Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

New MC5

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
riggs

New MC5

Post by riggs » Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:00 pm

Hey, just checking in to see if any of Detroit's rock stations, who constantly boast about their pride with being involved with Detroit, played the new MC5 song today. You know, just to say "Hey, first new album in 53 years, here's a 3 minute taste". My guess is that answer would probably be no. That would be breaking the format. The song hasn't been "presearched" enough yet, so we can't do it. It didn't "test" well. I mean, a LEGENDARY Detroit band who helped shape an actual sound and movement in Rock N Roll history. A band headed into the Hall Of Fame this year. A band who's last two original members died just this year. Anyone? WRIF? WLLZ ? CSX.......sorry, CSX, who are we kidding...............Anyone? I could see DET maybe, but any other of these "local" stations?

I mean, I really want to know. On a day when Detroit is bringing in dozens of musicians (most with Detroit connection) to celebrate the re-opening of a majestic building, could they be bothered to give 3 minutes to it?

As far as I know, when John Sinclair died, none of them played the John Lennon song about him. Couldn't be bothered to break the format. The guy who was the international face of the legalize cannabis movement and the very reason Hash Bash was created. Nobody bothered to even play it in the overnight or on a weekend show. Shame on those "local" stations.

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

thatonedude

Re: New MC5

Post by thatonedude » Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:15 pm

No Detroit stations from what I saw played it; ditto for "John Sinclair" when he died.

107one sure did, though! ;)
take this job and shove it

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:16 pm

...what, and have to drop We're Not Gonna Take It? Have you lost your mind, Riggs???
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:20 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:16 pm
...what, and have to drop We're Not Gonna Take It? Have you lost your mind, Riggs???
New songs on their air? They sure aren’t gonna take it.,,

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:04 pm

riggs wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:00 pm
Hey, just checking in to see if any of Detroit's rock stations, who constantly boast about their pride with being involved with Detroit, played the new MC5 song today. You know, just to say "Hey, first new album in 53 years, here's a 3 minute taste". My guess is that answer would probably be no. That would be breaking the format. The song hasn't been "presearched" enough yet, so we can't do it. It didn't "test" well. I mean, a LEGENDARY Detroit band who helped shape an actual sound and movement in Rock N Roll history. A band headed into the Hall Of Fame this year. A band who's last two original members died just this year. Anyone? WRIF? WLLZ ? CSX.......sorry, CSX, who are we kidding...............Anyone? I could see DET maybe, but any other of these "local" stations?

I mean, I really want to know. On a day when Detroit is bringing in dozens of musicians (most with Detroit connection) to celebrate the re-opening of a majestic building, could they be bothered to give 3 minutes to it?

As far as I know, when John Sinclair died, none of them played the John Lennon song about him. Couldn't be bothered to break the format. The guy who was the international face of the legalize cannabis movement and the very reason Hash Bash was created. Nobody bothered to even play it in the overnight or on a weekend show. Shame on those "local" stations.
Possibly the greatest post in the history of this board.
The censorship king from out of state.

Majik

Post by Majik » Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:22 pm

Yes, what a sad commentary on the state of local airwaves. Nobody has the balls to buck the homogenization of corporate radio. Detroit radio was once among the giants in its field. Now it is probably indistinguishable from Davenport, Topeka & Santa Fe.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:02 pm

"Wanted Dead or Alive" has got to get its spins!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:05 pm

I mean, it's not like it was a contemporary song from Seger or anything. They'll hype that up for two weeks, play the song every two hours and will feature it with the "yesterday and today" imaging, doing live broadcasts, renaming streets, interviews, Seger A-Z and a full live concert broadcast.

Every other Detroit artist can go to hell. Now get in there and spin Rock You Like a Hurricane.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:58 am

Let's face it. A lot of the listeners probably don't even know who the MC5 are or were. It's not like they had a ton of hits. They were known for one song.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:56 am

Echoing other comments, to play the MC5 might involve bumping "Dust in the Wind" or the prog rock stylings of Yes. Classic Rock programmers can't risk alienating listeners by not playing these essential tracks.

riggs

Post by riggs » Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:16 am

Willie108 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:58 am
Let's face it. A lot of the listeners probably don't even know who the MC5 are or were. It's not like they had a ton of hits. They were known for one song.
That's why you frame it. Talk into it, Talk out of it. Say why you did it. It's a historic moment. Listeners do like to be surprised sometimes. They actually like it a lot. But how do you set it up. I don't know. You talk about it 2 hours before you do it. "Hey, first new MC5 album in 53 years, these guys are the MOTOR CITY 5........we're going to play them in the 8:00 hour. The tune rocks." Build anticipation. Make it an event. Make it an appointment. Make it bigger than it is. Where has that gone? Where's the heart? Might as well just have A.I. announcers (which I am sure they will soon). Where's the fun ? This is fuckin Rock & Roll...........YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BREAK SOME RULES ! Own it!
Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:01 am

Ya know, if they can’t even get airplay in their own town, maybe they don’t belong in the R&RHOF.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:57 pm

CSX played Kick Out The Jams at least
Music is my life.

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:08 pm

Not sure how you can call this an MC5 album. Rob Tyner, Fred Smith, and Mike Davis have been gone for years. Dennis only played on two of the tracks. It's essentially Wayne Kramer playing with a variety of musician friends. That being said though, it does deserve to be heard. But it ain't the MC5.

https://youtu.be/wl3NMXG_shI

But this, This is the MC5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfDoUIh23Wg

riggs

Post by riggs » Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:55 pm

Majik wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:01 am
Ya know, if they can’t even get airplay in their own town, maybe they don’t belong in the R&RHOF.
if that Hall of Fame was based on airplay only, it wouldn't be worth anything.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic