Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

August Numbers

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Ben Zonia

August Numbers

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:12 pm

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

scifi and horror

Re: August Numbers

Post by scifi and horror » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Doom and gloom Mike doesn't seem to be tanking The Ticket. Just the opposite it seems.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:05 pm

98.7 The Breeze is slooowly sinking to the bottom of the pack (with a 2.8 share). Run Christmas music from November 1st to December 25th. Then flip the format by 01/01/2021, Tim. The Breeze is too MELLOW/boring for today's P25-54 audience. Doesn't help that they only have 4 "live" DJs now (Chadd & Kristi Thomas, Kim Adams, and Sandy Kovach). When you run a station on the CHEAP, you get cheap results. Maybe go with a "Motown Memories" format (60's-70's) for The Breeze, and update WOMC to an 80's, 90's and 00's format?

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:33 pm

non-anon bob wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:05 pm
98.7 The Breeze is slooowly sinking to the bottom of the pack (with a 2.8 share). Run Christmas music from November 1st to December 25th. Then flip the format by 01/01/2021, Tim. The Breeze is too MELLOW/boring for today's P25-54 audience. Doesn't help that they only have 4 "live" DJs now (Chadd & Kristi Thomas, Kim Adams, and Sandy Kovach). When you run a station on the CHEAP, you get cheap results. Maybe go with a "Motown Memories" format (60's-70's) for The Breeze, and update WOMC to an 80's, 90's and 00's format?
If the format is too mellow for the 25-54 year olds, why would you want a 60’s and 70’s Motown format with a slightly older demo. Really doesn’t make sense in what you’re suggesting.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:43 pm

scifi and horror wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:39 pm
Doom and gloom Mike doesn't seem to be tanking The Ticket. Just the opposite it seems.
Maybe not. Have no idea. Don't care.
He's unlistenable IMHO.
However, Tigers PBP came back in August and they don't suck at the moment.
That's my theory on the ratings pop we saw.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:04 pm

Happy to see WLLZ still way behind.
Nothing says "The new generation classic rock!" like The Doors and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

radiojunkie2002

Post by radiojunkie2002 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:21 pm

Good to see WDMK doing well. Good mix of new and classic. My new favorite They have it just right.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:37 am

The station formerly known as Gnash seeing much better numbers now that morning are local.

Mike McVay is a total fucktard for not allowing a local morning show during his reign as corporate PD.

A 3.9 share radio station should be able to make significantly more money than a 2.6 share radio station.

WDVD has also witnessed a nice ratings bounce, which leads me to 105.1 - they are tanking. I predicted around the start of the year that would happen.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:32 am

non-anon bob wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:05 pm
The Breeze is not too mellow. It's the poor song selection with lack of proper talent and imaging.
There's a reason this format is in the top 5 in every market it's in, besides us. Their song selections are not garbage like ours is.

Most of the playlist is fine, but things like "Rock Witcha" by Bobby Brown are not AC Standards and throw the sound off completely.

If they don't know what they are doing, they need to hire someone that does. Do they even have a PD?
Heck, I'll gladly program it for free.

Music is my life.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:59 am

radiojunkie2002 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:21 pm
Good to see WDMK doing well. Good mix of new and classic. My new favorite They have it just right.
They really are sounding damn good. I’ll have to take one of the shit Canadian stations off the presets in the truck and put on 105.9 Kiss FM.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:23 am

Is WDFN the only signal that hasn’t seen a drop in share since going to the Black Information Network?

rizzman87

Post by rizzman87 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:58 am

armchair pd wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:43 pm
scifi and horror wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:39 pm
Maybe not. Have no idea. Don't care.
He's unlistenable IMHO.
However, Tigers PBP came back in August and they don't suck at the moment.
That's my theory on the ratings pop we saw.
Bingo! Just look at their ratings when the Tigers play and especially when they're competitive.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:14 am

Tigers playing 500 ball is good for ratings numbers. On another topic, in Milwaukee, #1 is an AM station, as is #5, why isn't AM like that in Detroit (well WWJ is in a 3 way tie, but WJR is nowhere near the double digits that they once had)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:00 am

Milwaukee has fewer viable full-market FM signals than Detroit.

105.1 The Bounce is sinking fast in key demos. WOMC had a really good A25-54 showing. WRIF is back to #1 in that same demo.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is this: WDRQ defeated WYCD in Adults 25-54! In fact, New Country 93-1 finished fifth overall in that group. WDRQ also defeated WYCD in A18-34 by a narrow margin.

If 93.1 can maintain numbers like that, it'll be sticking around for a very long time. Also, cluster mate WDVD had an unusually strong book.

WLLZ also had a very good book, finishing sixth in the money demo. Three of the top six A25-54 stations are rock formatted.

Laggards for August - aside from the aforementioned Bounce whose numbers are on a multi-month slide - include WKQI (still good numbers just not as strong as usual) and WNIC.

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/arch ... pm-for-mia
Is WDFN the only signal that hasn’t seen a drop in share since going to the Black Information Network?
The station basically went from no audience with one format to no audience with another format.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:12 am

The Breeze is not too mellow. It's the poor song selection with lack of proper talent and imaging.
There's a reason this format is in the top 5 in every market it's in, besides us. Their song selections are not garbage like ours is.

Most of the playlist is fine, but things like "Rock Witcha" by Bobby Brown are not AC Standards and throw the sound off completely.

If they don't know what they are doing, they need to hire someone that does. Do they even have a PD?
Heck, I'll gladly program it for free.
Their slide is almost entirely due to COVID, reduction in commuting numbers, and many people who once worked in the office now working from home. I do agree the sound of the station could stand to be more cohesive.

Magic 105.1 by far had its best numbers in middays; all other dayparts were much weaker (except for the first few years Jim Harper was with the station). In Detroit, Soft AC geared to a lily white audience is heavily dependent on in-office listening.

Mistake #1 was not going Classic Rock under the "Wheels" banner. Such a format paired with The Ticket would've put a significant dent in Beasley's revenue at 94.7 & 101.1.

Mistake #2 was going lily white Soft AC - especially in regard to station imaging and DJ selection - as opposed to a rhythm infused Soft AC akin to 94.7 The Wave in Los Angeles. The station is geared toward menopausal (and older) Caucasian women who live in places such as Novi, Livonia, and Rochester Hills.

Granted, if COVID never occurred, I think 98.7's numbers would be better right now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic