Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

C'mon Channel 4...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

C'mon Channel 4...

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:34 am

Wanda Squawker, I mean Rhonda Walker, shortly after 5a this morning said "Jennifer Crumbley could face up to 60 years in prison."

That remark by Walker is incorrect.

Under Michigan law, the sentences for each count of involuntary manslaughter would be served concurrently. Thus, the maximum sentence would be 15 years, not 60 years.

Do people working in newsrooms do *any* research before putting stories on the air???

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

dial-it-in

Re: C'mon Channel 4...

Post by dial-it-in » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:52 am

Ive noticed multiple errors on multiple stations lately.
The copy writing and fact checking is in freefall.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:20 am

In the 5pm Local 4 newscast Christy McDonald interviewed former criminal defense attorney, prosecutor, and county court judge and current Cooley Law School professor Jeffrey Swartz. I just watched it again on my DVR and these were his exact words:

"The sentences have to run concurrent. They cannot be consecutive to each other under Michigan law. So she is going to get 15 years. I have absolutely no doubt that Judge Matthews is very intent on maxing her out. It was clear from her attitude during the trial as I watching it so clearly she is going to give her 15 years and that is just going to be the sentence. That is the way I see it."

He had to have corrected himself because in this article on the Local 4 site he gave a completely different answer:

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/loc ... onviction/

[Quoting the article] Because Crumbley was convicted of four counts of involuntary manslaughter, it is possible she could be sentenced to a maximum of 60 years in prison if the judge decides to hand down the maximum sentence -- and if the judge decides to make those sentences consecutive. Some experts believe this sentence would be harsh under the circumstances.

That would be pretty severe, to sentence Mrs. Crumbley to 60 years. That’s basically a life sentence for her,” Jeffrey Swartz, a former criminal defense attorney, prosecutor, and county court judge, told Local 4 on Tuesday. “I think that that’s a bit much. She might stack two of them and run the other two concurrent. I don’t know what she’s going to do -- but, yes, it’s 15 years per count and they can be stacked one on top of another.”

There is a very long way to go but I'm so ready for this story to end. It has pretty much been nonstop ever since it happened.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:57 am

So a bonified legal expert gave 4 two different answers to this detail. Walker and the producer/writer can be excused for the mix up. This is not common knowledge and I had questions about concurrent or consequent sentences myself and I've been in the courthouse for the duration of this trial and countless others. IMO she gets 5 years with 2 1/4 already served. James likely gets 2 more years unless he pleads guilty before his trial because he bought the gun.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:05 am

Excellent info, SteveS. That certainly helps explain Rhonda's comment. My sincere apologies to the WDIV team, as this question is not as clear cut as I had thought.

There seems to be differing viewpoints regarding the maximum possible sentence the judge could conceivably issue:

https://www-cbsnews-com.cdn.ampproject. ... shooter%2F

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox2de ... y-says.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive. ... utType=amp

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/oxford ... index.html

The most probable takeaway here seems to be that the Judge will very likely allow the sentences to be served concurrently but is not necessarily required to do so.

Getting back to channel 4, perhaps they need to find a new legal expert.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:22 am

I see that the story for the URL in my previous post has been updated to reflect the 15 year max that wasn't there at the time of my earlier post:

This article has been corrected to note that the maximum sentence possible for Jennifer Crumbley is 15 years, and not 60 years. The legal expertise we were initially provided was incorrect for this case. The Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office confirmed this fact for us on Feb. 7.

jsf

Post by jsf » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:22 pm

4 must be having a problem lately,the banner on the bottom of the screen the other day stated that the US had bombed Syria and IRAN. I guess all those places that start with I are the same?
Last edited by jsf on Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:06 pm

SteveS wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:22 am
I see that the story for the URL in my previous post has been updated to reflect the 15 year max that wasn't there at the time of my earlier post:

This article has been corrected to note that the maximum sentence possible for Jennifer Crumbley is 15 years, and not 60 years. The legal expertise we were initially provided was incorrect for this case. The Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office confirmed this fact for us on Feb. 7.
Major kudos to channel 4 for addressing and correcting the inconsistent info it previously provided.

It is refreshing to see a news organization not only correct its error, but to actually acknowledge the error!

The other news organizations that flubbed this important piece of info should follow WDIV's lead and issue corrections to their prior reporting.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:51 pm

If I was the judge the mom gets 15 years since that is the max. I wish the parents would've just pled guilty and be over with you knew the son had mental issues you did nothing to get him help with his mental health when he had red flags all over the place, all of them can go to hell.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic