Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Get off my lawn: TV news has jumped the shark

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Robert Faygo

Get off my lawn: TV news has jumped the shark

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:37 pm

Flipping between Fox 2 and Channel 7 on 20 covering the building that went kaplooey in Clinton Twp.

So, so pathetic. The news directors throw these poor field reporters under the bus by keeping them on live forever when there isn't anything to say that couldn't be said in 5-10 minutes.

They don't even try to give things like a Google map to narrow down the where. Barely a mention of the companies that occupied the building or what they are in business for.

Just beyond terrible.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

SD45

Re: Get off my lawn: TV news has jumped the shark

Post by SD45 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:58 pm

WXYZ had a prank caller they put through around 10:45. They compared the fire to a Howard Stern fart.

Why are they putting people on the phone? It really is overdone, especially after they put someone through fifteen minutes before that who was screwing around.

This isn't a very big building either. It's being made out to be a large factory.

It's along the railroad tracks, and many people went on Facebook saying a train derailed at first.
Last edited by SD45 on Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:13 pm

Loco 4 handled it way way better at 11 than 2 or 7 did at 10.

I didn't even bother to turn back on 2 or 7 at 11pm
Wellllll... la de frickin da

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:54 am

SD45 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:58 pm
WXYZ had a prank caller they put through around 10:45. They compared the fire to a Howard Stern fart.

Why are they putting people on the phone? It really is overdone, especially after they put someone through fifteen minutes before that who was screwing around.

This isn't a very big building either. It's being made out to be a large factory.

It's along the railroad tracks, and many people went on Facebook saying a train derailed at first.
That's hilarious re: WXYZ. I'd love to see a clip of the prank call!
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:39 am

The prank caller was interesting. The guy started talking to Glenda Lewis.

He said, "The heat is hot like a fart from Howard Stern's @$$". They hung up a couple seconds later.

I switched over from Fox 2 to TV20 and nearly missed it.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:14 pm

I've said this before, probably under another pseudonym. Does a local newscast have to be live? I'm talking a good 15 minute delay. From start to finish. Correct any technical difficulties and gaffes and what not.

How many viewers would even notice the absence of the "Live" bug in the corner of the screen. Unless it's daylight out and the shots at night, those at home are going to assume you're live without being told.

Sure there would be exceptions when you have to be live. But 99 percent of the time I don't think it would really matter. Take for example yesterday's warehouse fire. Would it of really mattered if it was recorded 15 minutes earlier? It's already involved. What's the big deal anyway.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:20 pm

Shout out to scanner of warren news coverage for this horrible event and providing tremendous details way before Channel 2, 4, 7 and 62.

I was watching it all unfold live on scanner of warren hours before the major news. All that money wasted at the big news to not even cover the largest story occurring in the metro Detroit area.

Give Scanner of warren all the local news awards. Well-deserved.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:06 pm

This was a horrific event indeed for those who happened to be within a one mile radius of the explosion site.

Someone a few blocks away who was in the wrong place at the wrong time was literally killed by shrapnel.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 850610007/

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 851330007/
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:06 pm

Flipping between Fox 2 and Channel 7 on 20 covering the building that went kaplooey in Clinton Twp. (Care of Robert Faygo)...

Luv the "kaplooey" adjective, I believe that word might have been used a few times during fight scenes on the 60's "Batman" TV show....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic