether they want to join and pay a union or not.

Let’s say my neighbor wants to purchase a community dirt bike. He holds an election of whether the 10 people on the street want this dirt bike. If six say “yes,” I’m stuck paying for “my share” of the dirt bike I didn’t want and will never ride.
Do you union bust for a living? Seriously, have you ever been in a union? I have and it was great protection and I felt it made the company a better organization for customers.
Wow, defensive much? Why are you so afraid of people having a choice to not be forced into doing something they don’t want to do?

They bust themselves. They don’t need any of my help.

The union-approved two-tier wage system guarantees the newest worker makes literally half of the person next to them doing the same job. “Equal pay for equal work” my hiney.

If you want to be in a union, join one! Just don’t force someone else who doesn’t want it.

keto

Post by keto » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:45 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:39 pm
This may be a bit simplistic, but if businesses and owners could be counted on to do what's RIGHT, would there even be a need for a union in the first place?
I’ll never understand why people think making a union boss rich will improve their own lives.

keto

Post by keto » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:49 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:39 pm
This may be a bit simplistic, but if businesses and owners could be counted on to do what's RIGHT, would there even be a need for a union in the first place?
Or, if workers realized their own worth and negotiated their own compensation without paying someone else to do it. You know, like 90% of American workers not in a union.

keto

Post by keto » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:03 pm

Taco wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:00 pm
I want my pay check going towards things I want and need, not to some union I want no part of. After 401k and health insurance and HSA already being deducted from my pay, why would I wanna another deduction of union dues?
You forgot about the millions of dollars going to get democrats elected.

https://publicunionfacts.com/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic