Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Stations responsability to it's city of license.

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
douglasm

Re: Stations responsability to it's city of license.

Post by douglasm » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:47 pm

Just to make a point, I'm not interested in challenging the license. I am as much curious about how the regulations regarding translators works nowadays.

Yes, the station is buried deep in the Cascade Mountains and no, it is not a translator but a licensed station. KCSY is it's calls, and I incorrectly stated it's ERP. It's 220 watts. Looking at it's coverage map, the "local" signal is about right.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pa ... =L&hours=U

I guess what irritates me the most is that there are a number of stations out here that translate into the market from various locations that do not directly serve the market with their originating signal. I guess I'm picking on KCSY because I used to voice track evenings for a previous owner, and I'm familiar with the station. Having said that, there are a half a dozen stations in the market that are guilty of the same thing.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:53 am

douglasm wrote: I guess what irritates me the most is that there are a number of stations out here that translate into the market from various locations that do not directly serve the market with their originating signal
I'm trying to follow the discussion and learn something. What do you mean by "directly serve the market"? Can you give me something specific or a few things specific they should be doing that they aren't?
Again I'm not in the industry so I'm just trying to learn something.

Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

douglasm

Post by douglasm » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:34 pm

By that I mean stations that whose primary market served is outside of their originating signal.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:39 pm

Here's a link to the regulations on FM translators with regard to terrain that I think you're looking for doug.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/74.1231
Cornell Law School is a good quick resource for looking up federal regulations.
douglasm wrote:...there are a number of stations out here that translate into the market from various locations that do not directly serve the market with their originating signal.
When you say "market" here do you mean Twisp?
Because as far as I can tell from Arbitron's markets Twisp and Okanogan County is in the Wenatchee radio market. The FCC recognizes that stations serve markets more now instead of just COLs or individual communities. And if a station's COL is in a designated market then its coverage is supposed to be for the whole market.

If KCSY's original focus was Twisp, it now looks like its using the terrain translator rule to reach the entire market now. I can't really blame them either. Twisp is just over 900 people versus the more than 32,000 in Wenatchee. You have to focus on where you can make money.
And based on that contour map posted from Radio-Locator.com and looking at population I'm just guessing KCSY's 106.3 local signal looks like it might reach about 5,000 listeners and its distant contour could get 10,000.

I do agree with your initial concern though, that if there was a natural disaster within KCSY's coverage area and they mostly ignored it, that's wrong.

douglasm

Post by douglasm » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Thank you. That was the kind of information I was looking for.

Jack, I agree with you on the marketability of a station in Twisp. I did VT nights for them under their old ownership......for almost 5 years (and 1 heart attack).......when the near bankrupt station was being held together by a very dedicated station manager/newsman/head salesperson/morning jock.

This whole thing relates to KCSY's actions during the Carlton Complex fires.....and subsequent flood.....that ravaged the northern Cascade mountains this summer. And knocked them off the air when the power went out due to burned power poles. I was just very upset when listening to them in Wenatchee (knowing they're licensed to Twisp), listening to a VT afternoon drive program just before their power went out. A "afternoon traffic jam" in Twisp is a couple of hay trucks parked outside of Hank's Market.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:44 pm

craig11152 wrote:I am not in radio so i do not understand the nuts and bolts of the industry. but it seems to me as a business you need to respond to your customers. If they are 150 miles away so be it. Who do the advertisements aim at? If I paid for air time I'd want bang for my buck.
I have zero knowledge of U.S. law, but it seems to me the first duty of the broadcaster should be to the community, not to its advertisers or its shareholders. The radio frequency spectrum is public property. Anyone licensed to have exclusive use of a frequency within a community should be obligated to provide a service to that community. If they can't make a profit doing that they shouldn't be in business. Let someone else use that frequency.

BeerMan

Post by BeerMan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:27 pm

In short. Stations have no obligation to the community of license any more.

douglasm

Post by douglasm » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Too damn bad.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic