Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How many different songs does WCSX play?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
n8fnr

How many different songs does WCSX play?

Post by n8fnr » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:04 pm

I rarely listen to any local music stations other than WAHS, WDET or WRCJ. Sometimes I do put on WCSX and I swear that it is always Aerosmith doing Walk this Way. Maybe I am exaggerating but it seems like they have a VERY limited playlist.

Does anyone have any idea how many different songs they are allowed to play? I am guessing 300 or so.

Mega Hertz

Re: How many different songs does WCSX play?

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:13 pm

It generally goes in waves of about 250 or so, give or take, depending on the ratings. You have your "powers" which are constant rotation, anyway. Usually the "secondary" and "tertiary" get rotated, but that list isn't H***, either.

IIRC, we had between 250 and 300 at times, except for when Doug FM was beating our ass, it was between 150 and 200.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:31 pm

Most stations have about 750 "life cycle" songs, so 250 in any given month.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:42 pm

Did nobody in radio pick up on the idea that people go to their iPods because they can choose from way more than 200 songs on repeat and the listeners get bored as hell?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:46 pm

Look, man. If I don't get my More Than a Feeling by 9am, I'm cranky as hell all day.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:53 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:46 pm
Look, man. If I don't get my More Than a Feeling by 9am, I'm cranky as hell all day.
Set it on repeat for 3 hours and you’ll also be cranky by 9am. Hooray phone music.

n8fnr

Post by n8fnr » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:14 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:42 pm
Did nobody in radio pick up on the idea that people go to their iPods because they can choose from way more than 200 songs on repeat and the listeners get bored as hell?
I have not listened to them for more than 5 minutes for decades. I would rather listen to nothing than WCSX and most other local stations. How anyone can listen to the same exact crap over and over is beyond me. Why do stations insist on doing this? Seems like a poor business model that is destined to drive listeners away.

If I want to listen to an OTA music station it is WAHS and WDET. We also listen to a lot of classical so we have CBE, WKAR and WRCJ. I have a 5 element yagi BTW.

But 75% of the time I have one of these streaming; KRVM, WOMR, WVKR, BBC Radio 4, Radio Paradise, Radio Caroline, WQXR and WFCC (my favorite station callsign ever).

I am 70 and still enjoy hearing new music or older rock that I have never heard before. That is something I love about Radio Caroline. They play.a lot of older British and European rock that I have never heard before.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:23 pm

+1 for Radio Paradise. Find me a station with the balls to play Nirvana after Beethoven and not make it sound jarring. I have it on a lot when I’m working in my office.

For the audiophiles, it streams in FLAC quality, and sounds phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
take this job and shove it

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:15 pm

I'll try out Radio Paradise... Here are my favorites.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:07 am

The limited playlists of stations like WCSX are the reason why I fork out $23 a month to listen to the different classic rock stations on SiriusXM in my car.

On the other hand, they must be doing something right, with their consistently high ratings (https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb011). Like a lot of other OTA stations, I think they are played in a lot of group settings (restaurants, cars with several people, bars, bowling alleys, etc.). There's something about group settings that drives people towards lowest common denominator experiences.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:23 am

You could negotiate that rate down to $10 a month (or less) quite easily. Just sayin'. 😁

I've been paying $6.06 a month, taxes and fees included, since last spring. I get all channels and have streaming privileges for that super low price.

(Yes, I'm a cheap bastard.)
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:02 pm

n8fnr wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:04 pm
I rarely listen to any local music stations other than WAHS, WDET or WRCJ. Sometimes I do put on WCSX and I swear that it is always Aerosmith doing Walk this Way. Maybe I am exaggerating but it seems like they have a VERY limited playlist.
A very limited playlist?

If you want to hear worn out songs that youve heard a million times already WCSX is your station!

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:10 pm

n8fnr wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:14 pm
.... I have not listened to them for more than 5 minutes for decades. I would rather listen to nothing than WCSX and most other local stations. How anyone can listen to the same exact crap over and over is beyond me ...
You'll never guess what I pondered when I seen this.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:52 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:23 am
You could negotiate that rate down to $10 a month (or less) quite easily. Just sayin'. 😁

I've been paying $6.06 a month, taxes and fees included, since last spring. I get all channels and have streaming privileges for that super low price.

(Yes, I'm a cheap bastard.)
Bingo. Just say you’ll cancel your subscription and they’ll bring it right down. My parents have done that every year for a decade now, though I didn’t know you can get the stream included (I think they pay $5/month for streaming and I use that part).

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:01 am

There's so much more out there...it drives me nuts that WRIF and WCSX, being sister stations, practically share a playlist these days. I understand why to a degree. If you missed "Sweet child o' mine" on WRIF, just flip to their sister station WCSX and hear it again in five minutes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic