Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Who the heck is Marc Ryan on 97.1 The Ticket?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MrTaterSalad

Who the heck is Marc Ryan on 97.1 The Ticket?

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:04 pm

So I was listening to 97.1 tonight and there is some guy named Marc Ryan on the air co-hosting with Wojo in place of Jeff Riger tonight. Sounds like he was just hired from South Carolina and has never so much as lived in Detroit or went to a Michigan college like Valenti did attending MSU. So it sounds like Mark Ryan is a new fill-in host on 97.1 taking on the new Jim Costa role.

With all the local talent out there who understand Detroit sports like Sean Baligian and Matt Dery that could be hired to do fill in shifts, why bring in an out of towner?
Last edited by MrTaterSalad on Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Round Six

Re: Who the heck is Mark Ryan on 97.1 The Ticket?

Post by Round Six » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:11 pm

I did a search. He's full time at the Ticket. His wife and family are from Detroit. Said he's taking over for Jim Costa:

https://barrettsportsmedia.com/2024/03/ ... he-ticket/
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:39 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:04 pm
So I was listening to 97.1 tonight and there is some guy named Mark Ryan on the air co-hosting with Wojo in place of Jeff Riger tonight. Sounds like he was just hired from South Carolina and has never so much as lived in Detroit or went to a Michigan college like Valenti did attending MSU. So it sounds like Mark Ryan is a new fill-in host on 97.1 taking on the new Jim Costa role.

With all the local talent out there who understand Detroit sports like Sean Baligian and Matt Dery that could be hired to do fill in shifts, why bring in an out of towner?
From what I hear, there is a dearth of sports talk talent in Detroit. May be the reason that 97.1 has no competition.

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:43 am

He's been on the last two nights. First subbing for Wojo, then last night subbing for Riger. The guy can't seem to shut up, and I find him to be extremely annoying to the point where I had to change stations last night after 45 minutes of him talking about "what are your favorite bar games". This guy's topics are going to be worse than Stoney's.

statmanmi

Re: Who the heck is Marc Ryan on 97.1 The Ticket?

Post by statmanmi » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:35 pm

Looks like it's expected that he'll be a fill-in wherever needed, per this presser:

https://www.michiganmedia.com/2024/03/2 ... o-wxyt-fm/

Marc with a C, I'm seeing. Not that the difference between the C versus K can be heard on radio.

Cheers!
Statmanmi

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:24 pm

statmanmi wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:35 pm
.... Marc with a C, I'm seeing. Not that the difference between the C versus K can be heard on radio ...
From what Dan in Northville said, sounds like we may have a Stoney Jr.
Would rather talk about the best snow tires, instead of last night's game.

I dunno. And I admit I get a bit anal about this.
It really would be nice, especially in the morning, if they spent some time talking about last night's games.
Folks turning on the radio during drive time don't care about the majority of the topics they seem to want to dwell on.
Listeners want to know who won and who lost.

And yeah I know someone here will reply with "There's an app for that".
But you can't look at that while your driving. How many are going to roll out of bed early to check scores on their phone?.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:44 pm

Maybe Sean and Matt don't want to do sports radio anymore, but if 97.1 needed another fill-in/weekend host I would have rather they hired guys with local experience like Baligian or Dery. Or maybe bring in someone like Tony Paul, who did shows on 105.1 when it was around. Oh well, good luck to Marc.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:01 pm

Running around doing some errands this morning and “the new guy” Mark Ryan was sitting in w/Pat Caputo from 10am until the Tigers pre-game. It kinda surprised me, because Saturday mornings have been exclusively solo Caputo (for better or worse!) for what seems like an eternity.
At certain points I listened, it seemed like Caputo was extra crotchety and surly, at times directly at Ryan, especially when he was naming off all the random Red Wings future prospects, that Ryan had no idea who they were. Kinda “smartest man in the room/studio” from Caputo. Certainly felt a bit like Caputo wasn’t enjoying sharing the mic this Saturday morning, under the guise of inspired repartee and banter between co-hosts.

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:43 pm

I just don't know why they're trying to shoehorn this guy into regular programing where he isn't needed. Stick this guy on at night and let him grow his audience there if they think he's so good. Or let him do fill in on his own where needed. But trying to force feed him to us as a co-host with Caputo, Riger or Wojo is not good radio.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:04 pm

Unlike Caputo, the new guy sounds like a professional broadcaster.

I agree he should be given his own show.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

edj

Post by edj » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:08 pm

Caputo has always been an instant change of the dial, OK? Because he's um... you know not interesting, a jerk and dull, OK? Also, um, what MW said, OK?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:32 pm

Ya know, since you are trying to talk like that Caputo guy, ya know, you shoulda thrown in a couple "ya knows."
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

jsf

Post by jsf » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:45 am

I couple of saturday's ago Caputo was ranting that the Tigers had no black players on the team, I don't know how he keeps his job.he must work cheap.

Majik

Post by Majik » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:48 am

jsf wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:45 am
I couple of saturday's ago Caputo was ranting that the Tigers had no black players on the team, I don't know how he keeps his job.he must work cheap.
Well at least the old white guy wasn’t ranting that there were too many black players.

edj

Post by edj » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:13 am

Black youths playing baseball has been in decline for years. They gravitate more towards basketball and football. I don't know what the turning point was on that, there are theories but no concrete evidence.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic