Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Redwood calls out local anti-LGBT bias

Miss the posts from your favorite flame artist or troll who added little to no value to the Buzzboard? Read 'em here!
Reagan4prez

Re: Redwood calls out local anti-LGBT bias

Post by Reagan4prez » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:40 pm

sinklair wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:29 pm
In the recent Investigative Reporters & Editors Journal, former 25-66 anchor Femi Redwood calls out stations like Sinclair for not doing more to provide a more-inclusive workplace environment and more coverage of LGBT issues.

Redwood, who left 25-66 to work at CBS News and WINS New York radio station, serves as NABJ’s task force on LGBT issues.

In the article she says: “There’s a lot of work that newsrooms need to do. It doesn’t just fall on LGBTQ+ journalists, it doesn’t fall on the employees. I think a lot of it certainly falls on managers and corporations. It is easy to say ‘Happy Pride Day’ and put up a rainbow flag during pride month. It’s a lot harder to ensure that the coverage is inclusive, it’s fair and it’s as rich as it could be.”

Femi was a vocal advocate in the 25/66 newsroom. As such she was labeled as a troublemaker by the former GM/egomaniac and our current In Over Her Head News Director and HR Director/Party Planner. People don’t want to stick their neck out knowing that they’ll be retaliated against.

It has only become worse for our minority colleagues… just look at the lack of minorities in any prominent management role here at 25-66. Let me save you the math. 0 is the number of department head level hiring managers that are minorities or LGBT.
I 100% agree that diversity and inclusion makes us all better. I think it’s fairly simple to know who the minorities are. But how exactly do you suggest employers identify LGBTQIA+?

If they were to ask in a job interview, they would be sued, and they would lose, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic