Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Part time contract engineer opening

Are you a broadcaster, print media or electronic media company looking to hire? Do you have production or creative services to offer? Are you an engineer or techie looking to buy or sell equipment? If the answer to any of the questions is "Yes," let the Buzzboard audience know about it here!
Plate Cap

Part time contract engineer opening

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:15 pm

A contract engineer is needed for two SE Michigan area stations.

This opening would be perfect for an retired broadcast engineer looking to keep his finger in the business. It's by no means a full time position, and probably would not be a good fit for someone who is already conventionally employed.

Work would involve a visit once a week to both the TX and studio of one station, and only running trouble calls at the other. It averages 4-6 hours a week for the one. Historically, the job has billed somewhere between 250-400 hours a year. There is an assistant / helper available who is electronics savvy, with some radio experience, but not a broadcast engineer (i.e. if you go away for a couple of weeks its not a problem).

A new transmitter installation is coming up in the next year to 18 months; as such some additional work would be available above the norm.

Payment is upon receipt of an emailed invoice, and you would be 1099'd at the end of each year. Both clients are good to work for; no drama.

Trouble calls are rare, and most everything is duplicated, but enough experience to evaluate an issue and plan/execute a repair is needed. Phone help is always available, and a broad spectrum of emergency assistance from the area engineers is available if needed.

PM me here with a description of your experience, your general location, contact info, and of course your hourly fee requirement.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Arthur Mometer

Re: Part time contract engineer opening

Post by Arthur Mometer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:46 pm

I know someone who had a First Phone years ago, but never worked in Broadcasting. He does maintenance on cellular and other radio utility installations as I recall. I used to work with his significant other. I can ask her if he's interested. So that would be part time 5-8 hours a week. Is there a lot of overnight stuff?

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:24 am

Very rare late nights....in a typical year, there there may be 1 unplanned visit after hours. Sometimes it's just easier to go to a complete cold shutdown, but that is often at the decision of the engineers.

The equipment is exceptionally stable, and there are 2 discrete transmitters and antennas.

At the emergency-only site, we typically just respond the next morning.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:40 pm

She sent him my email. She's going to talk to him about it tonight. He lives in the Sterling Heights area, so if it's the antenna farm area, that's great I would think.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic