Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Dan Dickerson

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Round Six

Re: Dan Dickerson

Post by Round Six » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:41 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:50 am
Yes, but it also honored the Buzzboard tradition of veering completely away from the title topic in less than one page.
I've been noticing the threads that veer tend to concern some topic I didn't find interesting to begin with.

Perhaps that's why discussions here on Buzzboard wander. Many of us look at the subject heading, think "Ehhh" and would rather talk about the best place for egg bagels.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:09 pm

Majik wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:02 pm
I also fine the younger staff overuses the word awesome.
"Surreal" has become another favored word, used by all ages. I don't recall hearing it much at all until this century, when it exploded in popularity. I've never used the word myself.

Mud

Post by Mud » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:57 pm

Interesting listening to DD with Andy, where it sounds more like a back and forth conversation. I've heard Bobby get cut off on several occasions "per" game when he rambles on. Dan goes right to a ground ball out or pop up in quick fashion in those instances even though its a routine out. Who is Bobby Scales again?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:09 pm

Craig Monroe is awful. Why does he yell obnoxiously into the mic?
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:43 pm

The Painted Horse wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:15 pm
This thread is starting to give off a real “old retired dudes chatting at their weekly Tuesday morning donut shop meeting” vibe.
You all told me the meeting was on wednesdays

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:37 pm

Listened to the whole game today while driving. Bobby Scales is far better than Jim Price. He's just got to get rid of the Professional Hitter cache. They're in the Major Leagues, even Alex Avila was a Professional Hitter as much as he struck out. Use Quality hitter or contact hitter... Something. And drop the Art of Pitching. There is no art to pitching anymore. All the guys throw as hard as they can until they blow out their arms.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:50 pm

Scales was a journeyman infielder, mainly a minor leager. Dirks is far better both as a broadcaster and former player, and would have had a decent career (not All-Star) if not for injuries.

Whatever happened to the belt Craig Monroe stole?

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:50 am

Mud wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:57 pm
Interesting listening to DD with Andy, where it sounds more like a back and forth conversation. I've heard Bobby get cut off on several occasions "per" game when he rambles on. Dan goes right to a ground ball out or pop up in quick fashion in those instances even though its a routine out. Who is Bobby Scales again?
Dickerson and Scales talk way too much. I listen to other radio broadcasts through SiriusXM and those broadcasters mostly report on the game, with a little analysis and background here and there. They also know how to use pauses to bring the sounds of the game into the broadcast.

Dickerson and Scales over analyze and repeat what each other says. Scales is particularly in love with the phrase "in the zone."

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:45 am

I was listening to Dickerson and Scales last night. When I tuned in, they were coming out of a commercial break and I waited to hear the score of the game. And waited and waited and waited.

Finally, Dickerson started to give the score, but was interrupted by a ball that was put in play. He described the play, followed by typical over-analysis by him and Scales, and never got back to giving the score.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:16 am

edj wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:50 pm
Scales was a journeyman infielder, mainly a minor leager. Dirks is far better both as a broadcaster and former player, and would have had a decent career (not All-Star) if not for injuries.

Whatever happened to the belt Craig Monroe stole?
I think most people would prefer Dirks, but his real estate business probably prevents him from broadcasting road games.

https://teamdirks.com/meet-our-team

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:20 am

Momo wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:09 pm
Majik wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:02 pm
I also fine the younger staff overuses the word awesome.
"Surreal" has become another favored word, used by all ages. I don't recall hearing it much at all until this century, when it exploded in popularity. I've never used the word myself.
I think the word "surreal" really exploded in popularity at around 3 p.m. yesterday. :)

riggs

Post by riggs » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:31 pm

Dan Dickerson is one of the best radio play by play guys in baseball. His mentioning of "the art of pitching" is a tribute to his former partner Jim Price.

You will just find anything to bitch about around here, won't you?

And yep, they get caught eating sometimes, it's called a "bad bite". Makes them more human.

And yes, they will repeat a lot of things. 162 games, 9 or more innings for each, 3 hours of broadcasting. You're gonna repeat some things. Ernie and Vin and Jack and Mel and Red and all of 'em had their little sayings and tag lines.

Dan blew out both knees jogging during a road trip. He only missed one game. Dude's a gamer.
Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:57 am

riggs wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:31 pm
Dan Dickerson is one of the best radio play by play guys in baseball. His mentioning of "the art of pitching" is a tribute to his former partner Jim Price.

You will just find anything to bitch about around here, won't you?

And yep, they get caught eating sometimes, it's called a "bad bite". Makes them more human.

And yes, they will repeat a lot of things. 162 games, 9 or more innings for each, 3 hours of broadcasting. You're gonna repeat some things. Ernie and Vin and Jack and Mel and Red and all of 'em had their little sayings and tag lines.

Dan blew out both knees jogging during a road trip. He only missed one game. Dude's a gamer.
I agree with bobbert's last post. Especially about taking a little break. Nothing wrong with a little dead air between plays. Hear the crowd chatter.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:23 pm

I listened to Greg Gania fill in for Dan Dickerson today on the radio. I liked Greg's play-by-play, but during excitable moments, like home runs, he's a Dickerson clone. Loud shouting, with the annoying growl on the edge of the voice.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:44 pm

Dickerson is probably in the middle of the pack among active MLB radio broadcasters, in my opinion.

He has strong points and low points.

The guy the Blue Jays fired called a better game than Dan. Pat Hughes and Tom Hamilton both call a better game as well.

I've not yet listened to Marty Brennaman's successor in Cincinnati. Marty was great.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic