Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Nielsen Detroit radio ratings

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Tvguy

Nielsen Detroit radio ratings

Post by Tvguy » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:07 pm

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Nielsen Detroit radio ratings

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:44 pm

Fake Wheels 106.7 posts a new record low for the brand, Alt 98.7 soars to a 3.7 share (a new record high for them), and WRIF inches up to a 6.2 share (close to record high territory).

WJLB and WDMK continue to underachieve.

The Ticket has descended now that the Lions playoff run is over but remains a remarkably strong station.

Channel 955 and WNIC are both hitting home runs.

Big time improvement for 105.1 The Bounce. That's their best 6+ showing in a long time. Mix 92.3 remains king among all Urban / R&B stations, however, in 6+. I suspect Bounce has pulled ahead in key demos, though.

WDET has opened a meaningful lead over WUOM. Everyone hates the name "Michigan Public."

WFDF's 0.6 share matches the prediction I made back in September for the just-released survey.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:49 pm

Wow! Who would’ve thought that Alt would ever get this high in 6+!?!

edj

Post by edj » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:07 pm

Fake Wheels is barely above WDET! Yikes!

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:22 pm

WLLZ is slipping further?

Maybe get your shit together and stop with that absolute mess of a playlist. Mom rock Journey or Bryan Adams followed by Metallica isnt cutting it. I do appreciate that you will slip a deeper track in once and awhile. Pick a lane and just fucking do it. If you want to be mom rock, then mom rock the shit of it. There are some pretty decent tunes in that genre. If you want to be harder then fucking be harder and give us some good harder rock from the 80's and 90's. Drop the "Paint it Black" bullshit from the 60's and Eagles from the 70's.

Majik

Post by Majik » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:40 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:44 pm
Fake Wheels 106.7 posts a new record low for the brand, Alt 98.7 soars to a 3.7 share (a new record high for them), and WRIF inches up to a 6.2 share (close to record high territory).

WJLB and WDMK continue to underachieve.

The Ticket has descended now that the Lions playoff run is over but remains a remarkably strong station.

Channel 955 and WNIC are both hitting home runs.

Big time improvement for 105.1 The Bounce. That's their best 6+ showing in a long time. Mix 92.3 remains king among all Urban / R&B stations, however, in 6+. I suspect Bounce has pulled ahead in key demos, though.

WDET has opened a meaningful lead over WUOM. Everyone hates the name "Michigan Public."

WFDF's 0.6 share matches the prediction I made back in September for the just-released survey.
Adding 97.1 streaming would make them #1.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:17 am

Should change the name of this thread to "Let's Slam WLLZ...AGAIN!!!"

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:21 am

Although in earlier posts I said that WYCD would move up in the overall ratings I really didn't expect WYCD with a higher
number than WRIF, WCSX, and WMXD. Without WDRQ as competition I thought that the people who like the modern coun-
try hits would make WYCD a higher rated station. Since WLLZ went down to a 2.1% share it makes me wonder if I-Heart may
consider putting country back on 106.7 FM as it was at one time. That could be interesting if they would go up against the
Audacy station WYCD. WLLZ isn't making it as a classic rock competitor to WCSX and that continues to be the case each
month. I-Heart might want to do in Detroit what they've done in Grand Rapids with B-93. Could that happen someday?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:15 pm

I agree that a resurrection of country at 106.7 cannot be ruled out.

More likely, though, iHM will stay the course. Their other stations locally under index with middle aged (and older) white males. WLLZ is their only local station that super serves that demographic.

iHM will make a bid on play-by-play rights as such opportunities rise in an effort to help 106.7. I predict they'll fail in their quest to pry those rights away from Audacy.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:21 pm

Willie108 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:17 am
Should change the name of this thread to "Let's Slam WLLZ...AGAIN!!!"
They deserve every bit of scorn they get.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:03 pm

Have not paid attention to radio ratings in a long time and all I can say is...well.

WJR at the bottom of the heap, sports-talk being a 9 share.

edj

Post by edj » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am

If 106.7 slips below a 2 share, that's when they'll pull the trigger and try a half assed country format yet again. With WDRQ out of the picture, there's an opening. I doubt the Windsor country stations or W4 out of Ann Arbor pull much (and CFCO certainly doesn't).

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:14 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:15 pm
I agree that a resurrection of country at 106.7 cannot be ruled out.

More likely, though, iHM will stay the course. Their other stations locally under index with middle aged (and older) white males. WLLZ is their only local station that super serves that demographic.

iHM will make a bid on play-by-play rights as such opportunities rise in an effort to help 106.7. I predict they'll fail in their quest to pry those rights away from Audacy.
WDFN should have been moved to 106.7 two decades ago back in the early 2000s. I would love for another sports talk station to exist in Detroit. 106.7 The Fan would be a welcome choice on the radio dial. There is still plenty of talent out there to be had to build another solid sports talk station. The million question is, would iHateLocalRadio be willing to make the necessary investments to ensure that it is a 100% live and local format. The station would need to be live and local from 5am to midnight and on weekends from at least 10am to 10pm. Detroit sports radio listeners don't want syndicated national shows. Any national sports talk shows during the weekdays or during the days on weekends would bomb hard, just like they have done in every prior attempt.

I highly doubt iHateLocalRadio would make the necessary financial investments to get play-by-play rights. I also highly doubt that they would go out and hire the kind of staff it takes to run a good, live and local sports station. They would need to hire at least 10-12 local hosts/update reports and have a program director who understands how to program sports talk. I don't see any of this happening.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:34 pm

106.7 The Fan isn't happening and will never happen.
IFart is in the middle of yet another round of slaughtering air talent, and you think they'll put a 'live n local' sports format on 106.7 and make a play for PBP rights? :lol
After the joke that was sports on 105.1 I believe you're stuck with The Ticket for a longggg time.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:02 pm

iHM has successfully pried away NFL rights from other station owners in multiple markets over the past year or two, including the NY Jets mere days ago.

Just because the company is making cuts in certain areas doesn't necessarily mean there is a spending freeze everywhere. They are simply picking and choosing how their cash is deployed. The morning team that was just sacked in Atlanta was getting its ass kicked by the Cumulus country station in the market. Granted, there were a number of veterans in other markets with successful track records who were also sacked (mostly programmers, it appears).

I do agree an All Sports FM on 106.7 is unlikely. iHM airs NFL broadcasts on many of its rock and classic rock stations, including WDVE in Pittsburgh, WBIG-FM in Washington, KRFX in Denver, KIOZ in San Diego, and WEBN in Cincinnati. The Jets will now air on WAXQ in NYC. 2023 was the first season of their new agreement with the Miami Dolphins, with WBGG-FM (classic rock) now serving as flagship. Previously, Audacy's WQAM was flagship.

iHM bid on the Bears rights recently in the Chicago market but lost. They wanted to air the Bears on Rock 95.5.

By the way, 97.1's current agreement with the Lions began with the 2021 season. Such agreements generally run five years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic