Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A Letter to Dan Miller

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Round Six

A Letter to Dan Miller

Post by Round Six » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:23 am

First a congrats for doing something I like seeing. Folks who have actually played ball appearing on your Sports Works. In the past couple weeks you've had Tim McCormick and Greg Kampe on talking about the NCAA Championships. Love seeing that sort of thing.

One thing you may notice your cohorts on Let-R-Rip do is rotate the panel depending on the topic. Langton & Company will sometimes have 3 sets of guests in a half hour.

Why not ponder doing the same? When the discussion is baseball, bring in a couple ballplayers. Same with football. As the Lions start getting going, let's hear from gridiron players, not 97.1 talking heads that have never thrown a ball or slapped a puck.

I myself see no purpose in having Stone or Caputo (your guests last night) or your other broadcasting booth buddies on your show. Yeah they are your world. And you're naturally inclined to give your pals some airtime. But if others are like me, we'd rather hear from folks who have been on the field or ice. Gotta feeling any former player would be tickled pink to be on TV. McCormick sure seems to enjoy himself. So why not go with the expertise?

Thanks.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

dial-it-in

Re: A Letter to Dan Miller

Post by dial-it-in » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:10 pm

Personally, I hate it when Kampe is on. McCormick is fine if theyre doing basketball stuff but I feel both struggle otherwise. Kampe consistently cant and wont say anything remotely negative even if its warranted and the "Aw, shucks" routine wears thin very quickly. I'm sure hes a wonderful guy but TV is not for him.
Not a fan of MOST of the 97.1 crew they bring in.
Stone is just as bad on TV as he is on radio, Birchfield is pretty good and Caputo is just as sleep inducing as his radio show. If they insist on radio guys how about Riger, Karsch or Anderson?

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:13 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:10 pm
Stone is just as bad on TV as he is on radio, Birchfield is pretty good and Caputo is just as sleep inducing as his radio show. If they insist on radio guys how about Riger, Karsch or Anderson?
^This

sizzlechest

Post by sizzlechest » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:53 pm

Dan in Northville wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:13 pm
dial-it-in wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:10 pm
^This
Totally agree!

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:45 pm

Letter To Dan Miller: For heavens sake....stop screaming TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS every time they score a touchdown!!!! It gets beyond annoying!!!! You sound like you're falling out of the booth!!!!

Rich S

Post by Rich S » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:05 am

In my lifetime I’ve had the pleasure of watching some of the greats cover sports- Eli, Don, Bernie. I even have faint memories of Al Ackerman. That being said, Dan is the greatest. Always enjoyed watching his sportscasts and think he does a great job with the Lions!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:58 pm

Rich S wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:05 am
In my lifetime I’ve had the pleasure of watching some of the greats cover sports- Eli, Don, Bernie. I even have faint memories of Al Ackerman. That being said, Dan is the greatest. Always enjoyed watching his sportscasts and think he does a great job with the Lions!
^This
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

RKC123

Post by RKC123 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:35 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:58 pm
Rich S wrote:
^This
AGREED.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:28 pm

Rich S wrote:
Dan's very good. He can flex his personality without going too far in one direction. When he sits down with a Lion for an interview, he knows how to ask tough questions while at the same time sounding like a personal friend.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:54 pm

Dan's employment as the Lions PBP man is a major journalistic conflict of interest.

If he were a true professional, he'd resign from one of his two jobs.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:21 pm

did you feel the same way about mark champion (lions and pistons) and his work at wwj?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:34 pm

When has he worked as a sports anchor / journalist at WWJ?

He's solely been a play-by-play man in the 25 years I've lived on this side of the state. So, no conflict exists.

Larry Henry 25+ years ago did sports reports at WWJ + some Pistons radio play by play.

One could certainly argue Doug "Marlboro Man" Karsch's comments regarding U-M on 97.1's airwaves are tainted by his employment as the football PBP man. The distinction in his case is 97.1 is an opinion-driven sports/talk station, not a news organization that should be unbiased.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:28 am

Didn't Karsch graduate from MSU?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:50 am

I believe that is correct.

In terms of employment opportunities, U-M doesn't discriminate against MSU folks. :)

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:01 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:34 pm
When has he worked as a sports anchor / journalist at WWJ?

He's solely been a play-by-play man in the 25 years I've lived on this side of the state. So, no conflict exists.

Larry Henry 25+ years ago did sports reports at WWJ + some Pistons radio play by play.

One could certainly argue Doug "Marlboro Man" Karsch's comments regarding U-M on 97.1's airwaves are tainted by his employment as the football PBP man. The distinction in his case is 97.1 is an opinion-driven sports/talk station, not a news organization that should be unbiased.
when i heard commercials last week on WWJ for "California Psychics" i kinda lost respect for the station as being a serious journalistic news outlet.

But maybe they are THAT hard up for advertising $$ that they took the money..

Next up, 1-900 after hours type of ads......"for steamy talk call".....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic